PDA

View Full Version : Chew, chew, chew and chew some more ..

petcrazyme
5th February 2009, 01:48 PM
My 11 month old female cav is driving us crazy with her chewing. We have two young kids that leave little toys everywhere so it is extremely tempting to the dog. I buy her appropriate dog chew toys and she destroys them in one sitting. Amazing. I should have called her "Shredder". Are adult dogs generally just as interested in chewing as young ones? Will this ever let up?

Shivers
5th February 2009, 02:05 PM
My two cavs are 4 and 5 and they dont chew so maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
I am sure you could teach a command to 'stop' or 'drop it' and swap the item she is chewing for something more appropriate. A good stuffed kong seems to provide Prince with loads of entertainment. Maybe it would be worth a try.

Daisy's Mom
5th February 2009, 04:01 PM
Oh boy, you sound like me when Daisy was about the age of your dog! My kids were 5 and 7 at that time, so I understand the quantity of little toy parts that are inevitably around. We worked so hard to keep everything picked up, but she would seem to find these little pieces continually to chew up. I was always in dread fear that she would swallow something and get a blockage or otherwise hurt herself.

Daisy is 2 1/2 now, and I would love to tell you that she doesn't chew anymore, but she still does. It's not nearly as bad, but she is absolutely obsessed with Kleenex, and if there's a Lego piece or some other plastic toy part she can get to, she still will chew it.

We used treats to teach the Drop It command, so here's what our smart little girl does now. She runs upstairs where the toy room is, looks around to find something, anything she can fit in her mouth and then she runs downstairs with it, making sure to dash right by me or my husband. She then lays down and starts chewing in front of us. Of course we say drop it, but she just holds it inside her mouth and looks at us, although she does stop chewing. She then holds it, stares at us until we get up and go to the treat jar. She runs over, still holding the toy hostage and sits and stares. She will wait until she sees the treat in our hand and then she spits out the toy like a hot potato. If you just open the jar, but don't show her the treat, she will just keep sitting there with the contraband in her mouth. It is hilarious how well she's figured things out to her advantage.

The other horrible habit she has kept since puppyhood is that she LOVES to chew on the corner of a book. She will go "shopping" in the bookshelf to see which one looks tastiest and suits her mood. We've got lots of books that look like a rat has been after them. Some of them very nice, expensive books.

So anyway, based on our experience, it will get better, but she may still have to be closely monitored for chewing, even when she's older.

Mom of Jato
5th February 2009, 06:23 PM
My two are both chewers!!! I have older teenagers, so they don't really get into any of their personal things, etc. but they blow through toys that I buy for them so fast! I always look for the word "durable" when I buy a new toy, but they manage to destroy those too. Nylabones used to be their favorite, but they can chew an end off one of those in no time. Now I have to see what's new out there to try. :confused:

brotymo
5th February 2009, 08:36 PM
Oh boy, if you can find something like a bone or cow hoof or rawhide to chew every day that will usually greatly curb the chewing. they seem to have a chewing session on those and then aren't really very interested in chewing for the rest of the day.

They also will chew way less if you give plenty of exercise. I good brisk walk or game of fetch until she is good and tired takes away that chewing urge, too.

She should do it less as she gets older.

lorebringer
5th February 2009, 08:49 PM
My Cocker is a champion chewer! If I buy him toys etc I need to buy ones designed for big dogs (even the "heavy chewer" toys I have gotten have been demolished in no time) and most of the time he gets his way through them in no time. He as gotten through 2 Nilabones for big dogs without a bother! I generally buy toys that can be eated (raw hide etc) so that I don't have to worry about what he is eating. It can be frustrating when shopping for something nice for the dogs because I know anything I buy will be destroyed very quickly; flossies, rubbery stuff, "super chewer" stuff... so at this point I buy them new toys quite rarely.

It must be very difficult with kids in the house and a big chewer, I don't have children so I can keep bits and bobs out of reach (most of the time!). There is nothing within his reach (when relations visit they always ask about why there are no nice ornaments/candles etc. around the house... :rolleyes:) but we have had a few dodgy moments with very strange things. Not to mention the skirting boards, which have been nawed at, although I think (hope!) that was a phase :xfngr:

Like "Daisys Mom" said Kleenex are a big obsession - flitters all over the floor and I am finding bits for days afterwards. Also, cardboard toilet paper inserts are very entertaining to play with for my lot... and socks, forgot about socks, they love them (my poor OH has lost so many of them) and chew great big holes in them :eek:

