• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

LA region owners: be very careful about coyotes!!

Eeks.
That problem is out here, too (Georgia). I see coyotes quite often in my neighborhood. I've seen them several times in the front yard during the night. Our neighborhood is in the country, and my back yard joins a huge pasture and woods complete with creek and river bottom that is many hundreds of acres. On a full moon, you can see the coyotes trot the fence and watch my big dogs with their eyes glowing yellow when they are out. Kaya wants to get to them bad, so I have to keep her put up. I don't think they'd come in after her and Lad, but they might do so for the little dogs. Many pets go missing around here and never return. Cats and small dogs.

We actually have a good number of coyote sightings in the Atlanta suburbs. There are signs in neighborhoods all the time reading "Coyote Sighting - keep your small pets supervised" and similar. My dogs never go outside alone, even with a six foot fence around the back. We have cats missing all the time around here - many I think are eaten by coyotes.

Pat

We too have the problem with coyotes, some of our neighbours actually filmed & hotographed them to show round to everyone to make them aware.

Hoopy is never allowed out on her own, I supervise all the time:D

((((Karen))))

I was so sad to read that this morning (came to me through a google alert). My neighbor lost her kitty a few months back to a coyote, a few weeks later there was one not 20 feet from my back window just staring at me and then we heard them killing something on our hillside. The doggie door was then permanently shut. The dog do not go outside unaccompanied until we get a fence with a coyote roller bar and I know they will be safe. I can't blame the coyotes, they've got nowhere else to go. I called our Wildlife Assistance center and their advice was to scare the coyotes away (I have a pellet gun I carry outside with me now, we've seen coyotes at 6 in the morning and as early as 4 in the afternoon). He said that unless you frighten them away they will edge in closer and closer. Scary.

I was so sad to read that this morning (came to me through a google alert). My neighbor lost her kitty a few months back to a coyote, a few weeks later there was one not 20 feet from my back window just staring at me and then we heard them killing something on our hillside. The doggie door was then permanently shut. The dog do not go outside unaccompanied until we get a fence with a coyote roller bar and I know they will be safe. I can't blame the coyotes, they've got nowhere else to go. I called our Wildlife Assistance center and their advice was to scare the coyotes away (I have a pellet gun I carry outside with me now, we've seen coyotes at 6 in the morning and as early as 4 in the afternoon). He said that unless you frighten them away they will edge in closer and closer. Scary.

The pellet shotgun is rather effective - if anyone is in the market for something to scare them off. We see them all the time but I have not seen them near the hosue in a LONG time, bobcats are another story...

Aren't mountain lions a problem in Southern California as well? I've read articles about them killing and eating pets. :eek:

Aren't mountain lions a problem in Southern California as well? I've read articles about them killing and eating pets. :eek:

When I lived in New Mexico there was a mountain lion that continually stalked people - she was eventually killed but what we didn't know is that she had 2 cubs that she had taught to stalk people as well. It took about a year and a half before those 2 were killed and people could go out for a jog without being worried.

The coyotes are mating on Cape Cod! :eek: Last week we heard the most awful sounds in the evening. It turned out to be coyotes. Neighbors have reported seeing several near our road. Needless to say we stay out in our fenced back yard with our golden and cavalier pup. The latter goes in a small fenced in area when it's dark or early morning. The winter has been hard and the wild animals are foraging for anything to eat.

Heather R

Back