• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

shelley

My 4 year old has been diagnosed via endoscopy and biopsies, with inflammatory bowel disease, possibly caused by food allergy. He's on a low dose of prednisone and can only eat Hill's I/D canned food. Anything else gives him diarrhea. I want to try a hypoallergenic food and was hoping someone out there might have some experience with this. I tried IVD Venison and Potato awhile back...no go. Thanks for your help!

Have the same question you have

I was just about to post a similar problem. My 4-month-old pup, Josie, has been diagnosed with some kind of chronic colitis. It may be inflammatory bowel disease, but I don't know yet. We've had barium x-rays done that show intestinal inflammation, but we haven't had any other tests done yet. The only thing she's been able to eat in over a month is Hill's ID (dry). Every time I try to wean her off of it and onto a better quality food (which the breeder would like for me to do), she gets bloody diarrhea. She seems to alternate between diarrhea and constipation and has a lot of bloating and pain in her abdomen. During flare-ups, she's on Sucralfate, Cimetadine, and generic Flagyl twice a day. Poor Josie can't eat so much as a dog treat (or rawhide) without having diarrhea. We're in another flare-up now. :(

Wish I had some answers for you, but I'm looking for some myself. A friend of mine advised me to use distilled or filtered water instead of tap water, so I started doing that yesterday. I'm also going to start giving her plain (no sugar) yogurt with every meal. During flare-ups, I give her yogurt, rice, boiled chicken, and canned pumpkin with a little bit of ID to give her digestive system a rest.

I, too, am looking for some hypoallergenic dog foods. So far I've tried introducing (VERY slowly, mixed with ID) Eagle Pak regular and holistic, Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie, Natural Balance, Chicken Soup Puppy (MAJOR diarrhea...too rich), and Chicken Soup Adult Light (at the breeder's suggestion...also caused diarrhea after a couple of days). If I get even up to 70/30 mix (70% ID), she has diarrhea. I'm thinking about trying Nature's Variety raw foods next, which the breeder suggested, but I'm still a little afraid to do it. http://www.naturesvariety.com/

I think my next step is to take her to a holistic vet to get her opinion. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This problem is getting very frustrating, and my heart is breaking for little Josie, who cries sometimes with abdominal pain.

Lori

I had a Cavalier with IBD and currently have one who is very prone to colitis. I feed my current one Royal Canin Sensitivity food and it works well. I found the Hills ID food improved her poos a bit but not as much as I was told by the vet it would, or by others who had used it (but then, every dog is different). I asked my vet about it and they said that from their experience Cavaliers and dodgy bellys go hand in hand - they are just a bit sensitive. The current food is working a treat so will stick to it and perhaps wean her off it when I finish the current bag. I also have a neighbour who has a Cavalier mix who was diagnosed wih IBD recently, she tried every food out there and her dog is currently also on Royal Canin Sensitivity and she finds it works brilliantly. I found it took about a week to kick in and my dog really loves it (gobbles it down like treats! :rolleyes:). I know you are looking for a holistic or hypoallergenic food but this is worth a try if you are anxious to get your dog off the current food.

The unfortunate thing with IBD is that it can take a while for the inflammation can take a while to settle, even if poos return to a reasonable state there can still be some sensitivity so treatment can be long and frustrating (the minute you think they are ok they get a bout again!). Natural Bio yogurt is a great way to get the bacteria in the belly balanced again (when they have diarrhea the bacteria in the bowel gets unbalanced and this can prolong the problem). Hope you find what you are looking for and your dog is feeling better soon :)

I am sorry to read about your problems, it is horrible to have to go through.

I had a lot of colitis problems with one of my dogs, eventually the vet said give him either plain steamed chicken or plain steamed fish with nothing else for at least 2 weeks. No rice, nothing! Then to change him over to a diet of a protein and carb that he had not had before but to take at least 3 weeks to change him over.

I opted for a salmon and potato food and fortunately it worked for us.
The vet said that he thought people didnt take enough time giving the simple plain food time to help ease digestive system and then didnt take enought time when changing to a new food if their dog had problems.

So sorry to hear this - one of my boys has pancreatic insufficiency so we have issues here too :(

During the most recent flare up, the vet gave me Diarsanyl paste which seems to work faster than Pro-Kolin and more effectively - I'm now keeping some in the house.

