• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

brushing?!..help!

Katelyn

My cav won't let me brush her at all! she thinks it's a game and just squirms away and bites the brush and then runs away with it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice because I'd love to give her a good brush in the evenings without her getting excited and runing around like its the best game ever! Also today my sister managed to knock a glass of coke over and some of it landed on scarlett who was beside her and now her fur is a little bit sticky i tried spraying some water on it and brushing it out but she wouldnt stay still long enough for me to brush her properly and she was only bathed last week so I cant bath her again anytime soon!
any suggestions would be great!!
thanks.

how old is she ? :) Faith doesn't like to be brushed but she is easily coerced with praise and cookies ;) Also I scratch her in between and give her loves so she tolerates it.. I'll comb her chest a bit and then rub her chest a bit :)

Honestly I would bathe my dog if she had sticky fur from pop. If you're opposed to that, I would at least get her wet in the area to get it out - how uncomfortable!

Ilsa is the worst brushee you've ever seen, as soon as I grab the brush she's hiding under the couch. If I hold her still she wiggles so much that I can't get in to the little tangly spots.

Often I wait till she's sleeping. I can usually get a bit done before she wakes up and realizes what's happening. I clip knots with a baby nail clipper so when she wiggles I won't cut her.

I just take her to the groomers often, let the pros handle it! and keep her rear and inside ear short. She never did get better, though the groomers tell me she's perfect. I guess I'm just well trained!

Jen and Ilsa

She's seven months! I managed to fill a spray with water and chase her around the house till I got rid of all the sticky stuff! Hopefully she'll get used to brushing soon!

Bribery works very well for us! A really nice, preferably chewy, treat gets her up on the ottomon that serves as our grooming table and usually gets us through the whole brushing even though she finishes the treat well before the brushing is over. If it's a very small or quick treat, I'll give her one at first but I'll have another one visible and at the ready, so she knows not to jump off and leave after the first one. It's a deal we have made over the years. :rah:

Actually, she has come to like being brushed after the initial tangly part is over, so she usually lays there like a sack of potatoes after the treat is gone now anyway, unless she's in a mischievous mood. Then she'll jump off, go 5 feet away and stand and look at me as if to say "Well, that's the time allotted for one treat. If you want more time, pony up with another!"

The first few times, I would recommend having someone else holding a largish, longish treat that she really likes, letting your dog bite off the end of it as you are brushing her. That way she will be totally distracted for a significant period of time and you can get the job done. (I've joked that Daisy could forego general anesthesia during surgery using this method!)

Over time with lots of repetitions, she will probably get the picture and be happy to accommodate your annoying brushing insistence if she gets a treat for it! :p Plus, if you do this every day, the brushing sessions will be short and relatively pull-free because she won't get tangled too badly in between.

And there is no law that says that you can't give a dog a bath 2 weeks in a row! If you are using a good dog shampoo that's appropriate for her, it won't hurt her in the least! Personally, I cannot stand a doggy smell and Daisy gets a bath every week to 10 days. And she's got no dry skin, no itches, and a beautiful, shiny coat. I know every dog is different, but seriously, it won't hurt her if she needs an extra bath now and then!

Back