• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

teeth

ilsamom

Hi everyone, I have a difficult question. Ilsa saw her acupuncture vet today and she pointed out that ilsa has 2 loose teeth and a great deal of tartar. This is odd, as she had her teeth done 3 months ago with her MRI and two teeth pulled. She showed me the teeth and how she whined when you touched them. She also said this was new as she checks her teeth every appointment and they were fine 2 weeks ago.

Ilsa doesn't let me brush her teeth easily, though I still make the effort, I use the dental spray and give her nutri-dent chews. We made an appointment to do her teeth next week, and to get a cardiac ultrasound while she's under (too bad she can't do a MRI).

I just don't understand why this could happen so quickly, it's unsettling. I usually do her teeth once a year, she's only 4.
She has SM, could that have anything to do with it? Anything else that could cause such rapid tooth decay?

Jen and Ilsa

Our veterinary dentist told us it's better to brush their teeth than to use sprays, gels, chews, etc. Just like in humans!

I'm fairly certain I read that tartar/calculus can start forming on the teeth after only 3 days or so of not brushing; that's why it's best to brush their teeth every 3 days at a minimum.

Tartar doesn't cause tooth decay, but it does cause gum disease and therefore bone loss around the teeth, leading to loose teeth.

Try getting some enzymatic toothpaste from the vet, rather than buying pet store toothpaste. I think it does a much better job at cleaning the teeth. Also, some people find a baby/toddler toothbrush works better than the vet or pet store toothbrushes.

Back