• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Soft Paws

Noelle

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever heard of a dog with soft paws?We walk our guy on the same road every day with the last year, (he is a year and a half).
He loves his walk, however we noticed yesterday that he was lagging behind, when we checked his paws,the two front paws seemed to be grazed/worn in the same place.

The vet gave us a cream and an antibiotic and said he has soft paws.
I'm just wondering could this be a symptom of something more serious as I dont see how he could develop soft paws now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

I've never heard of it, I'm sure someone else will know better.
Do they grit that road in the winter? Could the salt on the road be causing it?
i change my walk in the cold weather to roads that I know the council dont grit as the salt is bad for their paws.

Ive never heard of soft paws as such, but if he's having a problem there are little boots you can buy that protect their feet from puddles etc which might help.

An old-fashioned remedy for strengthening paws is to bathe them regularly in alum and water - in the same way that walking in sea water is good for racehorses' feet and legs. Good for healing cracked paws, too.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I have some paw wax that I think might be called soft paws. I use boots for Maverick all winter because the building I live in has a lot of retired people so they salt a lot.

Back