PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses for SM dog

Nicki
21st February 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm having problems with Teddy again - since being neutered he's finally filled out a little {not fat, just the weight he SHOULD be!! he was always too skinny}, and no longer fits the one harness that didn't make him scratch :(

Has anyone tried the SENSE-ible Dog Harness for an affected dog? - I'm guessing it doesn't pull across the chest which should mean it works ok for him, but it would be useful if anyone could share experiences please!

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8&osCsid=9e40c3119400899680bf3569be994af1

*Pauline*
21st February 2009, 11:29 AM
I think it depends if he pulls on the lead or not. It cut into Dylan's underarm as he still pulled on it and I didn't know until I found a scab there. The front bit does have a bit that tightens when if he pulls so maybe not suitable for Teddy. I used to clip Dylan's double ended lead on the back of his step in harness and the front but now I can only attach it to the back.

How much does he weigh? Just thinking of sizes for a harness.

amanda L
21st February 2009, 12:58 PM
I got an upcountry harness, www.upcountryinc.com (http://www.upcountryinc.com), on recommendation from a few people on the board:), and find it great, they are very well made and my little one seems to find it very comfy, and no problems getting on or off.

Claire L
21st February 2009, 12:59 PM
I have a Sense - ible Harness (Two, in fact) that were never used. I don't honestly know what size they are ,probanly small. I would be more than happy to send one to Tedbear if you think he will benefit from it.

Nicki
21st February 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Pauline, I'm sorry this cut into Dylan :eek: I know it's quite complicated to get it sorted so they don't pull in it.

Claire, that is a very kind offer. Could I buy them off you if you're not using them?

Both my boys are dreadful pullers - when they are together. On their own they can walk really nicely, it's just that element of competiton :dogwlk:

Cruz is 9.7kg {21lb}, 11" to the shoulder, he is entire and should probably carry a bit more weight.

Teddy is 13" to the shoulder, he is just on 11kg {24lb} and is dead on the right weight - he is a BIG dog. You can still feel every rib and his breastbone at this weight, and he has a definite waist.

I think they would both be a small - that seems to cover 21 to 33 lb weight range, so I would expect that to be the size you have?

I love the upcountry designs, but I think they will just pull into those harnesses :(

Claire L
21st February 2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone. Pauline, I'm sorry this cut into Dylan :eek: I know it's quite complicated to get it sorted so they don't pull in it.

Claire, that is a very kind offer. Could I buy them off you if you're not using them?

Both my boys are dreadful pullers - when they are together. On their own they can walk really nicely, it's just that element of competiton :dogwlk:

Cruz is 9.7kg {21lb}, 11" to the shoulder, he is entire and should probably carry a bit more weight.

Teddy is 13" to the shoulder, he is just on 11kg {24lb} and is dead on the right weight - he is a BIG dog. You can still feel every rib and his breastbone at this weight, and he has a definite waist.

I think they would both be a small - that seems to cover 21 to 33 lb weight range, so I would expect that to be the size you have?

I love the upcountry designs, but I think they will just pull into those harnesses :(

Nicki, just PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post to you on Monday.

Nicki
21st February 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Claire, you're a star :D

Brian M
21st February 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Nicki

Thanks to dizzy in a previous thread she advised on getting a Ancol Padded Harness which is a step in type and it came today i ordered a medium which is to big for Daisy but fits Poppy so i am going to order twp more in small for daisy and Rosie ,and i think they are fine as especially Daisy is not keen on Puppias and the fleece cross over type that have to go over her head.

leesanlucie
24th February 2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Nicki
My 3 yr old cav Lucie is pretty much the exact same height n weight as ur Teddy.)Lucie is only just over 9 kilos)
I bought the xsmall sens-ible harness and it was def too small....it was at its largest setting and dug into her.She had enough room to breathe but u could see it over her back it being tight.I then ordered the next size up...the small, and it was a much better fit.
Mine use them when walking but Lucie walks at an angle when wearing it...its like her back end is slightly to one side! :confused:The vet checked her incase of it being badly fitting or rubbing(with the instructions) and she checked her legs n hips and found nothing....she isnt a fan of it...same as her coat!
But i do prefer her to wear it just to prevent the pressure on her neck.:razz:

Hope that helps.

TKC
25th February 2009, 08:07 PM
If you like I can send you a few harnesses to try out. Then let us all know the best one for Cavalier so we can get em in.

TKC
25th February 2009, 08:15 PM
There should be no irritation under the arms if a SENSE-ible is fitted correctly. The main reasons for any irritation is as follows:

Not fitted correctly or the wrong size (a size too large which is on it's smallest setting OR a size too small on its largest setting.
Harness getting wet and not being removed and cleaned
Harness being used with a lead that it too short and causing it to lift or pull on the dog
Using the harness with a FLEXI lead.. by the time the dog hits the end of the length of lead the build up of speed will increase the pull on the harness and cause rubbing

Hope that helps!

Karlin
25th February 2009, 10:32 PM
Just catching up on this. A Sense-ible harness doesn;t have anything that tightens at the front, Pauline -- I think you are thinking of the other brand, which does (Blanking on the name, easy- something). But either, fit properly, still shouldn't cut their arms (def too small or too large as Tara says) or pinch at the front (then the harness is too tight). They are very easy to fit -- just follow the directions that should come with them or visit the website or have a trainer who uses them fit it properly (tara and Lisa always do this at their centre when people buy them there).

