• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'v had it with making dog food

linderbelle

Ok. Been at this almost 2 months. Now I have two with diarrhea so obviously I am not doing this right. I thought this was best for my babies but obviously it isn't. I'm hanging it up. Pushing send on this post and off to the pet store for kibble.

What are you giving them? Is it possible something specific that doesnt agree with them?

I give mine a small portion of kibble (is that American for dry dog food??) in the morning and then in the evening they get a portion of mixed veggies with a small bit of kibble mixed through it. Touch wood we have had no diarrhoea. When mine eat, they hang on to it :p. They have also had some chicken when its going spare (they love this).

Then Prince gets apple pieces for treats and if they are really good (so basically every day) they get one dog treat each.
I am not a mean dog owner Prince is on a diet. Its also keeping Belle at a nice weight though so I dont think its any harm for her to be having the same.

Have you introduced the new diet gradually? Im no expert on home made dog food, but I just know that any time I changed to a different brand of dog food I had to do it extremely gradually - over a month or so period.

I learned the hard way by not doing this - all my 3 get really bad diarrhea if there are any sudden changes to their diets.

Ok. Been at this almost 2 months. Now I have two with diarrhea so obviously I am not doing this right. I thought this was best for my babies but obviously it isn't. I'm hanging it up. Pushing send on this post and off to the pet store for kibble.

I make homemade food for my crew WHEN they have an upset gut. It usually calms it down immediately. Are you sure the dogs don't have an overgrowth of giardia or other parasite that is upsetting their systems?

Hi Linda, it wouldn't hurt them a bit to go back to dry food for a while to give yourself time to read up on cooking for your pack. Once you feel knowledgeable, then you can start up again. In the meantime, a good kibble will be fine and you can know they are getting proper nutrition.
Mine get kibble and several times a week I mix in some veggies (green beans, carrots, peas) and a bit of fruit (apple without the seeds...not too much, pear, blueberries, etc). I always save my leftover meat if it was cooked without seasonings or onion and give them that a few times a week, too, or use the meat as training treats, cutting back on the kibble a bit those days to compensate). Really, the extra is to give them a bit of variety so they don't get bored. Most of their nutrients come from the kibble (probably 90% of their diet is the dog food). I am no expert, but all my dogs get compliments on their nice coats (collie and malamute mix, too) eating a diet primarily of kibble. They are good weight, good energy, healthy, etc. Right now mine rotate Taste of the Wild, grain free formula and Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb and Rice.
Good luck and don't let frustration stop you from trying the home cooking if that is what you really want. I'd just take time off while you educate yourself. You won't feel rushed or worried about how the dogs are being affected in the meantime if you are giving them dog food while you gather your knowledge.

Back