• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

6 months old, won't / can't jump

jlaw

We have a 6 month old Blenheim boy (Winston). He is very energetic, runs/bounds around, eats normally, etc... seems to be in perfect health. However, he does not seem to be able to jump up on things. He can jump down from the couch, but that's about it. He won't even try to jump back up... he just stands there on two feet and sort of lunges a little, but never gets a real solid push to launch himself. It doesn't even seem like he's trying.

The vet has never said anything appears to be out of sorts, but then again, I've never asked the vet about jumping. I figure if he was going to do it, he'd have started to by now. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Hes still only a baby,i wouldnt be worried at all.I would worry about him jumping off things more.My 9 month old has only just started getting up on the sofa,he hasnt tried the bed yet.He waits for me to help him up,which is sensible .

I wouldn't worry about him just yet. Our pup wasn't able to jump on couches or beds at that age,she used to bark to be picked up on my lap.
When she was seven months old we went on holidays and left her to my parents for two weeks.
She came back home with all the skills to not only jump on couches but on beds and windowsills as well.
Basically she watched and learned from my parents' yellow lab. Their couch was lower than ours and she had plenty of practice.Enjoy it while it lasts,in a few weeks I predict you'll be vacuuming dog hairs off your couches and beds just like the rest of us:p.
Sins

Next time you are at your vet I would make sure he/she checks his knees and checks that there are nothing wrong with them. :)

Having said that, I also do agree that he is very young ;) Maybe he's just not ready yet! :flwr:

The first thing I would have your vet double check is your puppy's kneecaps, and make sure they're not dislocated. The medical term is patella luxation. Of course I don't know if that's what he has, but let us know!
You can read more about this condition on my website (I'm a surgeon :). While you're there, you might want to check out the (free) newsletter!

Dr Zeltzman
http://drphilzeltzman.com/

Thanks all! I will have the vet check him out next time he's in just to be safe. Much appreciated.

We have tile and/or wood floors. When the boys' pads need trimming they'll start to slip a bit, and hesitate to jump up like they normally do. Also, if they slip when landing after jumping down and it startles them, they get shy about jumping down the next time. If they actually hurt themselves jumping (and both of ours have) it may be several days after they look perfectly well before they work up the courage to start jumping again.

Update: Winston jumped on the couch for the first time last night!

He was all riled up because we were squeaking his toy and playing fetch. Usually when we have it on the couch, he stands on his hind legs and sort of hops/lunges at it. All of a sudden, he came running towards the L-bend of the couch, did a little hop off of one side, bounced off the other, and scrambled up onto the couch like a little furry Spiderman!

It wasn't a "true" jump but it's major progress... he's also becoming much less timid about jumping down. We're very relieved.

Hey doc! Enjoying the mailing list so far.

I have that written down in my BB for his next appointment. Given that he isn't exhibiting any obvious signs of discomfort, I had planned on having it checked at his next vet visit (neutering, in one or two months). Do you think it needs immediate attention even though he seems normal and doesn't appear to be in any pain?

I had the same thing with Sparky when he was small but it was with the stairs - going up was no problem at all but down was like 'no way'! All of a sudden one day he just started going down all by himself!

Our 9 month old cavalier Rosie is almost cat like. She climbs onto the window sill using the sofa and lies down to sleep so she can keep an eye on whats happening in the street. If the door bell rings and someone is sitting on the sofa blocking her way down she will leap over their heads onto the floor. :eek:
She also will try to race you down the stairs and will jump from the fourth step from the bottom so she beats you. She is far more athletic than our cocker spaniel who can't even make the jump onto the window sill.

Jlaw,

I wouldn't wait 2 months. If (I really, really insist), IF he has kneecap issues, there may be no pain yet, but the cartilage is starting to wear off, and that will lead to arthritis. So why wait? I would humbly suggest a consult with your vet.

If there is a problem, then a surgeon in your area can take care of it (and possibly neuter at the same time). If there is no problem, then you can sleep in peace.

Either way, your puppy wins.

Glad you enjoy the newsletter.

Dr Zeltzman
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Back