• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Changing Dog Food

Mindysmom

Max has been scratching quite a bit. He doesn't have fleas but does have dry skin according to the vet. It's been a very cold winter and the furnace runs pretty much non-stop - my skin is dry too. The Omega 6 that the vet suggested we try hasn't made a difference (although it's made Mindy's coat incredibly shiny). I thought I would try switching him back to the food that he was on when we got him in case it's a food allergy. Since I know he did well on the food is it still important to switch him gradually? I have starting mixing old and new but then it occurred to me that it might not be necessary.

Thoughts?

Anything else you guys do to combat dry skin?

I just did it cold turkey BUT I had no choice. I was making their dog food and ran into trouble so had no choice but to give them 100% of the new stuff. It worked fine though. I had two with diarrhea when I started and the new worked.

Dougall had dried skin, he was put on Omega plus I introduced sardines
into his diet twice per week. His skin is ok now.

Hope this helps.

I use Sardines for Maddie (though Pippin has some too because they taste soooo yummy.:D) and also a wheatgerm oil based supplement called Hypercoat made by the Animal Health Company. Doesn't prevent the summer itching unfortunately, but does keep the skin and coat in better condition all year round.

Give raw Spinach liquidised, it works a treat for itchy dogs.
I can give more info if needed.

Nanette

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I would like more info on the spinach - do you just put it in a blender?

Sardines make me gag but I'm sure I could deal with them if it will help.

I have never had a problem changing foods "cold turkey", but if yours have sensitive tummies, it may be in your (and their) best interest to mix for a few days.

Well I'm not sure if Max has a sensitive tummy or not as he's only really had two different types of kibble and the first time I switched gradually. Mindy doesn't seem to be that sensitive as long as food as cooked (she doesn't digest raw veggies and the one time she got into raw meat it wasn't pretty at all). I think I'll give cold turkey a try and if that doesn't work I'll add in some sardines (ewwwww!) or spinach.

Yes put in a blender and liquidise.
Jane Lilley writes a column for the dog world news paper and she has wealth of knowledge on various dog related problems. She has recommended Spinach for itchy dogs to many owners. She is happy to talk to anyone on the telephone and explain more fully, or you can write to her. I will get the number and pm you, it will be worth speaking to her.

Nanette

Back