• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much do your babies weigh?

kimber772

My 2.5 year old male weighs 22.5 pounds. I thought they were supposed to be a bit smaller. Just wondering if he is a little overweight.

I think the breed standard is approx 12lbs - 18lbs. Plenty of dogs will be over or under this. I think the main thing is that he doesnt get very overweight as this can cause a potential health problem, especially with cavaliers being so prone to heart murmurs. I am sure you will know by your own dogs health and wellbeing. You could ask your vet for advice if you are very concerned. Some dogs, like some people are just a bit bigger than others.

Prince is approx 26.5 lbs and Belle is approx 13lbs. Prince is quite overweight but I think he is just big for the breed anyway. He has lost a few pounds since Christmas and we are starting to see a waist :p I just reduced his food portion by about a third. I also feed him separately to Belle to prevent him from eating her food as well as his own. I have cut treats way back and now give him apple pieces as treats. Plenty of walks as well. He has loads of energy for a bigger dog so thats good.

Sammy is exactly the same - 22.5 pounds at 2 1/2 years. I've also been surprised at how much he weighs, but he's not overweight at all IMO. He has strange measurements for a cavalier as well - slim with a very long back. Coats made for daschunds (sausage dogs :)) tend to fit him, apart from the legs of course...

Last edited:
Mindy will be 11 this week (wow where does time go?). She weighs 20 lbs our last time at the vet. She has been on a diet and exercise program. I think she could get down to 18lbs but I really can't see cutting down any more on her food. I don't think she is too bad. I can feel her ribs and see a bit of a waist.

Max is just 4 months and weighs 13 lbs! I think he will be a big boy. Both of his parents were between 15 and 16 lbs but I don't see him stopping there. At the moment his body is quite long and slim - he has some height to gain so who knows?

My 11 month old is only 11.4 lbs. I was told to expect her to be about 15 lbs. I wish she was a bit bigger but I do like the fact I can easily carry her around if I need to.

She too has a long back. As a puppy many people thought she was a dashund ..she's b&t.

Jasper who is nearly 9 yrs was weighed at the vets last week and is 20lb, I was quite surprised by this as he certainly does`nt look it, the vet did`nt say he was overweight but I have always been very careful with him and I certainly would not want him to get any bigger because of the heart murmur, he is quite long legged compared to some cavs.

Abigail who is not quite 7 months weighs in at a whopping 10.8 pounds. Both vet and breeder expect her to be about 13- 14 pounds when fully grown.

Heather R

Last edited:
Petcrazyme and Laram,
Both of you have whole colors and mention their longer backs. My breeder and I were discussing the differences in whole colors and particolors, and she said that one goal of breeding the whole colors to the particolors was to try to shorten the topline of the whole colors. She said that a longer-than-ideal topline is a common "problem" with whole colors. It was interesting to hear you both make that observation in your own dogs.

Well, my Bailey is 10 months old and weighs a very little 3.9kg, which is about 8.5lb, the vets don't think she'll grow any more as she's been poorly. Everyone mistakes her for being 4-5months old.... she is cute, but i do wish she'd grow just a little more

Lucy is a little over 19 lbs. She was up to 21 lbs but the vet suggested she lose a couple of pounds. Her waist is definitely visible now although I still think she could be about half a lb. lighter. It's hard though because she absolutely LOVES food! Adding the raw veggies to her diet is definitely helping.

It's interesting how much variance there is in weight between different dogs even from the same litter. My friend/neighbor owns one of Lucy's siblings and Shelby is only 11lbs. The breeder told me that she has seen photos of the two other puppies from the litter and that one looks like just Lucy and weighs like 20+ lbs and the other looks like Shelby and weighs about 12 lbs.

Here's a picture of Lucy and Shelby side by side...can you believe they are sisters?

3250925821_e80eb5baf4.jpg

Charlie weighs 8 lbs now at 3 months but from the looks of his head and paws I would guess he will be on the 20lb+ size as an adult. He's a big boy!

