• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brushing teeth

linderbelle

Who brushes their dogs teeth and how often.

For me about once a week as I make a mess but I just changed vet and new vet commented and was shocked at how nice Abbey's teeth were.

Lucky!!!!! Ilsa closes her mouth and shakes her head around. The first chance she gets she runs away and hides from me. I've tried since she was a puppy and she never got used to it!

Jen and Ilsa

Mine do pretty good with it. Abbey and Winston we got as young pups. Bentley was a year old and Chelsea almost 3. Chelsea is a little tougher--I have found that if hubby holds her it is alot easier and I do a better job.

Hi Linderbelle

I think I go slightly OTT ,but this is my nightly routine and it starts after I have cleaned my own teeth and its always in the following order just in case I get mixed up I start with Poppy then Daisy then Rosie
then I

1) Brush their teeth using Sherleys dual action dog toothpaste for clean teeth and fresh breath
2) Next I clean their teeth using Logic Oral Hygiene Gel
3)Then I give each a half a small dog Logic chew
4)Next I clean their teeth with PetzLife Oral care Gel but with wild salmon flavour.
5)Then I squirt to the left then to the right then to the front of their teeth with Petzlife Oral Care Spray that removes plaque and tarter kills bacteria and freshens breath and I do that lot nightly with all three of them just before bedtime and it probably takes me 30 minutes.
I then put all that stuff away clean their three tooth brushes and end up going to bed cos I am knaxxx by then.:)
Its all good fun and makes me and I hope the girls happy though Daisy and Rosie dont seem to keen on the taste of the PetzLife stuff.

Mine clamp their mouths shut and won't let me brush. I've tried since Gus and Pippin were puppies...I usually end up doing it with my finger or just giving them logic gel.

Someone told me to use a baby toothbrush..I might try that.

I use the tooth spray, it doesn't work that well but it's better then nothing for resistant dogs like mine. She loves the toothpaste but won't let me in her mouth.I bought her the logic chews and she didn't like them. I had something years ago for a different dog, It was like a big soft toothbrush. The idea was you put the toothpaste on the bristles and the dog would chew it, brushing her own teeth. I'd love to try that again but I haven't found it. I think it was from Petco about 10 years ago, maybe longer.

If anyone knows about it let me know please!!!

Jen and Ilsa

Just something I was wondering with those who have more than one dog. I was advised by my vet to squirt the toothpaste onto a plate first so if Dylan had any germs in his mouth, I didn't contaminate the tube of toothpaste. He used to have a lot of tummy upsets.

Brian, do you go to as much trouble over your own teeth? ;)

For those that do this successfully, I'm curious what your technique is. I've been using one of the toothbrushes that you slip onto the top of your finger, along with a beef flavor toothpaste.

Ragnar loves the toothpaste so its a race for me to brush it around inside his mouth before he eats it all off my finger/brush. So it only lasts about 15 seconds. I'm not sure how useful it is.

I do the same but I keep putting more toothpaste on the brush till all the teeth are brushed. (y)

Brian, your dogs gargle? Now that's clever! icon_nwunsure

With reference to Brian M saying 'in case I get mixed up' ..... given that you brush your dogs teeth straight after doing your own the consequences could be quite yucky! Plus ... just have a vision of all 4 of you standing in line at the washbasin heeeheee ;)

I bought kid -sized oral b toothbrushes (Elmo and friends) for each of my dogs. One day, I will brush the girls' teeth with the toothbrushes and dog toothpaste (poultry flavor). The next day, it's the boy's turn. On the days, that the dogs don't get their teeth brushed, I rub Petzlife gel on their teeth. So just about everyday, they either get their teeth brushed or get their teeth smeared with gel. I try very hard to get to their back teeth. Monty is the hardest to brush. (He also has the fewest teeth). They seem to tolerate the Petzlife better. It is definitely not their favorite part of the day.
J.

Jasper has never liked having his teeth cleaned since he was a pup, I have tried a small tooth brush and flavoured paste and a rubber finger brush but he always licked it all off before it ever got into his mouth, we even were advised to use Hills small dog type knobbly biscuits specialy to help with teeth - we used them for a long time, but the bags were really expensive so stopped getting them, not sure if they really helped. Had a good laugh at a mental picture of Brian and the cavs all lined up cleaning their teeth.:)

Playing doctors & dentists

Very impressed with Brian's routine.:w*w: Where do you buy all that dental care for the girls Brian?

I play doc and dentist with Murphy every day. Clicking and treating as I look at a paw, an ear, a nail etc.

Started off with front teeth, clicked and treated, and now am able to brush all teeth.

I think dogs will tolerate tooth brushing with perseverance, but you need to start doing one tooth at a time. Eventually they even enjoy it.

Brian's dogs won't ever need Da Vinci veneers:D. Sounds like they could advertise toothpaste:rah:

Mary
Mom to Dan:paw:and Murphy:paw:

Hi Mary

Its a fun routine with the three of them they all like the toothpaste and the logic chews and gel but aren't that keen on the Petzlife gel and spray and sometime I can get a good brush on easy with say Poppy that may last 1-2 Min's but Daisy may not be in the mood so hers could be only 20 secs ,so its swings and roundabouts so if I don't do a good clean with one product i get it with another ,probably thats why I do it so many times .Supplies for plaque off I find on ebay just got 2 more tubs today ,the Logic chews and gel come from Vetuk as does the toothpaste and the Petzlife stuff is a US product but I get it from a UK distributor.As I said I enjoy doing the routine and the girls are just about used to that human loon ball companion of them. so good luck and keep on trucking or is that brushing.:):):)

Warmest Wishes

I bought them each a baby toothbrush today, really soft and suitable for 4-24 months...and guess what they let me brush and even seemed to like it!

Hi pippa

Well done on your new teeth regime ,just done my three ,as you say with all the flavoured doggy toothpaste they get to enjoy it and if say I am brushing Poppy's teeth the other two crowd in and try and stick their tongue in as well .Logic either the gel or the chews seems to be their favourite but all their heads go down when I reach for the Petzlife spray with Rosie trying to crawl under the bed and hide but we get there in the end.:)

Back