• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New family memeber-Betsy.(long story)

presley

A couple of weeks ago,my auntie-in-law told me that a farmer died,he had a Lab girl and Cav girl as his pets but his family/relatives didn't want either dogs,one of them took the dogs anyway, to find homes.
I was just hoping that they'd find nice homes,I have soft sopt on these breeds n thought they'll find home no time as i hear Lab girl was well trained n cav girl was quite young..etc..etc and then i heard Lab girl found a home n also found out the cav wasn't actually that young,live out side and the farmer who died used to breed her :eek:

after a few days I went to the vet to get some food and she told me about this cav girl as well n she asked if I was interested in bring her home,
I wasn't sure as I have two dogs already n a toddler boy who is quite active age but I could not sleep that night,thinking about her all night as it was very windy n rainy in here,I was thinking god she'd be so cold...etc

I rang the vet,got this person's number n rang if I can take her,asked about her...she's 6yrs old,ex-breeding bitch that's all he knows :(

anyway I told my hubby,he took me to meet this guy yesterday(he wouldn't meet us in his place:confused::confused:)
he took her out from his car boot to our car,i took a crate n cosy blanket,
she was...covered in mud,dirt..not to forget mucky eyes .etc..etc stank real bad!!
asked him what food she was on,he said feed her WHATEVER. he fed her anything from his kitchen:mad::mad: he doesn't know when her last booster was..nothing really. I left my husband to talk and this guy couldn't wait to leave as he wanted to watch a football match.
anyway got home,she puked all over blanket..washed her,found loads of matted hair and that she has most of back teeth,no front teeth and very weak sharp teeth..rang the vet made an appointment for check up n spay.
she smells better but still a bit stinky.I had to leave her to sleep alone as she might have worms,fleas..etc
Harry(my cav boy) is so happy to have her, wouldn't leave her alone,my Presley doesn't really care,he was like that when Harry came home too.he's so cool :cool:

she ate some food,went out to the back with dogs n did her business
went to bed but she was crying a lot..my hubby said she might be missing her pups? I didn't hear anything about any pups but just back of my head maybe thats why that guy didn't meet us in his place?(i could be wrong,of course...) anyway husband went out n came back with this soft toy(dog)
for her n he named her as Betsy. honestly,she slept with this soft toy dog(as a pillow) all night with no crying n no accident at all.

I took Harry N her for a walk,even though she never walked on the leash,she did well,I showed her beach today,probably it was for the first time in her life...
she's blem in colour,is afraid of male human..BUT she likes my hubby as he gave her some chicken hee hee :rolleyes: is very gentle and quiet.

we are going to the vet tomorrow morning,I'm hoping her to get some good wash professionally,nails done and all the matted hair sorted(its too hard me to get them out),check ups,she probably needs to go on anti-biotics for her eyes,they are quite red n mucky..we'll see. and of course will get spayed..I'll ask the vet if it'd be too stressful for her,if so I'd do some of them in some other time.
I'll post pics of her soon..long story but this people make me sick n sad..
I just hope the Lab girl found a good home and my Betsy is healthy..:luv:

She is so lucky she found you!
Bless you and good luck at the vets tomorrow, I hope they can help her. She's been through so much.

Jen and Ilsa

Oh, sweet Betsy.

Bless you for taking her in.

What deplorable conditions she must have had before ... she's so Lucky to have you now to take care of her and treat her like the little princess she was born to be.

Hope all goes well at her vet visit. :xfngr:

What a big heart you have. And your husband sounds so sweet. Sounds like she found her guardian angels. Bless your heart for taking care of her and opening your home. Can't wait to hear more about her.

Well done for caring enough to take this girl into your home.
It must be stressful for you at the moment,but once she's sorted out she might just settle down and be a lovely family pet.
No matter how scruffy and filthy they are,they can be washed and professionally groomed.It sounds likely that she has worms and fleas so I'd keep some distance between her and your boys for the moment until you can establish what exactly she has,or even if she's in heat,the last thing you need is to have her in pup again.
Make the vet visit a priority,and keep her safe and secure,a dog in her situation is most likely to be a bolter and will run for the hills or the road at the first opportunity.Just stick an ID tag on her collar asap.
Giver her time to adjust to being indoors,we had one like her who cried non stop for three days but settled in perfectly and found a lovely home with my sister.An older breeding bitch can make the sweetest gentlest pet so just take it slowly and look after her health first and the rest will fall into place.
Good luck,
Sins

Ah, poor girl! It's so sad when literally no one in her life really cared for her. But good for her for finding you! Bless you for taking her. Her luck has definitely changed!

Good luck to you and her. It will probably be a long road for a while with all her grooming/health issues, but I'm sure she'll be so happy when all that is taken care of.

I am always looking for a happy ending for these special dogs, and here is another one. What a wonderful thing you and your husband have done! Bless your hearts. (And your husband ..... sounds like he's a KEEPER!)

Oh bless you for taking her in and giving her a chance to know what a loving home, good food, health care and a warm bed is like. Please keep the updates coming and lots of pics!

Hope everthing goes OK at the vets photos are a must when you have time and thank you for taking this little one in
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

:flwr:......I hope lil Betsy will turn out to be a healthy and loving pet .Good job saving her!

Poor little girl:(

Well done to you and your husband for taking her, sounds like it was meant to be and your husband sounds like a very caring man.

Hope you get on well with her at the vets..keep us posted as to her progress and pics soon please!

I had a lump in my throat reading about her. Poor girl.

What a wonderful thing you have done for her. I look forward to hearing her progress.

aww thanks for taking her. What an awful story but thank God you're there for her :flwr:I look foward to reading about your progress :flwr:

What a terrible life Betsy must have had, but it looks like her fortunes have turned to have found you as her forever mum.
Hope everything goes ok at the vets tomorrow. :xfngr:

This dog will love you more than any dog because her life has just changed so much for the better. Thank you for taking her in and treating her like a princess!

Good on you for taking her in :thnku:
Sounds like the poor thing had a rough time before you took her in :(
Quite a similar situation to our Roxy and she adjusted very quickly. The first few days she just stayed in her crate and we didnt make too much fuss of her as she was so nervous.
We've had her three months now and she's the sweetest, most affectionate little thing :lotsaluv:
It may be an idea for you to get insurance for her. Roxy has cost us quite a bit in vet fees as she needed alot of dental work etc.
Hope all goes well at the vets :xfngr:
Keep us posted & some pics when u get a chance :snap:

So sad how she has been treated. It makes me teary eyed. I can't stand the thought of animals suffering. She is SO lucky that you took her in. I would love to take in rescues but my hubby is adamantly opposed. Our last dog (pre Lucy and Charlie) was a rescue and although she was a wonderful dog, she had some aggression issues and I had to keep her separated from visitors and muzzle her at the vet....etc... Hubby doesn't want to deal with that kind of stuff again and we have young children to think about as well...but I digress. Thank you for being such a compassionate person. Keep us posted about how she does.

Hi presley

Very well done to you and your husband it sounds as though shes been waiting a long time for you ,but I bet she knew you were coming for her as she was meant for you ,Big Congratulations.:):flwr:

Back