Amber 11 months 12 lbs (looking a bit in the skinny side at the mo)
Bobs 22 months 18.5 lbs ( looking a bit tubby, needs to lose the .5).

Dylan is under 7 Kg that's about 15lb. I'm very happy with his weight.

Aimee, your dogs are beautiful.

Petcrazyme and Laram,
Both of you have whole colors and mention their longer backs. My breeder and I were discussing the differences in whole colors and particolors, and she said that one goal of breeding the whole colors to the particolors was to try to shorten the topline of the whole colors. She said that a longer-than-ideal topline is a common "problem" with whole colors. It was interesting to hear you both make that observation in your own dogs.

Very interesting! I don't see many of these dogs so I haven't made that connection. Perhaps I'll keep my eye open to that when I attend a local Cavalier Romp ...I've only attended one before I got my cav. I do know there were several B&Ts so it will be interesting to see.

I just weighed my boys last night...Miles (almost 2 yrs old) is 18.5 lbs and Truman (just over 1 yr old) is only 14 lbs! I thought he was 16, he doesn't seem that much smaller than Miles, but maybe it's because he's such a little furball :confused:

Ollie, 1.5 years, 19 pounds
Casey, 5 years, 24 pounds (could maybe lose 1 lb)
Winston, 3 years, 36 pounds!!!!!! (could *maybe* lose 2 lbs)

Honestly, I prefer them larger than standard because I have a toddler.

Winston is my rescue, and he looks like a mini st. bernard!

As a side note, Ollie is my B/T and he definitely looks part hot-dog, very long back and leggy. Still waiting for him to look like an adult and not a pup. He also has very short fur.

Dora is a petite 13lbs (5.9kg) and Dougal is a slightly porkier 21lbs. Dora is a lot smaller all over though. Dougal I suspect may be slightly over the breed standard sizewise. Although he's a far cry from skinny he definitely has a noticable waist and a concave belly (if you can find it under the hair!!). There's such a variety in size and metabolism, just like humans. Dora could gorge herself and never gain an ounce where as Dougal definitely has the fat gene and can balloon on tasty smells alone ;) :lol:

Rudy is just now 6 mos and is exactly 10 lbs. He has really started to look more filled in recently and with daily walking, he's always hungry. I too have really been watching the treats. We use them a lot in Puppy class and he's always looking for them. We just graduated from Puppy class tonight (four wks of mostly socialization and a few basic commands). It's been great since we don't have other dogs in the household and he was quite the goof on walks when around other dogs. He actually received his 'diploma' in the sit position. OH teased that he could be 'held back' if we didn't step it up. They always do it at home, but not in class. I was so proud of him.

Petcrazyme and Laram,

That is interesting! I've always thought Sammy looks normal, but when I tried to find him a coat last month, I realized he is a 'medium dog' in terms of back length and 'extra small' in terms of girth. I've taken his back length again and again, and every time I get 54cm (21inches), whereas his chest is 52cm (20inches). Really strange, I must be measuring him wrong somehow! I bought a coat that was long enough, but it was waaayyy too loose. :confused:

Dylan is under 7 Kg that's about 15lb. I'm very happy with his weight.

Aimee, your dogs are beautiful.

Thank you...but only the one on the left is mine. The one on the right is Lucy's littermate (Shelby). She belongs to my friend/neighbor. Our breeder had kept originally planned on keeping Shelby as a breeding bitch, but Shelby was so small that she decided she wasn't a good candidate for motherhood.:( My friend asked me where I had gotten Lucy and said she wanted an adult dog not a puppy. I mentioned it to the breeder and coincidentally they had just made the decision to sell Shelby since they wouldn't be keeping her for showing. The rest is history and now Lucy has a sister who lives right down the street.

Mindy also needs a medium coat for length and a small for girth - I don't find she's particularly long though - I just think it's the way the coats are made.

Back