PDA

View Full Version : CKCS and an English Springer Spaniel

entfy
11th February 2009, 11:56 PM
Okay just so you know, I have grown up owning black labs my entire life, I'm 21, and have even bred the current mother to produce the daughter. I have always loved the CKCS, but I am also an avid hunter and I know a little CKCS just isn't up to the rigors of hunting; though i wish they were. :P I plan on having the CKCS for a year or so then get an ESS to join. Does anyone out their know of anyone who has a CKCS and an ESS? I know both are very enjoyable breeds and both generally get along with other dogs extremely well, but I was wondering if anyone had personal expierence with both at the same time.

-EnTfy :paw:

Looking forward to my CKCS once she is born in a few weeks.
:dogwlk:

Pat
12th February 2009, 01:16 AM
I have several friends who have Cavaliers and Brittanies; several with Cavaliers and Golden Retrievers; I had Cavaliers and a lab/boxer mix; I know folks with Cavaliers and Cocker Spaniels............they have all done well together. I'm sure there are occasional problems as individual dogs of all breeds might not do well with other dogs. But if you have a typical Cavalier and a typical ESS, they should get along fine.

Pat

Cathy Moon
12th February 2009, 01:50 AM
We have a member who has two Cavaliers and an ESS. As far as I remember her dogs got along fine.

asherotter31
12th February 2009, 02:35 AM
I have a cav and an irish setter - they are best friends!

Melissa
12th February 2009, 04:02 AM
I have a cavalier and my parents have 2 springers and they all get along wonderfully. We have house sat for them and the 3 get along great.

Abby2
12th February 2009, 05:12 AM
A breeder in California raises English Springers and Cavaliers. She told me that they get along very well. Because the Springers are so much bigger and heavier than the Cavaliers and Springers are so boisterous, however, the Springers can accidentally send the Cavaliers flying and they can get hurt. So she said she typically doesn't leave the Springers and Cavaliers alone together for very long unsupervised.

entfy
12th February 2009, 05:44 AM
All of your responses only improve my views upon this breed.

Barbara
12th February 2009, 10:37 AM
I have had cavaliers and english springers for 35 years and never had a problem.It all depends on the individual dogs temperaments of course. Our springers have always been gentle and biddable and I have found that with regards to exercise, a fit healthy cavalier has no problems keeping up with the springers. Obviously with a young cavalier puppy you have to keep on eye on them as springers are very boisterous ! One of my old dogs used to puppy sit cavaliers. They were allowed untold liberties, played tug of war with his ears etc. When he was fed up he would pick them up one by one and deposit them in the playpen and there was never a wet hair on them. Both are wonderful breeds that i wouldn't be without.

Brian M
12th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Hi entfy

Just just curious what do you hunt.

entfy
12th February 2009, 10:45 PM
mainly ducks and dove, but I want to get into quail and pheasant. We have some property that we haven't allowed hunting on for either of the later mentioned birds for nearly twenty years now and it will be completely ready in the next year or two. Some tresspassers nearly hunted us out of everything around 1990 and we had to put up a highfence and electrify it. ( 6400 acres )