PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Dog Shampoo

Mom of Jato
15th February 2009, 11:42 PM
I gave both dogs a bath today with the Isle Of Dogs No.10 shampoo. It is wonderful!!! I had to order it on-line as there are no shops near to me that sell it. It is a bit pricey, but it left their coat so silky and shiny- I feel it is worth every penny. The first ingredient is Evening Primrose Oil. A big :thmbsup: to Brotymo who suggested this product initially.

brotymo
16th February 2009, 01:18 AM
:D

WoodHaven
16th February 2009, 02:37 PM
I must be one of the only people that didn't see an improvement on this shampoo/conditioner system. I used two bottles over numerous dogs for months and went back to what I had been using.

nicola
17th February 2009, 10:07 PM
What shampoo do you use Sandy? I like the groomers range.

Daisy's Mom
23rd February 2009, 08:56 PM
I bought this shampoo/conditioner set based on Brotymo's post, too. (Thanks for the recommendation -- I LOVE trying new products.)

I have to say I don't think the shampoo does anything special for Daisy, and I feel like I have to use a LOT of it it get her clean. Given its price, that is a problem. I was really surprised when they said you could dilute it 10 to 1 and I actually did that the first time I bathed her with it. Needless to say I ended up dumping lots more on her directly after that dilution was used up. It may be just that I like a more sudsing type shampoo (both for myself and for Daisy). I will end up going through this bottle very quickly, as much as I end up using each time I give her a bath.

But I really love the conditioner a lot! I got the one called "Heavy Management" or something like that, and it really leaves her hair beautifully full and silky, and not curly or fluffy. It's also a very nice consistency to work with. Daisy's hair on her hindquarters can tend to get fluffy, and this conditioner helps with that. Daiy has a really nice coat in general, but I think her coat is looking better and better since I've been using this conditioner. I've used it on her about 3 times so far. I would highly recommend it. Again, thanks for the recommendation, Brotymo! I know in your original post you said you didn't use the conditioner, but the next time you order, you might want to try it out because it's really good.

Katelyn
23rd February 2009, 11:27 PM
I must try that!how often do you guys wash your dogs with shampoo?

WoodHaven
23rd February 2009, 11:33 PM
I must try that!how often do you guys wash your dogs with shampoo?

Once a month-- more often if they get into something.

tara
24th February 2009, 04:37 AM
Holy cow, I might be doing something really wrong! I bathe Holly twice a week. Not really because she's filthy, but just because she gets a bit dirty and she really loves bath time. I alternate between Plush Puppy and Pet Silk. She's only 11 months, so her coat isn't fully in -- maybe this is why bathing is so easy with her? I towel her off, brush a bit and we're done. No need for any special drying yet.

Am I bathing too often?

Daisy's Mom
24th February 2009, 05:16 AM
x

Daisy's Mom
24th February 2009, 05:17 AM
Tara, I suspect many people on this board would tell you you are bathing her too often, but I am not one of those people! I bathe Daisy every week to 10 days in the winter and every week in the summer. She just doesn't look good after about a week and she doesn't smell good either. And the more walks we've taken during the week, the worse she looks. Our stupid neighborhood has extra wide streets and almost no traffic, but it doesn't have sidewalks so she gets all the black/grey road grime all over her pretty white feet and feathers after just one walk. It's very frustrating and I end up giving her just a foot bath after most of our walks.

Our vet said you could bathe them as often as every 3 days without harm if you really wanted to, as long as you use a good gentle dog shampoo.

I will say I am a total fanatic about rinsing well. I make sure she is completely rinsed and then I rinse another couple of minutes after that just to make sure. I don't know if that makes the difference or not, but Daisy has never been itchy, had dry skin, or had an ear infection, so I don't think bathing her this often has caused any problems. And she is just so soft, pretty, and sweet-smelling after a bath that I just want to eat her up. I've only recently begun blow-drying her a little bit after baths because it's been so cold here. She does look better when I blow dry her (more showy), but I had never tried it until recently. I always just brushed her a couple of different times as she was drying and she always came out great with very little fuss.

brotymo
24th February 2009, 05:46 AM
Hi Daisy's mom, I will definitely have to try the conditioner. I know I only dilute the shampoo myself about half and half, and I have noticed it sudses less (giving the illusion that they arent getting clean), but I attributed that to the high levels of conditioner in the shampoo. It doesn't strip out their coat. They take a good bit longer to dry. The conditioning helps keep them cleaner. When the hair is stripped of the oils as deep cleaning shampoos do, it leaves the hair shaft dry, and then that hair soaks up whatever it comes into contact with...dirty water, urine, etc, so the hair shaft actually soaks up the stain, appearing dirty, and that won't just come out with the next bath. The better conditioned you leave the coat, the cleaner it will stay. I do like that about this shampoo.
The conditioning in the shampoo does make it harder to get any oilyness out of their ear feathering. I like to use their number 20 royal jelly shampoo for the ears. It leaves them nice and fluffy.
Since you are using the conditioner, you might not want to also use the heavy, conditioning shampoo. I know the sales lady had recommended another shampoo to me as well, but I didn't want to pony up any more $$ at the time.
I am sure, like peoples' hair, dogs coats are very varied and what is great for one might not do the job for another.
As far as bathing frequency goes, Isle of Dogs is said to be gentle enough to use daily. I bathe my guys every week. It doesn't cause them any problems with itching or flaky skin. Bandit just downright stinks if I don't (maybe it is being unneutered). He pees all over his stomach, so I actually have to plop him in the sink and bathe his belly about twice a day!