• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ruby or tri

nicola

OK so we have now found a very good breeder who will have a tri pup available. We had originally been looking for a tri however after no success had starting thinking about a ruby. Now that we have a choice we can't decide which one to go for....both are from very good breeders and both lovely pups. I know it is a personal choice but am just interested to know what others would do....so.....if you were getting another cav and had the choice would it be a ruby or a tri?

Maybe go and meet the dogs and see which one appears to be the healthiest. If you meet them I'm sure one of them will have that special bond with you regardless of colour. Good luck :flwr:

Well I have one of each, their personalities are very different. The tri is quite timid and steady, calm and quiet, but is also a bit sharp when there are treats around, grabbing them quickly, on the other hand, the ruby is more boisterous and barks at lots of things, but also is a very gentle little character too.
Its a tough call, I just love them both!:lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

If you're on the fence, I would come up with a list of the temperament of your "perfect dog" (calm, laid back or active, curious) and tell the breeder. They will know the dog's personality and you should choose based on that instead of the color if you feel equally comfortable with both breeders. Supposedly, when pups are very young, before 6 wks old, there are clear personality indicators that the breeder should have picked up on. Don't know if that's true though!

i am slightly biased :) but i love tri's, my theory is that they are a bit of each colour!

I love my little Ruby girl! She is so much fun, but at the same time, very patient, and loving. She is not a barker, but really enjoys getting in your face and giving lots of kisses. We sometimes call her Lizard tongue- she licks so fast. :jump: If you can't decide between the two by speaking with the breeders, I would go visit each of them and see which one steals your heart.

Pity you can't have both....or can you???
I prefer tris to rubys,but once you raise a cavalier puppy on your lap, it's puppy love no matter what the colour.
I think if you Mum is seriously interested in showing then let her choose the best show prospect.
Sins

I'm partial to the wholecolors, but I would definitely base it on personality as opposed to color. Do you have another dog already? If so, I would definitely want the best match for my other dog. When we had Miles (ruby) and decided to get another dog we chose soley based on which puppy our breeder thought would be best with him since he is very laid back and passive (both our dogs are from the same breeder). She recommended the black and tan male over the 3 girls in the litter because he was the calmest and the girls were a little rougher, and she was right...our boys are the best of friends! Go with personality! (y)

Hi

I agree with sins what about both then you don't have to choose ,plus I also think you cant really pick one over the other cos as they are Cavaliers they are equally beautiful.:):)

oh you people are bad, very very bad lol! It of course is a consideration...will keep you posted!

I'd be looking at the personality of the dog for the type of pet I wanted. Colour would be the absolute last consideration for me especially if choosing between only two options! I'd talk in depth to each breeder about what I was looking for as a companion and about what the breeder predicts for each puppy. The number one cause of rehoming in rescue for me is people who clearly took 'the puppy that chose them' -- eg the most outgoing puppy and most likely to be a constantly demanding, active adult -- and failed to discuss personality with the sole person who could help them choose wisely, the breeder.

Think about what you want -- there is a huge difference and a huge potential for problems for the person who gets the dog most suited for agility and activity when they wanted a calm lapdog (I cannot count the number of 'too active' dogs I have had to rehome). The former will cause serious behaviour issues if not given the mental and physical challenges s/he needs. A quiet dog will be miserable if an owner wants an really active outdoor dog or a dog to show or do therapy etc.

Talk to the breeder about the adult personality you want, and base a decision accordingly, not on the colour. (y) If the colour is important, then hold out for more options to get the right personality.

You're absolutely right Karlin!! The temperment is the primary consideration. As pups of both litters are very young there is still some choice available and the personality will be the main thing we look at. Can anyone give advice as to what is best combo 2 females or a male and a female?

I have a tri and a ruby and couldn't be happier. The breeder knew that I hope to do agility with Max so she picked him for us - actually it was between a tri and Max and I let hubby choose. I was just so happy to be getting a puppy I didn't care.

I have 2 tri's and a Blenheim. They all three are so different in personality. If you can only get one I'd spend time with both then decide. You'll end up with both for sure.

I would go by personality/temperament. :) I would choose a friendly, calm, affectionate puppy who is not afraid to approach people.

That's how we chose India, and she is such a sweetie. She passed her therapy dog test, first try with no special therapy training - it's all in the temperament. :)

Back