• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Air scratching

Charlifarley

Hi there, I'm looking for a bit of reasurrance please:xfngr:. My one year old boy always air scratches when I take him out for a walk. In my innocence, I put that down to his harness annoying him. Last week I decided to see what would happen if I walked him without a harness, and he does it even more. :mad: I know this is one of the symptoms of SM, but could it be a symptom of anything else do you think?

It does sound like a syptom of SM...there are videos somewhere on this site that show how SM dogs air scratch...I know Pauline posted one with Dylan a few months ago, maybe she can send you the link. Do you have pet insurance for him? I think he would need an MRI to confirm anything, but I'm sure others on this site who know more about SM will chime in. Good luck, I hope he's okay! :xfngr::xfngr:

Air scratching is a common symptom of SM, but it can also be a symptom of PSOM, which is an ear problem. There are details on Karlin's site http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

I'm not sure where you live, but I am always happy to talk to any UK board member if they think it will help. Just PM me for my telephone number.

I think insurance is a must for any Cavalier owner these days.

Margaret C

Thanks Carrie, yes I've seen the video of Dylan and it looks scarily similar.

Margaret, I live in Dublin, but thank you for the offer. I have pet insurance, thank goodness, to be fair, my breeder insisted on it, but I would have taken it out anyway.

I will have a look at the post on PSOM, hopefully thats all it will turn out to be. I will get him checked by the vet now to get this sorted out.

Back