PDA

View Full Version : We survived our dental!

CVFlagg
18th February 2009, 10:02 PM
I took my oldest, Beanie (age 9) in today for her dental. She has a grade 3 murmur but her teeth were so bad from not being taken care of by the previous owner that the vet said we had to do it or it would really speed up the degeneration of her heart. I took in everything Cathy wrote out about anesthesia for dogs with heart issues and my vet followed it to a tee. He even called me mid-procedure on speaker phone to let me know everything was going well-clearly he sensed that I was a basket case this morning. She is home now laying on my bed enjoying the drugs. I am so happy that everything turned out alright, I was so nervous putting her under.

Cathy T
18th February 2009, 10:44 PM
Hooray!!! Mine are set for the 25th....I, too, printed out Cathy's post and have discussed it with my vet to be sure I'm doing the best I can. I also have a message into my holistic vet to find out what kind of recommendations she has.

That is really great that Beanie came through with flying colors. You definitely did the best thing for her. I think the worries over the problems bad teeth can cause cause me more concern than anesthesia. But it's always a little scary with a senior with a murmur. That's really neat that your vet called midway through to let you know how she was doing. Bet that was a relief.

jld
19th February 2009, 12:27 AM
Dixie got her dental today, and is home and happy.........

brotymo
19th February 2009, 12:48 AM
so glad for you! maybe she can share some of her drugs to help your nerves :D

Cathy Moon
19th February 2009, 01:35 AM
That's wonderful about Beanie!

Looks like we have lots of dentals happening this month - I'm taking India and Chocolate in on the 26th. :D

CVFlagg
19th February 2009, 02:14 AM
It is national vet dental month so everyone should be giving some sort of discount to get people in the door. My vet does it in February and August so the other two are scheduled for August. It actually is a decent savings. Hope everyone else's dental goes well!

Scottie
19th February 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm glad everything went well, it's nerve racking when they have to go under for treatment.
When my cocker spaniel went for a dental (3 teeth out and a gum infection) I was so nervous I couldn't eat the whole day.
The vet dental month is a great idea, I wish my vet did that!

jazz
20th February 2009, 02:14 AM
I, too, printed out Cathy's post and have discussed it with my vet to be sure I'm doing the best I can.

Can you please direct me to that post--two of my dogs need dentals and with some of the unfortunate things happening during surgery, I want to be as informed as possible.

Glad Beanie did well--I wish my vet gave discounts this month--but I'm comfortable with him so that counts for a lot.

CVFlagg
20th February 2009, 03:08 AM
Deb-

It is on page 5 of the health section. Title is "Safe General Anesthetic".