PDA

View Full Version : Dublin: foster/home: deaf male neutered 5 year old

Karlin
8th February 2009, 03:07 PM
Owner dumping and wants gone immediately. :(:(

This boy needs a foster and will need a home. I am not sure whether he is totally deaf or not. But deafness outside of being a minor issue for minding the dog -- eg cannot go off lead; needs careful minding not to get out (as with ALL dogs) -- has little effect on quality of life or the pleasure you get from the dog, as anyone who has met my Lucy or other board members' deaf cavaliers will know.

Just an aside: There is a high rate of deafness in the breed so it is something many of us will eventually deal with, but most dogs adjust so well their owners may not realise for years that the dog is deaf!

Sue.k
9th February 2009, 11:45 AM
Any word on a home for this little guy? I just cant understand why people would get rid of their dog because its deaf, my Lucy is also deaf and she is just the best!!!!

cecily
9th February 2009, 10:43 PM
happy to help with foster but going away for the night on sat. and my pair will be staying with my mum so may not be suitable...

Karlin
9th February 2009, 11:31 PM
Have a foster for him but will need a home. Am told he is gorgeous and friendly, a blenheim boy, and all the people at the vets wanted him if they only had room for another dog. :)

He is currently in kennels at the vets and pretty stressed so am hoping to get him over to foster asap.

Karlin
10th February 2009, 10:52 PM
This is Chucky! (now nicknamed Chubbins :rotfl:)

He is looking for a home -- is cheerful and fine with kids and other dogs. A real lap dog but could use some exercise! I have lots of advice and support for working with a deaf dog, having one myself. :)

Ste
11th February 2009, 10:32 AM
Wow, he is a big boy :eek:

cecily
11th February 2009, 02:12 PM
He has a lovely face :) Looks like a gentleman.
Wish we had room for another permanent visitor.

Karlin
11th February 2009, 04:30 PM
I think he is a wide boy, rather than a big cavalier! :lol:

Karlin
21st February 2009, 02:15 PM
This gentleman is still looking for a home! Just bumping him back up.

Katelyn
22nd February 2009, 12:12 PM
poor thing..he's so cute!

Aileen
23rd February 2009, 10:34 PM
Does no one want him well if he was in the uk I would
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Thelly
5th July 2009, 02:41 PM
Here is an up to date pic of Chucky the foster.
He is such a pet!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3680581079_a8e3fd6a26.jpg

Justine
5th July 2009, 02:51 PM
We can help with any fosters,hubbs said if anything comes to us he can get up to Dublin no probs,as he is up there every week.

Karlin
5th July 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the fresh pic Thelly! That will help in the home search. :)

Jay
5th July 2009, 06:35 PM
He is lovely! Right now I have my mother's deaf dog living with us. I can also say that having a deaf dog is not difficult, especially if you have other dogs in the home. He follows the others when being called and responds well to hand signals. Most dogs respond better to hand signals than verbal commands anyway. It does take a bit more training and patience, but it is still very doable. I just can't imagine his previous owners just dumping him. He deserves so much better than that.
J.

george108
5th July 2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the fresh pic Thelly! That will help in the home search. :)

Karlin I've just pm'd you re Chucky.

misty
6th July 2009, 01:51 PM
As he's deaf, does he bark more than a dog with good hearing?

Margaret C
6th July 2009, 02:03 PM
I have two deaf dogs. They don't bark more, probably less, because not so easily excited by the sounds around.

It is harder to stop them once they do bark. you can't just shout for them to be quiet

Sandrac
6th July 2009, 03:51 PM
"It is harder to stop them once they do bark. you can't just shout for them to be quiet "

This is so true! Before Cinders became deaf, if she was barking in the garden I used to be able to call her in. Now I have to either wait for her to look my way and wave her in or go out (normally in my nightie) and fetch her in. Sometimes my neighbours must think I'm very peculiar. :eek:

Nicki
6th July 2009, 04:16 PM
I found my deaf boy didn't bark as much - but when he did, it was louder as he couldn't hear himself bark.

My other deaf dog didn't bark at all - actually she rarely vocalised at all.

It varies so much from dog to dog.

Rupert went deaf at 2, and we swopped over to hand signals - he was brilliant, at one time we had over 25 different signals, as we were working obedience and even agility for a while. We competed in obedience.

