• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Talked to vet about moving on.

*Pauline*

Well I've been stewing about this all day. I went and told my vet I might move because of his high prices. He explained as best he could and said I am welcome to come back or to come for a chat anytime. But I was gutted, they are a lovely practice.

I will try the new vet and see what I think. At least I can change back if I want.

I bumped into a lovely lady there who used to be in my dog training class. She had a Telvara Cavalier years ago but it died of cancer at 6. At training, she used to bring her sister's Great Dane, it was the biggest thing I'd ever seen, you could have put a saddle on it! (my spell check has turned off somehow so please excuse my spelling:eek:)

I recently changed vets because of the high prices and at first I felt bad but I don't anymore. My previous vet was great, but I only would see the owner of the clinic, and he was impossible to get into, so I switched and am thrilled with my new vet. They also charged nearly double what I pay now, and I think their service is better and their equipment is the same as my previous vet. I had used them years ago in the past and decided to try them again, and they're great! So don't feel bad, you'll find another clinic that you like that is more affordable, there's no point in spending more money than you have to if you can find service that's just as good or better elsewhere...good luck! (y)

Thanks Carrie.

Here's a little run down on prices.

Old vet prescription. £10
New vet prescription. £5

Old vet insurance admin. £5
New vet insurance admin. Free.

Old vet vaccines. £59
New vet vaccines. £35

These above are the things that are not covered by my insurance so I do end up paying these.

Old vet consultation. £23
New vet consultation. £18.50

quite a saving there pauline, i never look at the charges, apart from when i pay the bill, mind you where i live there isnt much choice. di

Wow that is a good saving.At the end of the day a vets a vet.See how you get on.Like you said you can allways go back.

I was only just talking about this with the OH a few days ago. There are 3 vets in our surgery and I work with the main guys wife so he gives us 'mates rates' as we say in Dublin. The OH has met him more often than I have and while he is a nice person, I wouldnt be so pushed on him as a vet. He doesnt listen to me and if I asked a question he would answer the OH. How patronising!

The other vet is younger but she actually listens to our questions and seems well informed on Cavalier health issues. We cant really expect the reduced rates from her though!

Anyway, its a sign of the times. If you are happy with the new vet then its no harm to save a bit and like you said, you can always change back if it didnt work out.

Pauline, I admire your openness in discussing this with both vets.:flwr: I see your point about the fees. To tell the truth, I like every vet at every practice I've taken my pets to over the years, so I have a feeling that no matter which vet you choose he/she will most likely be a very good one.

Right now our main concern is 24/7/365 emergency care since Geordie's heart is grade 4-5 of 6. I don't know when it will happen, but we have to have an emergency plan in place for him. Our current vet is nearby and is staffed 24 hours a day, so I feel we're doing the best we can for our situation.

I've done this in the past, my current vet is great when I do rescues, and while not super knowledgable about cavaliers, he always seems willing to listen and learn something new from me, and his fees aren't to terrible. Good luck with your new vet!!!

I just read over my first post again and it does sound like I was a bit harsh. I actually told him how great they were and that I didn't want to change or upset anyone etc.

When I took them to the new Vet the first time & was handed the bill I was sure they forgot to add something. The total was so much lower than I was used to paying. Everybody there is great & I'm really glad I made the switch.

I was due to go to the new vet tomorrow for the first time to have Dylan's kennel cough done. He was so uncomfortable last night after his Lepto shot with my old vet. He forgot I don't like injections in the back of neck and in it went before I could say anything and Dylan screamed and was very frightened. He was quite uncomfortable all evening. He wanted to sleep but couldn't keep still. So I cancelled the kennel cough, give him a little break.

When I cancelled the kennel cough, I asked to come in some time this week to meet the new vets and look around, they were more than happy to book me a free slot. I asked who was most popular there, the receptionist said her pets go to Christina, she's the one who I spoke to this week. Christina called me straight back and asked me to come for a chat on Friday after she finishes operating. The receptionist said Christina has been telling the girls all about SM since my call. :)

Well I've been stewing about this all day. I went and told my vet I might move because of his high prices. He explained as best he could and said I am welcome to come back or to come for a chat anytime. But I was gutted, they are a lovely practice.

I will try the new vet and see what I think. At least I can change back if I want.

I bumped into a lovely lady there who used to be in my dog training class. She had a Telvara Cavalier years ago but it died of cancer at 6. At training, she used to bring her sister's Great Dane, it was the biggest thing I'd ever seen, you could have put a saddle on it! (my spell check has turned off somehow so please excuse my spelling:eek:)

Pauline...Is Telvara a breeder in the UK? Charlie Brown's Grandfather is Telvara Incognito and his Grandmother is Telvara Top Kopy. And Lucy is related to Telvara Top Kopy too. Is that the same breeder do you think?

Pauline...Is Telvara a breeder in the UK? Charlie Brown's Grandfather is Telvara Incognito and his Grandmother is Telvara Top Kopy. And Lucy is related to Telvara Top Kopy too. Is that the same breeder do you think?

My boy Jato has Telvara Incognito and Telvara Top Kopy (as well as other Telvara names) in his lines too!

Back