Ah, for all the flaws (and chewed up stuff!) I still love them to bits :D

petcrazyme
5th February 2009, 10:24 PM
We used treats to teach the Drop It command, so here's what our smart little girl does now. She runs upstairs where the toy room is, looks around to find something, anything she can fit in her mouth and then she runs downstairs with it, making sure to dash right by me or my husband. She then lays down and starts chewing in front of us. Of course we say drop it, but she just holds it inside her mouth and looks at us, although she does stop chewing. She then holds it, stares at us until we get up and go to the treat jar. She runs over, still holding the toy hostage and sits and stares. She will wait until she sees the treat in our hand and then she spits out the toy like a hot potato. If you just open the jar, but don't show her the treat, she will just keep sitting there with the contraband in her mouth. It is hilarious how well she's figured things out to her advantage.

Yup! Sounds just like Maisy. When she is out and about with the kids around it seems like all I do is tell her to drop things and give her a piece of cookie. Once she responded well to drop-it I started giving her a treat only every now and then ..but they are way to smart for that. She's takes things hostage now!

petcrazyme
5th February 2009, 10:27 PM
I must say I died laughing when my husband pulled a pair of his underwear out of Maisy's mouth and held it up and looked right through a HUGE hole in the ass ..glarring at me! Maisy got him new underwear for xmas :o

Cathy Moon
6th February 2009, 01:34 AM
cl*p:rotfl:Hehe, you gave Colin and me a good laugh!

LucyDog
6th February 2009, 02:43 AM
I remember posting the same exact question when Lucy was a pup. She has finally stopped chewing all of my kid's toys, although we have a large number of headless, hand & footless Star Wars people left over from her chewing days. She still has a thing for Kleenex and also for tags in clothing. She won't chew clothing...just the tag....that said if the tag happens to be attached to the clothing and the clothing gets in the way....well we have a had a few casualties from that.

Bully sticks definitely helped break her of the chewing thing. I would just trade her whatever she was chewing for the stick. The only problem is that sometimes bully sticks give her the runs...especially now that she seems to be able to completely consume one in less than an hour. Reminds me of a funny story though.

We used to keep the bully sticks in the garage on top of my husband's mini wine refrigerator and we have a doggy door that goes into the garage. Well, I kept seeing Lucy w/ a new bully stick even though I knew I hadn't given her I new one. This went on for a couple of days and I just thought it must be that my husband kept giving her new ones. So, one night I saw her come to the doggy door w/ another brand new stick and my husband wasn't at home. Finally I looked in the garage and realized that my husband had stacked cases of bottled water next to the refrigerator and Lucy had been climbing up the water cases and sneaking off w/ a new bully stick over and over again. She had gone through an entire pack of 20 in like a week. Smart puppy! Needless to say the bully sticks are now locked away in a cabinet where she can't get to them.

Daisy's Mom
6th February 2009, 02:51 AM
They are smart little corkers, aren't they? :p

ourfurbabies5
6th February 2009, 03:18 AM
I am still laughing at Maisy & your husband's underwear. I just have this visual.....!!

tara
6th February 2009, 05:51 AM
I would second Aimee's suggestion about bully sticks! Natural (borderline disgusting if you asked me) chews like these are what has enabled me to keep my sanity during the puppy phase with Holly. She goes in phases -- for a while she prefers bully sticks, then moves on to cow ears, then cow tracheas, etc. She keeps me on my toes, though, because she likes to think that each time I'm handing her a chew it's "new." So I've started rotating them in/out of her treat box, and pulling a chew out of a baggie like it's a brand new treat. She hasn't caught on yet:rolleyes:

Louise1823
6th February 2009, 03:31 PM
Millie was a Queen chewer when she was a baby - her favourite thing to chew holes through was our duvet covers. I lost count of how many I had to throw out! She also loved stealing boxer shorts, socks, tights and hiding under the bed with them in her mouth where we couldnt get at her!

Jack also made his way through the arm of our old sofa! :D

Millie has definitely grown out of it and never chews on anything now, so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for you :xfngr:

petcrazyme
6th February 2009, 11:30 PM
I am still laughing at Maisy & your husband's underwear. I just have this visual.....!!
Yes, it was quite the visual! It would have been the funniest video moment ever ..but of course the video camera is always conveniently stored out of my reach up in a closet:rolleyes:

freesia
7th February 2009, 04:59 PM
Ohh I had to laugh at Daisy moms, our Barney is exactly the same, get's something he is not allowed and sits next to me, then he looks up and spits it out to get a treat. Their not daft are they.:D:D