• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best age to get insurance

nannyj

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this group, and I haven't even gotten my puppy yet! He's coming home in three weeks, but I have a question. I plan on getting insurance for him, but I'm wondering how long I should wait. I don't want to get it too soon if I don't need to, but I don't want to wait too long and then wish I had gotten it sooner!

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Nancy

Get it immediately. Anything no matter how small that comes up at ANY vet visit until you get him insured will be excluded from coverage. That includes symptoms that could relate to serious problems years from now. Also only get insurance from a company that covers genetic issues. (y)

Ditto what Karlin said! Here in the US, I can personally vouch for Embrace being a wonderful company. They cover genetic as well. Another that covers genetic that I hear is good, but don't have any experience with is Petplan.

Congratulations on your puppy.
This is only my opinion. I always get my insurance as soon as I get the puppy, even the puppy is insured for I think six weeks through the breeder. For the first fourteen days of your insurance you can’t claim and also if anything would happen to your pup or any illness is diagnosed you won’t ever be able to claim for that illness for the live of your dog. I don’t want to sound all gloom and doom but my advice is take out insurance asap as you never know what is around the corner.

I agree, do it asap, i insured Bailey the day i was picking her up, however she was poorly within the first 14 days of getting her and these problems are still occuring some 8 months later! None of my vet bills have been covered because of this. In the last month alone i have spent approx £300 on vet bills for Bailey :eek:

Defnately sort out your insurance soon, you may not need to claim straight away, but better to be safe than sorry (y)

Its not an easy choice either so it may take you weeks to decide so you have time to find the best one, watch out for whats covered, ie mine pays the first £3000 of any illness, its really not enough, his hip will cost more than this, plus if he has any further problems, then there consultant fees, xrays etc, also mine says "within a year" so if you pups limping when hes six months old and it clears up and two years later his has hd then it could be that the insurance wont pay. I think id be more choosy is i have to insure my dog again. Might change companys once this is all sorted. di

I would say get insurance as soon as you can, Jasper was insured at about 6 months, we were always going to insure, just looked into the best company to offer ongoing illnesses, we had MVD in mind as we knew this was a big problem with this breed, we have stayed with Pet Plan all the way through but they do offer good cover, we have only had to claim once about 4 years ago, but now that Jasper has now been put on heart tablets for life we will be making a continuation claim, he is insured for £6,OOO for any illness, you just don`t know whats around the corner.

Hi Jasperpaw

Having three girls all with a claim free record and all under 2 then ,I was with Petplan then with Paulines advice I changed to AXA and saved £500 went from approx £850 to £350 and still cover for life ,had 2 claims on my cats and AXA paid within 3 weeks , £70 excess ,but far better response and very similar cover with AXA and help line in UK not Calcutta:)

Hi Brian, must admit I had never heard of AXA for pet insurance until I joined this site, we pay £85 excess and the premiums have gone up over the years, bearing in mind Jasper is now nearly 9, won`t be changing now obviously with his illness, understand what your saying about help line, did have problems understanding when phoned for claim form, but phoned again last week to see if they had received my claim and the lady was english and very helpful.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I'm going to take everyone's advice and get the insurance right away.

Lani, I had been looking into Petplan, since it looked like it covered genetic issues, and it's much more affordable than Embrace. Do you have any experience with customer service or claims?

Another question, since this is all new to me. Do all vets accept all insurance companies? Or is it like people's health insurance, where certain doctors accept certain insurance?

Thanks to all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Nancy

Back