• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers & Car Sickness

islewriter

Are Cavaliers prone to car sickness?

I had an Audiology appointment yesterday and a friend took me for my appointment and Kirra came too :)

However, poor Kirra was sick - mid way on our journey to the hospital :(

And also on our return :(

She has been okay on a bus journey - but the journey is only (5) minutes, whilst this has been her first journey by car - since she arrived to me last year.

Any tips on how you cope with your CKC.

As I will have appointments in the future - and would like to see Kirra happy on her travels with me.

I have owned three cavaliers and none of mine have been carsick ,ever.
Mine love trips in the car(as it usually means we are going to do something really fun) and they will jump in any open car if the get the chance:eek:
But back to the carsicknes,I know alot of people with carsick dogs usually let them skip a meal before going for a car ride in order to minimize the chances of vomitting....have you tried that...?

I have two who adore their car trips - they jump in, and promptly fall asleep - we have driven with ours (with regular breaks of course) from Southern England to Scotland with no problems at all. Hope you figure out a way to get it sorted for you - perhaps try shorter journeys and gradually increase may help

Many Thanks for advice :)

Kirra had nothing to eat prior to the journey. And the journey was less than 30 minutes (i.e. 10 miles) although it the roads on the isle are potholed, twisting etc - more like a rally road :(

I think I may take her fabric travel cage - next time - so that she can lie down and this may help her.

Miles is prone to car sickness, so now when we travel I make sure that he is in a crate and doesn't eat right before we leave and then he's fine...for some reason he would get sick if he wasn't crated...maybe it's because they move around less in a crate?

My Cavaliers have always been fine in cars and on public transport (thank goodness, as I don't have a car of my own and take my dogs everywhere with me on trains and buses, I don't know what I'd do if I had one who was a bad traveller!). But friends with car-sick dogs say that a couple of ginger biscuits shortly before the journey often help - ginger is calming for the stomach, and giving it in biscuit form is a treat as well!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

sorry you have a car sick one. Our collie gets car sick, but I think that may be because he is blind in one eye.

You can probably condition her by taking very short trips and gradually lengthening them. I think that when you don't get them used to riding frequently when they are young they tend to get car sick easier.

Because of our collie, I learned that you can give Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for car sickness. Call your vet for the correct dosage, but that might help, too.

Hi

Mine do not suffer, they just fall asleep. Someone did mention to me if they did, to get those thin rubber strip things that attach at the back of the car and slightly drag on the ground, apparently they take the static
away which can cause sickness. I don't know if it is true but it might be worth a try.

Many Thanks :) Greatly appreciate your advice tips:)

Will certainly consider all - and I must admit Kirra is okay both in the car and on the bus - but then the journey is only a couple of minutes.

I wonder if the heater blowing - due to being bitterly cold on that day together with snow and of course she was sitting on my knee at the time.

Toby has always been a dream in the car, so it was a bit of a shock when we got Rufus and he couldn't make the 15 minute drive to the vets without being sick.

It has taken a while (he is nearly two now) but finally he is ok in the car. I took my vets advice and started on 5 minute drives to a local field where I would give him a walk, and then drive 5 minutes back - anyone local watching me must have thought I was really lazy!

Over a six month period I increased this, and he did gradually get better. Eventually we could get to the vets, then a bit further, until eventually he seemed quite settled. Initially I made sure he had an empty stomach before any drive, but he is now at the point where I can feed him a couple of hours before and he is still ok.

It was a lot of work, but worth it - at the end of last year we went to the Lake District and he did the 8 hour journey with no problem, albeit, lots of stops.

Hope Kirra improved with time.

Interesting thread - how is Kirra now with the travel sickness? Hope she's improving. Did you find anything that helps her. Lois is now 5 months old and she is car sick. She is always crated with our other cav Sally in the car but she is still sick. She is not scared in the car and seems settled I think its more the motion of the car that makes her sick. I'm washing the crate bedding all the time and feel so sorry for her being sick every time she's in the car. Does anyone have any ideas?

I guess dogs are like kids.

My daughter was often car sick,my son never.Even now she cannot sit in the back of a car.and she is now 30 + !!!!!!

I know from that first trip to the vets,how they are going to be.Some take to cars like ''ducks to water'' others I am afraid they a little longer.But in my experience they all get there eventually:(

Back