• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

well here i am, not sure where to start

harleyfarley

As you may guess harley is my 3 year old male cavaliar, we got him from a show dog breeder in essex, his parent are scanned and cleared of sm and mvd, and he was the most expensive. We viewed the pups are 4 weeks, 6 weeks, made our choice, and 8 weeks picked him up, he was the first to be sold and to go to his new home. He has had problems with his hips for prob a year or so with trips to the vets every few months and no diagnosis. It got really bad last week, he could jumpl up on to the sofa, or bed, was whineing a lot, and seems depressed so i took him to the vets again two thursdays ago, the viet i saw then, has a springer with h/d and said he thinks thats what harley has got as the symptoms are mirrored.
He gave pain killers and advice on adding Glocosamine, msm, chondroitin to his food and i was to go back again last thursdays, where we spoke about cartropohen injections and possably a hip joint replacement operation. Now Harley in insured with Churchill and covered for the first year of illness and up to £3000 per illness. The result was that without xrays we cannot even begin to work out what would be best, ive sent for some vits and am adding others that i could get locally in any case. So ive booked him in on monday for an xray so we can see the extend of the condition and decide whats best all round. I would appreciate if you have any experience with this condition. di

Forgot to add she had the father, mother, and great grand father (aged 15) all seemed perfectly healthy, see my other post (sorry) for a classic pic di

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear of your boys problems, unfortunatly dog breeding is very complicated & sometimes despite the best efforts things go wrong.

I imported my dog from abroad from healthy, tested lines & he still ended up with a severe joint problem that to my knowledge none of his relatives have suffered from.

Its heartbreaking when you try so hard & things still go wrong but I would rather give my money to a breeder who tried than a puppyfarmer who did nothing at all.

My sisters cavalier has very bad hips , she has been on the glucosamine for a while & it does seem to help , she still goes out for walks every day

Back