• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

YIKES! She's jumping the gate

Mom of Jato

Naughty little Zoey has just figured out she can jump over the baby gate! :eek: Jato has never even attempted to do this, but leave it to Zoey to figure out how. I use the gate to keep them from going upstairs (the cat wouldn't like them up there). As soon as she jumps over, she heads straight up the stairs and eats the cat food by the time I can catch her. Now what do I do??? :confused:

Feed your cat high up, or adjust your cat to eating 2 or 3 times a day. You can leave the food down for kitty 15-30 mins and pick it up after the allotted time. We feed one of our cats in a separate room and one on top of a cat tree. If you own your own home, you could put in a cat door to one of the rooms.

you can buy a dog gate which is higher than a baby gate. I found it very useful for phoebe who jumped the baby gate many times!

I found it very useful for phoebe who jumped the baby gate many times

Of course she did; she's an agility dog! :lol:

Baby gates are pretty low -- if you have a jumper. Jaspar has no problem jumping over baby gates either!

I feed my cats up on a counter the dogs cannot reach; have also fed on a shelf high up and reachable from the cat tree.

I feed my cat up high, but that doesn't stop Amber from getting up there if we're out of the house. I've trained her to stay away from the cat food and from jumping up on the bench beside the table, yet when we're away... the doggie will play! I try to remedy this by blocking her access to the kitchen and computer room (too many temptations there, too!). I built some high gates that I thought were doing the job, but I forgot to brace one of the gates with a chair when I left... I thought it was good without it. So what do you think happened while I was out? The little stinker found the weak spot... nudged the panel on the bottom corner and found it would give way to the promised land! It was a kitty food feast, along with Daddy Slipper Surprise (the surprise was on hubby when he found his slippers slobbered upon!) and a few little plastic medicine cups (empty) that were chewed beyond recognition. She even managed to nudge open my bedroom door and steal MY slippers! At least she didn't damage anything that wasn't disposable. Hubby and I still have evening footwear... for the moment!

Moral of the story - have high gates and make sure they don't tip easily!

Melissa

I agree the pet ones are much better. Petsmart had them on sale--not sure if the still do--we got 3 of them about 3 weeks ago. They are great--have a little gate also so you don't have to take them down or climb over yourself to get over them. I have one by the stairs as I don't want them up there--one by our office to isolate them in here and another by the downstairs bedroom areas to keep them out of there also. Also, the one by the stairs makes it a whole lot easier to answer my front door. :)

Thank you brotymo!!! The vertical bar gate you suggested looks great! I sure hope it works. (y) Zoey is sooooo different than my laid-back Jato. I lover her to pieces, but she keeps me on my toes. :rolleyes:

I have a doggy gate instead of a baby gate you can get it from any good pet store. Saba has tried so many times to jump it -trying to chase our cat- but just can't, it's so sad... :rotfl:

Try to get one with Vertical bars so they can't climb it :)

My kitchen table has never been used for anything other than feeding the cat for the last 17 years.

what height is too low?

what height gate is good. is 18 inches too low for an adult cavalier to jump over?

any recommendations for an extra wide gate ?
I want to block off the living room entrance from the kitchen (about 60 inches) but it's the only way out
so I'd like to be able to step over the gate with ease.

Naughty little Zoey has just figured out she can jump over the baby gate! :eek: Jato has never even attempted to do this, but leave it to Zoey to figure out how. I use the gate to keep them from going upstairs (the cat wouldn't like them up there). As soon as she jumps over, she heads straight up the stairs and eats the cat food by the time I can catch her. Now what do I do??? :confused:

Archie stund as all last week he jumped on to the kitchen table to get Ella,all the dinner went flying.

Everyone might remember that my ruby, Arthur, was the same way! (this is still one of my fave pics of my monster)

288175840_a19e4b916c.jpg

The vertical gates do work and we haven't had any escapes since it was installed. We purchased the kind that has a gate in it and it stays up all the time. The boys have a room in our house that has a tile floor where they stay while we are out. I just say "kennel up" and my fur balls run through the gate!

YES- the vertical gate works wonderful!!! :rah: I had to buy 2 extensions to go with it so that it would fit the wide opening into the kitchen. I love that it has a swing gate so we don't have to climb over. It comes in white or black metal, and looks a bit nicer than the typical plastic baby gates.

the pet ones have nice little doors in them which are so much easier than trying to climb over the other ones or having to take them down and up all the time. They are alot more expensive but well worth it imo. Also, years ago when we had a cat we used to keep its food on top of the dryer where my shih tzu couldn't get it. I have a gate that is very similar to what brotymo posted.

Thats why we have had vertical bars ONLY in the kennels.cant get a paw hold to climb up.

Back