Maintains intestinal function thanks to its unique combination of ingredients:

• Montmorillonite – coats and protects the intestines and absorbs toxins
  • Na+, Mg2+ and K+ ions – helps maintain electrolyte levels
  • Dextrose – provides an energy source for the intestines
This unique palatable vanilla flavour paste formula is more effective than pills or powder
I get mine from http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30

I also make up my own version of Hills ID - the recipe came from a booklet they produced some years ago which contained home made versions of their diets :D

Measurements are USA cup measures but I've added my conversions!

Recipe 1 Highly Digestible diet for Dogs - cottage cheese and egg are very easy to digest

1/2 cup farina cooked to make 2 cups {Semolina, Cream of Wheat} 80g
– bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the semolina stirring constantly. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese 375g
1 large egg hard cooked {preferably free range}
2 tablespoons Brewers yeast – I use Engevita, produced by Marigold - from health food shops.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 teaspoon potassium chloride – available from E-bay
1 teaspoon dicalcium phosphate – currently trying to locate, only seems to be available in the US.
1 teaspoon calcium carbonate – available from E-bay

Cook semolina {according to directions on packet including any salt}. Cool. Add remaining ingredients to semolina and mix well. Yield 2 lbs approx. I give this amount to Cruz {9.5kg dog} over two days.

**Add a balanced supplement which fulfils the canine MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals eg SA37** {or a more natural supplement such as The Missing Link.}

I actually make my own cottage cheese now too, as it's difficult to obtain here - I confess that I've never liked cottage cheese before, but this is actually nice :D

Supplies needed to make cottage cheese

• Earthenware crock pot or stainless steel pan
  • A dairy thermometer
  • A long spoon
  • A large pan larger than your crock to serve as a double boiler
  • A long handled knife
  • Measuring cups and spoons
  • A colander
  • Cheesecloth
  • A mixing bowl
  • Four tablespoons of unflavored yogurt
Make cottage cheese - Clabber the milk

Pour about a gallon of pasteurized milk into your crock pot or stainless steel pan. Heat the milk to 80 degrees Fareneheit using the double boiler method with your second crockpot to prevent scalding. Add four tablespoon of unflavored yogurt to your milk and mix thoroughly. Allow the mixture to sit at 80 degrees Farenheit until the milk is clabbered. This may take up to twelve hours to be complete. If you cover the bowl, do it with a thin covering that allows good airflow. When the milk has clabbered, you should see curd, a thick cheesy substance at the bottom of the bowl and watery liquid at the top of the bowl, which is the whey. You're ready to proceed to the next step when you can insert a knife into the center of your bowl and it comes out clean.
Make cottage cheese - Cut the curd

Use your long handled knife to cut the curd into two inch cubes. This will allow more of the whey to separate out. Allow the cut cubes to sit for 15 minutes before stirring them gently using your hands.
Make cottage cheese - Heat the curd

Using the double boiler method, heat the curd over boiling water very slowly to 115 degrees Farenheit. Do not exceed this temperature to get the best quality cottage cheese. Hold the curds at 115 degrees Fareneheit for twenty five minutes, stirring gently every five minutes. Your curds should now be firm to the touch.
Make cottage cheese - Strain the curd

Line your colander with cheesecloth to prepare to strain the curd. Pour the curds into the cheesecloth lined colander and allow the whey to drain. Lift the cheesecloth carefully out of the colander to allow any residual whey to separate out. Rinse the curds that remain with cold water.

My little one has suspected IBD... our vet suspects her bad bout of gastroenteritis followed swiftly by the pyometra and post-op diarrhea tipped her over the edge. She was put on flagyl for a week plus HillsID, which stopped the diarrhea, but her poo was still very soft. A couple of days after we stopped the flagyl, the diarrhea started again. She's now on a month's course of flagyl, and is on Royal Canin sensitivity - and I can't believe the difference - everything is perfectly normal now. I'm a bit nervous about it coming back when she finishes the course of tablets - but am hoping it won't, given that she was never this good before we tried the Royal Canin sensitivity. We haven't given her any food other than that for the last 3 weeks - no treats or anything - am hoping we'll be able to give her an occasional dog biscuit eventually, but we'll have to discuss it with our vet when we bring her in for her checkup once her meds are finished.

Some find feeding a raw diet helps this problem too. If you do consider this, I would research such diets carefully -- in such a situation my own preference would be to feed a commercial raw diet to be sure of a proper balance of nutrients.

