View Full Version : teeth product warning
10th February 2009, 03:19 PM
Ilsa just had her teeth cleaned and the vet gave me a liquid to put in her water to help clean her teeth. Upon my inspection at home, the second ingredient listed in the product is xylitol. Scared me to death, luckily I read about the xylitol on this site. I called the vet who told me not to worry, as it was a veterinary product and must be safe. She was unaware of the problem with xylitol.
Needless to say, I won't be giving it to her. I won't give the name of the company (I don't think I'm allowed), but if anyone is using a product like this please check the ingredients.
Jen and Ilsa
10th February 2009, 03:31 PM
That is so scary. Why would a company put xylitol in a product intended for dogs? Crazy!!
Can you PM me the name of the product ... I was thinking of getting something similar.
10th February 2009, 03:34 PM
After Leopold had his dental surgery the Vet tried to get me to buy this, and it wasn't cheap. I said no thanks & make sure I brush their teeth everyday. They love it. I pick up the paste & brush & say, "Who's first" & they come running.
10th February 2009, 06:22 PM
Why would you not be allowed to post the name of the product? We post names of products all the time ...every brand of dog food you can think of ...also, this forum has a section dedicated to products (ie vacuums ...Dyson for instance)
10th February 2009, 06:51 PM
When something negative is said Karlin often deletes the name of the product.
If it's ok to post the name let me know!
Jen and Ilsa
10th February 2009, 08:03 PM
I suspect you are talking about Aquadent made by Virbac?
I think it is ok to name it, you are just stating that the product contains Xylitol.
I have investigated this after my own vet recommended it - and uses it on her own dog. There is only a very small amount of Xylitol in this product, you'd need to give it at 50 times the recommended concentration to even start causing problems, so please do not worry about using it.
It's not a prescription product so you can buy it from someone like Vet uk a lot cheaper than from your vet
Dogs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog) which have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycaemia)) which can be life-threatening. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#cite_note-24) Low blood sugar can manifest as loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#cite_note-25) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#cite_note-26) Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 - 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#cite_note-27) These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect.
Cases of Xyltiol poisoning are rising, but mainly because it is found in more and more products, as it is used as an artificial sweetener in in baked goods as well as chewing gum. Dogs often find chewing gum in purses, pockets etc; it tends to be left lying around - and it only takes a small amount to affect a small dog as it contains high amounts.
10th February 2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :thmbsup:
10th February 2009, 09:49 PM
Yes thank you!!!
I still don't think I'll give it to her, She has enough to deal with without adding a possible toxin to her water every day. I'm already busy watching side effects of her other meds and SM symptoms, but I am so relieved to see that it wouldn't have killed her. (Also because the same manufacturer makes her eye gel and I was afraid to use that brand anymore)
Jen and Ilsa
11th February 2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks for that info!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.