• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

WHY?? Does my cavalier do this? Humping...etc

Janstuhl

My cavalier just turned 3 in January. He was fixed at 5 mos old. I also have a male Shih tzu who is 2 years old. They are buddies. HOWEVER, I have never had this cavalier breed and I am not sure I am liking it. He wants to hump my shih tzu a lot of the time. He also sticks his pee pee out REALLY FAR when I pet him...no matter if it is just on his head or ears. It is really weird. AND sometimes he even gets so excited he starts jerking his back end and can't control it. At one time I asked my vet about it a year ago and he said he would grow out of it...but he hasn't. At that time we even tried this hormone...elvil..or something....to see if it helped. It did a little...but he was very thirsty on it and almost too tired. He is a sweetie and I want to keep him but this weirdo behavior on top of us having 4 kids and one other dog....is freaking me out. Any thoughts or ideas??? Thank you so much. Jan

Humping behaviour is VERY normal. Especially if you have more than one dog in the house -- it has absolutely nothing to do with the breed. You often will have a bigger problem with more than one male than with a male and female. It also does not necessarily have anything to do with sexual drive. It is mostly a training issue -- not scolding or punishing but simply distracting on to another activity. If a dog's penis bothers you a lot, it might be a good idea to get a female rather than males -- lots of males stick them out for all sorts of reasons! This too is very normal. :) If it is embarrassing then probably having a second male is the wrong choice and you might wish to work with breed rescue to responsibly place him into a new home and consider a female dog of whatever breed or mix at a future point?

The head jerking to me sounds worrying and I cannot imagine how this is related to humping activity -- it sounds like it could be a range of things, some of which could be a serious concern, and I'd be inclined to get a second opinion from a different vet.

I hope you can find a solution that satisfies you, one way or another. There is some information on humping behaviour in the Library section that may be of use. But really -- this is totally normal, and dogs are dogs.... it is rare to have males who wouldn;t be doing some of this. In my house, it is the spayed female who humps things, though. I just distract her and she moves on to doing other things. No big deal, just a training effort. (y) But the one thing that may help most is getting him vigorous active exercise every single day -- at least an hour of vigorous walking or fetch or doing agility -- things that work his brain and body. If he gets overexcited simply from petting he may not be getting enough activity and interaction -- this is a breed that does like activity and exercise daily and a tired dog os a calm and happy dog. :)

Back