• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vet college adventure

Cathy Moon

Yesterday Colin and I took our three cavaliers to Ohio state university for a cardiology re-evaluation. It turned out to be a nice adventure for all three. Geordie needed an x-ray, and Dr. B. (cardiologist), and his two students offered to keep all three for 1-2 hours so that we could go out to lunch and do a little sight-seeing.

When we returned, we were told that our cavaliers stayed in the break room with the vets and vet students, and lots of student listened to their hearts, especially to Chocolate's because a grade 1 murmur is difficult to hear.

All three dogs were relaxed and happy when returned to us. :D India is age 5.5 and heart clear, Chocolate is turning 7 and is still grade 1. Geordie's heart has advanced to grade 5 murmur, but he shows absolutely no signs of congestive heart failure or severe heart enlargement. We've been told what to watch for and what to do, so I feel more secure in knowing what possible scenarios to expect and what immediate action to take.:flwr:

All three cavaliers slept soundly during the 2.5 hour drive home from OSU, and this morning they're having a long sleep in after breakfast.:slp::slp::slp:

How wonderful that you're able to take advantage of such unique services! My nephew attended OSU (now serving in the Army) and my in-laws currently live in Westerville - the 'burbs of Columbus.

I've had occasion to use U of GA/Athens skilled teaching facilities, but due to the distance, never for a preventive reason, unfortunately. It's nice to hear these kinds of experiences as well.

Hi Cathy! Sounds like you and the pups had quite an adventure! How old is Geordie? Is he on any meds yet for his heart? I had a Foster girl here, Hannah (we found her a great home!!), who is about 9 with a grade 4-- she had no symptoms but did have some enlargement. The cardiologist started her on Enalapril. Pat B also helped me a good bit and recommended CoQ10 and Vitamin E.

Hi Holly, I'm glad you found Hannah a great home. :lotsaluv:

Geordie is 5.5 years old. He started on Enalapril last summer when he was grade 4, like Hannah. I have been giving Geordie CoQ10 as well, but his cardiologist said yesterday it won't really help him, since it won't help the bad heart valve. I'm going to keep giving it to him anyways, since it won't do him any harm either. I give him raw wheat germ every day for vitamin E and other beneficial vitamins.

Geordie will stay on Enalapril for the rest of his life according to the cardiologist. Four (and possibly five) other medicines will be added later as sign(s) of congestive heart failure begin to appear: furosemide, pimobendan, spironolactone, and a beta blocker. When the time comes, Geordie will be hospitalized for at least a day or so to get new meds right. We are monitoring him for cough, faster than normal breathing rate, exercise intolerance, respiratory distress, and collapse. When he exhibits any of these signs, we're supposed to take him to an emergency clinic (our vet has 24 hour emergency care and hospital) and Dr B will work with our vets to get him stabilized on the right meds.

I guess I gave you more info than you asked for :oops:, but if anyone else has a cavalier with advancing MVD it might be helpful information.

Thanks, Cathy-- since having Hannah at my house for about 6 months and dealing with MVD for the first time, I am trying to learn as much as possible ( Her new home is close to her cardiologist and will keep up with her heart. They are in love with her already!). As my own Cavaliers age, I'm sure it's something I will have to deal with, too. I do feel very fortunate to have Pat B close by as a resource! :)

Hugs to you and Geordie! He is very lucky to have such a diligent mom.

(y) We are all fortunate to have Pat B here! :)thnku:pat B!!!!) (y) Yes, you're lucky to have her close by. :rah:

Once they reach grade 4, it seems like the cardio vet wants to see them every 6 months or so, which is fine in my book. It's great to have a cardio nearby.

There is a cardio about 1 hour away from us, but we like Dr. B. and OSU - I like providing vet students with experience like this.

Back