• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

teeth product warning

ilsamom

Ilsa just had her teeth cleaned and the vet gave me a liquid to put in her water to help clean her teeth. Upon my inspection at home, the second ingredient listed in the product is xylitol. Scared me to death, luckily I read about the xylitol on this site. I called the vet who told me not to worry, as it was a veterinary product and must be safe. She was unaware of the problem with xylitol.

Needless to say, I won't be giving it to her. I won't give the name of the company (I don't think I'm allowed), but if anyone is using a product like this please check the ingredients.

Jen and Ilsa

That is so scary. Why would a company put xylitol in a product intended for dogs? Crazy!!

Can you PM me the name of the product ... I was thinking of getting something similar.

After Leopold had his dental surgery the Vet tried to get me to buy this, and it wasn't cheap. I said no thanks & make sure I brush their teeth everyday. They love it. I pick up the paste & brush & say, "Who's first" & they come running.

Why would you not be allowed to post the name of the product? We post names of products all the time ...every brand of dog food you can think of ...also, this forum has a section dedicated to products (ie vacuums ...Dyson for instance)

When something negative is said Karlin often deletes the name of the product.
If it's ok to post the name let me know!

Jen and Ilsa

I suspect you are talking about Aquadent made by Virbac?

I think it is ok to name it, you are just stating that the product contains Xylitol.

I have investigated this after my own vet recommended it - and uses it on her own dog. There is only a very small amount of Xylitol in this product, you'd need to give it at 50 times the recommended concentration to even start causing problems, so please do not worry about using it.

It's not a prescription product so you can buy it from someone like Vet uk a lot cheaper than from your vet

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1349

From Wikipedia

Dogs which have ingested foods containing high levels of xylitol (greater than 100 milligram of xylitol consumed per kilogram of bodyweight) have presented with low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) which can be life-threatening.[25] Low blood sugar can manifest as loss of coordination, depression, collapse and seizures as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion.[26][27] Intake of very high doses of xylitol (greater than 500 - 1000 mg/kg bwt) has also been implicated in liver failure in dogs, which can be fatal.[28] These are points of controversy, however, as earlier World Health Organization studies using much higher doses on dogs for long periods showed no ill effect.

Cases of Xyltiol poisoning are rising, but mainly because it is found in more and more products, as it is used as an artificial sweetener in in baked goods as well as chewing gum. Dogs often find chewing gum in purses, pockets etc; it tends to be left lying around - and it only takes a small amount to affect a small dog as it contains high amounts.

Yes thank you!!!
I still don't think I'll give it to her, She has enough to deal with without adding a possible toxin to her water every day. I'm already busy watching side effects of her other meds and SM symptoms, but I am so relieved to see that it wouldn't have killed her. (Also because the same manufacturer makes her eye gel and I was afraid to use that brand anymore)

Take care

Jen and Ilsa

Back