• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Water bowl recommendations for US people??

linderbelle

I did a search for what everybody is using and I did find the one thread and the bowl that Karlin recommended but it is from Europe. Has anybody found anything in the states to keep their ears out of the water? Our newest Chelsea's ears absolutely get soaked and then off she goes and water all over my new hardwood floors. :( Right now I'm using a very small tuperware bowl--almost need something taller and diameter not very wide.

water bowls

I did a search for what everybody is using and I did find the one thread and the bowl that Karlin recommended but it is from Europe. Has anybody found anything in the states to keep their ears out of the water? Our newest Chelsea's ears absolutely get soaked and then off she goes and water all over my new hardwood floors. :( Right now I'm using a very small tuperware bowl--almost need something taller and diameter not very wide.

They have lovely ones on spanielbowls.com, as you say narrow at the top and quite tall. They are a US company so should be easy for you:)

Cindy Koehring makes the most wonderful spaniel bowls. She is based in the US and we actually had them shipped over here to the UK. They are all handmade to order and you can have a variety of special things added ie bones around the sides or your dog's name. She is a lovely person, patient and extremely helpful and also really talented.

I never found anything that worked well. The one I ordered from the internet was huge, and I had to send it back. The company said they've had a lot of requests for smaller spaniel bowls, but no one seems to make them. The pottery ones on spanielbowls.com are gorgeous, but VERY pricey in my opinion. I know a lot of work goes into making them, but I'd be afraid of chipping them, etc. after paying so much money. I would really like to have one in stainless steel. Let us know if you find anything that works for you.

I ordered a spaniel bowl from spanielbowls.com (Cindy Koehring) and I LOVE it. I got it quickly and it is gorgeous and very functional. Dishwasher safe and looks great. Ears are dry, too! (which was why I bought it in the first place)
I ordered the large size and it is perfect for two cavaliers (size is how much it holds, not the size of the opening. They all have the same size opening).

I actually just bought a cat waterer (the ones with the jugs the refill the bowl)

Granted I have to refill it every day or two - but I like to wash it daily so that wasn't a problem for me.

I love it because the bowl is small and shallow so it works for a cav and my setter.

I found an ice cream bowl at the Dollar Store of all places. Narrow at the top so her ears flop over the sides of the bowl perfectly.

The spaniel bowls are lovely but can she make them raised? Ilsa has SM and needs a raised bowl. Any ideas? Also loved her pill holder, great idea, I usually keep a checklist.

Jen and Ilsa

Hi Jen, The spaniel bowls can be used on a table. In her section of photos of customers dogs with their bowls, one of them has a set up on a little table, and it looked like they must have routered out a slot in the wood to prevent the bowls from sliding off.
I love my spaniel bowl! Now, I have to figure out how to keep their ears dry when they go to get water out of the big water bowl on the porch. Lad and Kaya drink too much to use a spaniel bowl. It never fails, they come inside with soaking wet ears after gettin ahold of the outside water bowl.

I can't tell exactly which one is the "long haired" bowl (maybe the one on the right?), but there is one here:

1530102_L.jpg

here's the link: http://www.jbpet.com/Stainless-Non-Tip-Bowl,1896.html

I am thinking I might order one for myself ... only $5.99 .... I love the handmade ceramic spaniel bowls, but really can't justify $70 right now on one that Sparky will probably knock out of my hand and break.

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Hard to justify also 70 bucks --especially we need the minimum of 2--one for here and one for our "summer" place. Like the price of the last two posted. Maybe try one of each since they are so reasonable in price.

Hi Lani, I tried bowls like the ones you pictured. Yes, the one on the right would be the one. The problem is, to keep the ears dry, you have to order a fairly small one, and when you do, it just doesn't hold enough water. It was a waste of money to me.
I got my large spaniel bowl for $67 shipped and insured. It is very durable since they are fired twice at such high temperatures the way they are. Plus, the way they are glazed and fired, they are as safe as a stainless bowl (the same grade of safety as our dishwasher safe china) and dishwasher safe, too.
I might get a water hole bowl for travel, but would not use it at home or frequently due to the chemicals in the plastic leeching out into the water. I recently read how much worse that exposure is for dogs than it is for people due to how condensed their lifespans are. They specifically name the problem of pets drinking out of plastic bowls as one source of the toxins.
These toxic chemicals build up more quickly in dogs bodies and cause more negative health effects. Here is the article in Dog Fancy Magazine:
http://www.ewg.org/files/dogfency_0902.pdf

Hi Lani, I tried bowls like the ones you pictured. Yes, the one on the right would be the one. The problem is, to keep the ears dry, you have to order a fairly small one, and when you do, it just doesn't hold enough water. It was a waste of money to me.

Hmm, well it says the long haired bowl holds a quart. Maybe it is too big though. I have a JB near me, so maybe I'll go check it out this weekend. Sparky would DEFINITELY break a ceramic bowl ... he has before, so that's a waste of money to me until he calms down again. He is really assertive when it comes to food (I know this is water, but he will knock stuff out of my hand as I pick it off the floor to refill). I think Sparky is just this way because he's a rescue and he's used to having to be agressive for food at the mill or not getting to eat. Anyway, they currently drink out of two small stainless steel bowls, so if the bowl's too small but worked otherwise, I'd probably buy a second. I refill fairly frequently anyway.

I wouldn't get a plastic dish either. I'm too concerned about leeching of toxins as well.

The spaniel bowls are lovely but can she make them raised? Ilsa has SM and needs a raised bowl. Any ideas? Also loved her pill holder, great idea, I usually keep a checklist.

Jen and Ilsa

Jen, Cindy can make the bowls raised in several different ways. I can not tell you how beautiful these bowls are. They are VERY durable so don't worry about them breaking easily. The food bowls are just the right size for an adult cavalier and they take up the same amount of space in the dishwasher as a mug! I wholeheartedly recommend these bowls as one of the best investments for your little guy. They are PERFECT at keeping the ears dry and clean as they are just the right size opening. I have seen other spaniel bowls where the opening is still too big and ears are still in the water :( Spanielbowls.com's bowls are just right. If you want to know more about the different ways Cindy can make the raised bowls you should go on her website and email her. She is most helpful and very friendly.

I actually just bought a cat waterer (the ones with the jugs the refill the bowl)

Granted I have to refill it every day or two - but I like to wash it daily so that wasn't a problem for me.

I love it because the bowl is small and shallow so it works for a cav and my setter.

I have the same thing, with a dog and 3 cats it works well and no wet ears.

Here are Bandit and Lizzie with their large size spaniel bowl we've had about 6 weeks. I placed the order, paid with paypal and had it on my doorstep in two days. Cindy was great to work with. Bandit's ears are still pretty short, but Lizzie's were getting soaked. Unfortunately, they still get their ears in the big dog's water some.
But, this bowl is sturdy, works great, and no more wet ears! I luv it...

DSCF1151.jpg

DSCF1155.jpg

DSCF1156.jpg

Love the pics of Bandit and Lizzie! Those bowls are beautiful and very well-made. Someone donated some for our Auction last month during the Specialty. I would love to get one!

Back