I always teach the dogs signals as well as voice commands now - they actually respond better to signals as they are great at understanding body language.

I found the deaf dogs watched my face more - but when they didn't want to come back, they wouldn't look at me :grin:

That is probably the biggest issue with deaf dogs, you do need to be very careful where you let them off the lead - it took a long time to build up the confidence and training to do that. Until that level, we exercised with a flexi lead attached to a harness.

The really nice thing about deaf dogs is that they are usually very affectionate, want to sit next to you/on you as that is a way of communicating - they love to be stroked and touched.

Whoever takes on Chucky will have a wonderful companion - he looks a lovely boy.

*Pauline*
7th July 2009, 01:33 AM
Here is an up to date pic of Chucky the foster.
He is such a pet!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3680581079_a8e3fd6a26.jpg

Looks like you have managed to get a lot of excess weight off him and tear staining, well done Thelly. Have you had him since Feb?

islewriter
7th July 2009, 09:13 AM
I do hope 'Chucky' will find his 'Forever' home - very soon.

He looks such a handsome chap :)

Thelly
7th July 2009, 09:35 AM
Looks like you have managed to get a lot of excess weight off him and tear staining, well done Thelly. Have you had him since Feb?

I can't take the credit for the weight! He was with Siobhan first and they worked his weight off. We have had the difficult task of keeping it off. The staining is thanks to Angel Eyes! We've had him since May.

He's a great dog. So friendly and considering we have a house full at the moment, is very social!

george108
7th July 2009, 03:48 PM
I can't take the credit for the weight! He was with Siobhan first and they worked his weight off. We have had the difficult task of keeping it off. The staining is thanks to Angel Eyes! We've had him since May.

He's a great dog. So friendly and considering we have a house full at the moment, is very social!

Hi Thelly did you get the private message I sent re the possibility of adopting Chucky? He's absolutely gorgeous!

Charlifarley
7th July 2009, 05:54 PM
He looks great, and very happy. You will miss him when he goes to his new home.
By the way where do you buy Angel Eyes? do you get it in a shop or online?
Thanks

Thelly
8th July 2009, 10:10 AM
He looks great, and very happy. You will miss him when he goes to his new home.
By the way where do you buy Angel Eyes? do you get it in a shop or online?
Thanks

I bought it direct online. It is a wonder product for my lot. Bailey had really bad staining before I started using it. Now he is so clean.

Karlin
8th July 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi: just a reminder that people need to talk to me directly, never the foster, about dog adoption. :thmbsup. I am currently on holiday, am back Thursday, and will get in touch.

George108 will PM you.

george108
13th July 2009, 12:13 PM
Any update on Chucky finding a new home? He's so gorgeous I can't figure out why he doesn't have people fighting over him!! :-)

Karlin
13th July 2009, 06:29 PM
Yes he went to a new home over the weekend -- so far so good and is settling in. :) He has a couple of girls to boss around. :lol:

george108
13th July 2009, 09:22 PM
That's brilliant. Absolutely thrilled for Chucky and his new family! Whoever got him is very lucky. He sounds like a great boy! :-)

Dink
14th July 2009, 11:05 PM
Hi all!!! :) Just a quick update on the newly renamed Riley!!! He is doing great here with Maddie and Ruby! I think Maddie has fallen in love!! :l*v: On his second night, he had removed them from their bed, :eek: but this didn't last long and now he is cuddled up beside both of them! He is so much bigger than the ladies, so funny when he jumps up on my knee! He is very lovable and loves the kids already. He seems to be fitting in nicely. :xfngr:
PS.... I have never heard a dog snore as loud as him!! He is worse than my partner!! :o

george108
15th July 2009, 10:15 AM
LOL about the snoring!! I'm very familiar with it with our George! It's great to hear Riley is settling in well and is bringing some romance into Maddie's life!! :-) He looks and sounds so adorable. Best of luck to you all and post some pics when he's settled.

Shivers
15th July 2009, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear he is settling in well to his new home. I can definitely second that on the snoring, he is really loud. My Prince is also a very loud snorer. I used to think they were having a competition to see who could make the most noise.

I like the new name as well. He really is such a sweet dog and was great with the kids :lotsaluv: