• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

why is he doing this?

kimber772

My Bailey is about 2.5 years old now. We have two other males dogs as well. Bailey pees on stuff, mainly my husband's stuff, but always at night. He sleeps with me or my son every night and will wake me if he has to go out. But I still wake up to a mess on "stuff", dryer, fridge, trash can, or anything in my husband's den a couple times a week. It is not alot, more like a spray marking. He is not fixed because I am still deciding if I want to breed him.

He was crated trained when he was younger, but he hates it now.
Any advice?

I saw the products that they listed there for clean-up. Those are in pounds I believe so definitely in Europe. What do you americans use for clean-up. Thanks. btw I have wood floors so have to be careful also what is put on them.

I have all kinds of floors, wood, tile and carpet. I have been using a diluted bleach to clean the tile and wood, on the carpet a variety of things.

I have been using a diluted bleach to clean the tile and wood, on the carpet a variety of things.

:eek: That's only going to make the problem worse. Dogs go back to the same spot to urinate because of the smell of ammonia in the urine. By using bleach, which contains ammonia, you also have made that area smell of ammonia making it a target for your dog. You need to use a solution with enzymes to neutralise the ammonia. Biological clothes washing liquid has enzymes or you can use a special preparation for pet accidents. (y)

OMG, I had no idea!!! No wonder he keeps going in the same spots. I was more worried about the germs and smell for us, not what he was smelling.

I would prefer to use more natural things... what about vinegar and water?? anything more natural I can use?

Thanks ladies!!!

I don't think vinegar will neutralize ammonia. I think you'll find if you were using bleach originally that biological washing liquid, though not natural, is far less toxic (y)

This is what I used (see link below), it's called Simple Solutions. I found an American web site for you so they do sell it where you are. I didn't hunt round for the cheapest, I'll leave that to you (y)

:eek: That's only going to make the problem worse. Dogs go back to the same spot to urinate because of the smell of ammonia in the urine. By using bleach, which contains ammonia, you also have made that area smell of ammonia making it a target for your dog. You need to use a solution with enzymes to neutralise the ammonia. Biological clothes washing liquid has enzymes or you can use a special preparation for pet accidents. (y)

Just so you know-- bleach contains NO ammonia. Actually bleach (chlorine) and ammonia together create a chemical warfare agent that is deadly.

Just so you know-- bleach contains NO ammonia. Actually bleach (chlorine) and ammonia together create a chemical warfare agent that is deadly.

There are two kinds of Bleach on sale in Ireland/UK (and surrounding coutries); ammonia and chlorine. In the States, these are marketed as different products. I can understand the confusion!

Ammonia bleach will not work on pee - it is the same stuff that is in pee thus has no effect. Chlorine based bleach works fine on pee, it kills grems and smells. The two should never be mixed into a solution - very harmful gasses are released (not good). Most bleach companies don't specify on the bottle (some do), so smelling the product is the best way to know - if it smells like a swimming pool it's the stuff you want (y)

Of course as *Pauline* said, diluted bio washing powder/liquid for clothes contains enzymes which break down the "smell causing" particles in pee and gets rid of the buggers. Plus, no harm to most fabrics (like carpet). Just be sure to wash if well off of solid floors (laminate or tile) because I find it can leave a film. It does work a treat on pee though ;)

Hey, that is good to know. Yes, here in the states, ammonia is clearly marked as ammonia. Too many people have tried to mix ammonia and bleach and it releases the chlorine gas.

Back