• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toy Stealing

SuzRN

Hi have noted that the puppy Vivian(dominant personality) needs and steals anything and everything Chelsea is playing with, chewing on, whatever. Any thoughts on how to reduce this habit? She is only 12 weeks but I feel sorry for Chelsea who most of the time just lets her have the toy/bone :eek:. I user a verbal distraction when she is too agressive, but not too effective with the toy stealing. Suggestions?? Thanks Suzanne

My Ruby girl Zoey does the exact same thing to Jato. No matter what he has to play with or chew, she wants it! I have even bought them 2 of the exact same toy to see what would happen, and she STILL snatches it away from him. He is very easy going, and just gives in- therefore I don't know if it will ever stop. :( I feel bad, but I don't know what to do either.

Older dogs are often tolerant of puppies behaving badly, but when the younger dog gets older will tell them gently (or more firmly if they don't get the message!) that such behaviour is no longer acceptable. I know it seems unfair, but I'm all for leaving the dogs to sort out their own relationship (while keeping a sharp eye on them in case things turn nasty). My 7-year-old Oliver, having been an only dog for 6 years, is having to settle down with a 20-month newcomer; they have occasional confrontations, but I find I can defuse these by giving both a little stroke (what a good thing we have two hands!), removing completely whatever has been stolen and speaking calmly - you might find that this will work with your two - remove the stolen toy and put it out of sight of both of them and give Vivian her own toy to play with, or a rawhide bone to chew or whatever she particularly enjoys, so that her attention is diverted from winding up your older dog. Then when she's diverted and busy with her toy/chew, give your older dog a little extra fuss so that she doesn't feel left out. You're not rewarding the puppy's bad behaviour - she loses the toy she's stolen - but teaching her that she's welcome to play with her own toys.

Hope that helps!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for the ideas, have tried the toy removal a little, but will work at it more. If I give Chelsea any other toys Vivi comes right after it and soon there is a big stack on the counter. I will say that treats for house breaking is making a big difference.

Our younger pup Charlie does this to Sam, if Sam has a toy Charlie will steal it because he is the boss eventhough he is half the size of Sam and bring the toy into the bed and lie beside the toy and sometimes fall asleep on it. We have tried taking the toy and giving it to Sam but because Charlie is the boss he just gats it back, we tried buying two of the same toy but Charlie just ends up lying on two toys in the bed. Sam will look at Charlie in the bed and cry and bark at him then come over to me and cry at me to get the toy. I know its a bit sad but what can you do, one of them has to be the boss. They get on great and never fight. They love tugging on a toy and mess flighting but as I said Charlie always ends up with the toy ha ha. They will work it out themselves.
PS we were very broke buying toys but I discovered they love socks and gloves cause they can stretch and they have a great pull on them!!! You can hide toys in the socks too and they think its a brand new toy!!!!

Older dogs are often tolerant of puppies behaving badly, but when the younger dog gets older will tell them gently (or more firmly if they don't get the message!) that such behaviour is no longer acceptable. I know it seems unfair, but I'm all for leaving the dogs to sort out their own relationship (while keeping a sharp eye on them in case things turn nasty).

Totally agree. Don't intervene. She is being a normal puppy, and your older dog is being a normal adult in allowing this type of play. Note that it is PLAY, not being dominant or aggressive! It is just a puppy being a puppy. :) She is only 12 weeks old. Your older dog will likely tolerate this with perfect happiness for another month or two. Let them be and let them sort it out when the time comes. Your older dog's behaviour lessons are far more valuable to a puppy than anything humans can do.

I recommend downloading (for free!) this wonderful book by the well known trainer Dr Ian Dunbar:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER You Get Your Puppy.pdf

It will be a great guide for you as your puppy grows up and give proper training guidance and reassure you that this is a *totally normal* way for a puppy to behave and does not require you to remove toys or intervene.

Back