• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sarcoptic Mange

pcfarrar

Our 10 month old cavalier Rosie was recently diagnosed with sarcoptic mange. She has been scratching and chewing her paws for a good few months and it recently became worse so we took her to the vets. They first thought it was allergies but we took her back again to a different vet a few days later and he said classic sarcoptic mange symptoms. They did a blood test and confirmed sarcoptic mange was present. The vet reckoned it was caught from a fox as we have foxes in our garden at night.
She was given Advocate and antibiotics, this was around a week ago. The scratching has subsided somewhat in that time but is still present. Has anyone had a cavalier with sarcoptic mange, how long did a full recovery take? She had some terrible open wounds on her head/neck from scratching and big clumps of fur were falling out, we had never seen anything like it before :(

Sarcoptic mange

My 10-year old ruby was diagnosed with the same thing (and from the same cause) in July last year. Both her hind legs were badly affected, especially around her elbows and her tail was almost bald at one point. We started monthly Advocate immediately.

It took about 3 months for the small spots to disappear and a further 3-4 months for the hair to start to grow back on her hind legs. As she is now, the hair is covering all the skin, but it still hasn't grown back to its full length yet.

As she was diagnosed with SM around the same time, we thought at one stage that the bald patches were a result of Gabapentin tablets, but my own vet was convinced that "something else was going on" at the same time - a good reminder not to forget about all other diagnoses once you get the big one!

My vet has advised me to treat her (and my two other dogs) with Advocate every 4 weeks for the rest of her life. It seems drastic, but I would do anything to prevent that happening again - she was so miserable.

Good luck with your little Rosie - there IS light at the end of the tunnel :)

Marie-Anne and Megan

My Cavalier had Sarcopitic Mange when she was a pup, poor thing was scratching like crazy and lost loads of hair on her body. She had to be sprayed and we had to bathe her in foul smelling shampoo (the spray was very smelly too). She was also put onto antibiotics because her skin was so raw but she didn't have any open wounds. It took a few weeks until she was totally clear but she made a full recovery.

It's very unpleasent for everyone involved (both you and the dog) and it can take a while for it all to settle down but it is very treatable. Perhaps ask your vet if there is anything you can put onto her skin to soothe it a bit but unfortunately with Mange, as long as it is successfully treated, it is really a waiting game until everything is back to normal. Hope it all goes ok for you.

Rosie had lots of open wounds from scratching but they heal very quickly. Over the past few days we've noticed a significant improvement, she is still scratching but is much more active and playful.

A friend of ours who is an Irish cavalier breeder told us to get some special oil from a lady in Scotland to put on the sores. I've forgotten its name something like ekeem and is supposed to be very effective. Just waiting for it to arrive.

After a month of treatment Rosie is well on her way to recovering. The change in her behaviour over the past month has been incredible. She went from being lethargic and not wanting to play back to her old very active self. Most of the fur has now regrown on her legs. The bad news is our cocker spaniel caught it as well.

Back