PDA

View Full Version : Soft Paws

Noelle
12th February 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever heard of a dog with soft paws?We walk our guy on the same road every day with the last year, (he is a year and a half).
He loves his walk, however we noticed yesterday that he was lagging behind, when we checked his paws,the two front paws seemed to be grazed/worn in the same place.

The vet gave us a cream and an antibiotic and said he has soft paws.
I'm just wondering could this be a symptom of something more serious as I dont see how he could develop soft paws now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Shelli
12th February 2009, 12:01 PM
I've never heard of it, I'm sure someone else will know better.
Do they grit that road in the winter? Could the salt on the road be causing it?
i change my walk in the cold weather to roads that I know the council dont grit as the salt is bad for their paws.

diddy
12th February 2009, 09:00 PM
Ive never heard of soft paws as such, but if he's having a problem there are little boots you can buy that protect their feet from puddles etc which might help.

Kate H
12th February 2009, 09:36 PM
An old-fashioned remedy for strengthening paws is to bathe them regularly in alum and water - in the same way that walking in sea water is good for racehorses' feet and legs. Good for healing cracked paws, too.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Melissa
13th February 2009, 11:27 PM
I have some paw wax that I think might be called soft paws. I use boots for Maverick all winter because the building I live in has a lot of retired people so they salt a lot.