I tried so many dog foods for my dogs (golden and cavalier). They would go along fine for a few weeks and then have a diarrhea blowout. I finally asked my sergeant (the one who introduced me to cavvies in the first place) what he fed his dogs. He recommended Nutro Natural choice and we have never had a prolem since then. Even Bailey,my rescue who was described as a picky eater when I picked him up, chows down. They do not use chemical preservatives in their foods. They also have several blends which makes it nice for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.

I hope you fine the right combo.

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie

IBD Dog Thanks You!

:xfngr:Thank you all for your posts. I have emailed Royal Canin and Purina for samples of their sensitivity and hypoallergenic diets. I'm hoping to find a commercial diet that works. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I really want to get my little guy off Flagyl (he's been on it now for 10 months). He's also been on canned I/D for 10 months. I'm hoping if I can get him back to mostly dry food (he can't tolerate dry I/D) I can get his weight back down. I've given up hoping for a completely normal stool...I'll take anything I can pick up!

Fingers crossed you find something that helps. Bear in mind it can take some time for the new diet to start working - it took about a week before the RC sensitivity kicked in for us, We've only 2 days left on the flagyl so will update you on how we get on after that....

I would feed them Nature's Variety Raw (but not Raw Rabbit, as something in it is sourced in China). Geordie had the same problem, and finally his health returned when he was fed NV Raw Lamb.

I would not be surprised if pancreatic insufficiency was causing the problem. Talk to your vets about it and see what they say.(y)

In Geordie's case, I believe that the combination of a proton pump inhibitor drug for SM (Prilosec) and raw wheat germ has restored his digestive enzymes to normal.

asked my mum (shes a vet) and she said to try boiling chicken with organic rice with a little broth. She said sometimes the best things you can feed a dog with stool issues is fresh food. She also said to add a bit of veggies carrots work well...a bit of sliced banana and some cottage cheese.

I hope your pup feels better soon. I only feed amanda this diet. A little bit of dry kibble and she loves it.

Our dogs eat better than we do dont' they. :cool:

Our little one is now off her tablets for 5 days, and everything is still perfect - so fingers crossed the new food has sorted her out :xfngr:

Glad your little one is a bit better Princess Buttercup.

A friend had read the orginal post, and asked me to share her story with you:

.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana } Jenny was diagnosed many years ago via bowel biopsy with Inflammatory Bowel Disease and I know how distressing it can be .

Jenny after a short course of steroids to calm the inflammation was started on Wafcol Salmon & Potato diet and has done wonderfully well (she is 12 years old ) she also gets Wafcol Tomato & herb treats. She also can have fresh cooked fish and vegetables. Over the years if she has a mild flare up she gets Buscupan tablets which relax her bowel ,in general she is very well as long as we stick to her diet and try to keep her stress free.
.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Verdana }

I hope that helps (y)

We were back with our vet last night for our little one's checkup and he was delighted with her progress. She'd put on half a kilo and hasn't had a problem with loose stools since she's been on the new food. She's also in brilliant form, loads of energy and her coat looks fab. She's off flagyl a week now, and everything is still perfect. I was hoping we'd be able to go back to giving her the odd treat (like mixed ovals etc) but he doesn't think that's a good idea - so it's royal canin sensitivity for the rest of her life! Luckily she loves it. Anyway, Here's hoping her little problem doesn't come back! :xfngr:

My ruby, Arthur, has had stomach problems for a couple of years...chronic colitis then diagnosed IBD....we live with a treatment of flagyl/metronidozole in our house and it seems that we have a flare up about once every three months. He is also in a low dose steriod, prednisone, 3 days a week. This steriod treatment leads us to extra blood work each six months to monitor kidney and liver functions but so far we have a progressively healthier baby. The only food that works is Purina's EN (very similar to Hill's ID) I have tried other sesitive stmach food and each time led to a flare up.

With Arthur, we have found that this works and will stick with it. He had a flare up 18+ months ago that led a a bacterial infection on one of the valves of his heart. Now, each time we have even the threat of a flare up it is back to 5 days of flagyl without question. Keeping his heart healthy is my priority.

Just wanted to share another IBD story. From here, the best thing to do is find what works for you, monitor closely with your vet and always keep meds on hand. Goood luck...its not fun and very messy sometimes :) Thank goodness for tile flooring!

Back