• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Holidays

Pepe

Hi, a question for u all! Do you leave your Cavs and go on Holidays? if so who do u leave them with Kennels or family?

I have a 4 year old and he comes on hols with us, i cdnt leave him in kennels.

Not sure what to do this year as my family wants to go abroad. i dnt think i can leave him:(

We haven't had a holiday in the six years since adopting our current crew, maybe this year........ :rolleyes:

We always book a dog friendly cottage as we could not bear to leave (or trust) our dog with kennels or a relative. We have always only had one cavalier at a time but I would like a second and have not seen many places that allow more than one dog, perhaps we will have to get a caravan.

Glad im not the only one:) we do have a caravan, and he loves it! even the thought of letting him go to people who mind dogs in their own homes i cant help thinking what if they left the gate open or something like that.

We are very lucky to be able to leave Mindy (and hopefully Max too) with a lovely couple who board dogs in their house. One time Mindy was the only dog their other than their own and they went on car rides and hikes every day. She actually sulked for several days when we got home because our in town walks didn't cut it after hiking the provincial parks. If I ever had any doubt I was sure then that she was okay with it.

We have been on holiday since getting our two dogs, but Nick's mum and Dad only live 10 mins away from us and are happy to look after our two. We all spend a lot of time together, and so they are happy to go there for a week. We have also left them with Nick's parents for the odd weekend.

Have you heard of Dial a Dog Carer? www.dialadogcarer.com We are going to a wedding later on in the year and need to leave the boys for a couple of nights.

The above company have found a local dog carer that I can visit with Dan and Murphy and let the couple have the dogs for half a day to familiarise the dogs with them and vice versa.

You can read about the scheme on the webpage. If I am not happy with the carers the company will find alternative carers. There is plenty of time to make the arrangements.

I was told the dogs will be cared for just as they are at home, so as Murphy sleeps on our bed, he will be allowed to do the same at the carers. He may prefer to sleep on his little bed on the floor, however, as he won't know them very well.

Well .......... perhaps on night 2 he may grace them by jumping up on the carers' bed.;) It'll be interesting to hear how they get on. I'm glad it will only be for two nights, as I'll be the one with "separation anxiety".

Mary

Mom to Dan 12.9 months and Murphy 9 months

I would never be able to put my dog in kennels, when he was a pup we bought a secondhand caravan and he loved it, I don`t really have any family that could have him so it was the only answer, unfortunately we have not been able to have a holiday for 2 years due to my mother`s dementia, but she is now in a care home so we hope to book a holiday this year if we can find a site that takes dogs.

Since we had the dogs we only go on Holiday in the UK mainly Norfolk or Scotland.
If I have to go home to see my mum then my breeder looks after them.

James We use Cottages for you, they have a lot of places that take two dogs. Last April our friends and their kids came with us to Scotland and they got three cavaliers. The property allowed only three dogs but as it was out of season my friend talked to the owner of the property to say that we have got fife little well behaved dogs and they were fine with it.

holidays

we always said he could go to kennels when we go on holiday, but since weve had him we cant bare to leave him with anyone else (no family or friends that could take him) so being four of us we mix and match so someones always around for harley, maybe we should try a holiday with him. di :paw:

We have kenneled Lucy 2 or 3 times when we have traveled with my parents, because they are the only other people who take care of our pets when we are away. We found a really nice doggy "hotel" which has the dogs in rooms, not cages, offers doggy group play time twice a day, and allows the dogs to be roomed with a buddy. They also have video cameras so you can check in on your dog online and you can call and talk to your dog if you want (I didn't actually do this but thought it was a nice idea). In the past Lucy has boarded w/ my mother's dog, Princess but now that we have Charlie Brown I am not sure if we can room all 3 of them together. I will need to check that out as we are scheduled to go to Hawaii w/ my parents this summer. Anyway, Lucy doesn't seem to mind going and always comes home happy. That said, I prefer not to kennel her and any time my parents don't join us we leave the dogs with them.

We have a caravan so the dogs come with us and they love it. Last month we went to Lanzarote, so my MIL took them. I didnt relax all week though. I was terrified one of them would get out and they live on quiet a busy road. I even had a dream that Ollie got hit by a car while we were gone :eek: It was the longest week of my life :rolleyes:

Aimee, can you PM me the name of the dog hotel, I always like to know a nice place for emergencies.

Thanks

Jen and Ilsa

We usually don't go anywhere we can't take the dogs (needless to say, we really just visit family!) I have left them with my mother for short weekends, but I would kennel the dogs after leaving them with my mom the last time. We suffered with tummy troubles the entire next week. Also, "rumor has it" that one of them got out of the gate. :mad:

When we can't take the dogs with us, they stay at a friends house. She has three Salukis and they all get along just great. Sometimes my cousin's cleaning lady will stay at my house with the dogs also - I prefer that arrangement. She absolutely loves my dogs. Recently we've been traveling a lot to Arizona (have to get away from that nasty Chicago weather!) and I always bring Riley, my SM girl. Since her decompression surgery in June, 2008 I can't stand leaving her.

I've been taking my dogs (even before I had cavaliers) to the same boarding kennel for nearly 20 years. The owners are very friendly and professional, the place is squeaky clean, and our dogs are very happy there. When the original owner (formerly a vet tech) retired, she sold the business to a young couple, and she stayed on a few months to train them. They have continued running the business at the same level of professionalism that she did. Geordie, who is shy with strangers, absolutely loves Melissa! :) And she brushes them every day! (y)

we are very lucky as my son comes over and stays when we are gone. If not then we go in our R.V. and all five go with us. I wouldn't leave them with anyone else.

Hols

Our dog doesn't like the kennels at all, he has his routine of sleeping on our bed at night and looking for a comfy lap to lie on during the day.
When we go away my sister stays at our house with him.
We are going to Oz for the month of April,lookng forwad to the holiday but not to being without our little pal.

Back