• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Periodontal Disease ?

Sabby

Last night I noticed that Ebony was not her usual self and that she was drooling from one side of her mouth and she kept licking her lips. I looked into her mouth and near one tooth her gum was bleeding. I thought that she could have cut her gum on a Chew. This morning I checked and I couldn’t see anything and she was eating ok. Later on in the day I noticed a slight smell and that her gums looked red. So I made an appointment with the vet for the morning. My breeder came over as we go dog training together and she had a look and she mentioned periodontal disease. I googled it and it mentions that it is caused by plaque. Ebony is only two and her teeth are very clean so I don’t understand how she would get this. My breeder thinks that it can be caught from a dog that has this condition. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sabby,

Last year Oakley had an ear infection - the only signs were that he was drooling and contantly licking his lips (to get rid of the drool) I would get to the vets and get Ebony checked out - the gum bleed may be a red herring? esp if her teeth are clean :)

Apparently the main cause of excessive drooling and licking is stress, pain, anxiety or poisoning.

heres a site that shows pictures of the different stages of periodontl disease http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/periodontics/could_my_dog_or_cat_have_periodo.htm

Hi Katelyn

Thanks for the link. I looked at the pictures and Ebony looks like a grade 1 gingivitis.
The vet was surprised as Ebonys teeth are very clean. He has given me antibiotics and told me to keep an eye on it. My breeder said that I should buy gengigel and rub it into the gum.

Back