It is common for some dogs to start to walk at a slight angle -- that's just the dog trying to find what little resistance it can to pull against! Jaspar does that sometimes.

I walk both my SM dogs on sense-ible harnesses worn loosely and comfortably and they work really well. It is going to depend on the given dog though and where it is sensitive. All the dogs wear them except Lucy as she doesn't pull.

Nicki
26th February 2009, 04:13 PM
Thank you everyone - Claire is very kindly sending me hers and I'll let you know how we get on :D

Claire wouldn't let me pay her for them, so I'm going to send a donation to Karlin for Irish Cavalier Rescue instead :thmbsup:

Tania
26th February 2009, 07:10 PM
Hi

I found some safe sensible fleece lined harnesses, they are lovely
and soft. www.dog-games.co.uk (http://www.dog-games.co.uk) I can't remember how much they
are but I don't think they were very expensive. Molly has been
wearing hers since she was diagnosed and it seems to work well.

hwowen
26th February 2009, 08:18 PM
Have been looking at harnesses today and am about as confused as a man trying to buy underwear for a woman :badgrin:
When we get our rescue cavalier :xfngr: how do I ensure I get the right one?
They all look so confusing, and some look positively uncomfortable. Ideally, I would like one that could be left on for a reasonable time (if that's advisable) so that every outing didn't involve 'getting dressed!'
Helen

linderbelle
26th February 2009, 09:18 PM
I ordered 3 of the upcountry ones for my babies and got them. This may seem like a dumb question but can you leave both the collar and harness on all the time? The reason for the collar is the id tags etc. and leaving the harness on just easier I guess. Remember I got one with SM also. Love the designs of these upcountry ones--my 3 are quite nautical looking--lol.

Nicki
26th February 2009, 10:07 PM
I don't put my SM dog in a collar at all - he can't wear one. Is there any reason why you can't put ID tags on the harnesses? - that's what we do when they go out.

Tania, the fleece lined harnesses on Dog games look wonderful - they also do a special design which is guaranteed to fit every dog, as you buy the pieces you need in different sizes.

I think though that "pullers" would just pull into that harness - also it's not terribly practical for dogs who go into the water, mud, in and out of gorse hedges etc...hmmm I have typically muddy Cavaliers!

Might also be a bit warm for the summer months?

Helen, maybe take up Tara's kind offer? Then you can try a few different things...

Most Cavaliers seem to prefer things they can step into or you can put around them, to things you pull over their head {in my experience anyway}.

ilsamom
26th February 2009, 10:22 PM
I thought the same thing! I hate to put heavy tags on her sensitive little neck. She didn't like the tags dangling from her harness either so I wrote her info inside her puppia. Now we just bought a beautiful leather model with leather flowers. (I was sick of the puppias, they got so dirty and she couldn't put it over a sweater. ) I am not sure how how write it there as it is black leather. Was thinking of a silver marker.

I think the best (or only) way to buy a harness is to take the dog to the store and walk them in it. Our local store let us take them outside a bit. It only takes one second to see that she won't move. Sometimes she doesn't even make it to the door. The most comfy looking ones may make the dog recoil. I let her choose herself what she can get on and off and walk in.

Jen and Ilsa

Brian M
27th February 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi

I bought Daisy one of the fleece soft harness that tania mentioned and she has had it on in preference to any of her puppias but she really didn't like putting it on or off as you still have to put it over her head which she strongly dislikes.And after reading a previous post from a member I have swopped them all over into the Ancol Padded Harness ,size 4-6 for Poppy who is a larger size Cav and weighs 13 kilo and size 3-4 and adjusted for Daisy and Rosie who are breed standard size and weigh 7.8 kilo ,i have also reordered more name tags to go on their harness ,and out of all the different varieties of harness they have the Ancol Padded step in I think is by far the best .:)

TKC
2nd March 2009, 10:58 PM
If anyone ever wants to try any harnesses just email me tara@dogtrainingireland.ie

We have the regular step in harnesses
Puppia Soft Collar Harnesses
Puppia Safety Jacket (doesn't go over the head)
SENSE-ible front connection harness

The most popular for Cavaliers is the Puppia Soft Collar Harness.

Hope that helps.

kmatt
3rd March 2009, 10:03 PM
So has anyone tried the new Puppia Soft Harness

http://www.epup.co.kr/newpuppia/product/harness_lead/img/paja-ah615/paja-ah615-black.jpg

My friends Cavie Abbie, she's a darling Tri who is 7, was scanned yesterday and got the results today. They were very depressing, Abbie's had all the air scratching and fits, but the medications seem to be helping.

What I was wondering is if anyone has used this harness. I have a puppia, not this one, but I saw it and noticed you don't have to manipulate them very much to get their paws into it because it buckles at four joints.

thoughts?

*Pauline*
3rd March 2009, 10:24 PM
It looks like that would touch the neck. I find a step in harness very simple to use, just one clip and well away from Dylan's neck. I got mine in the UK but it looks like this:

http://www.dogsupplies.com/store/mcart.php?ID=800

Love my Cavaliers
3rd March 2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with Pauline - I think I would hate having to do 4 buckles every time. I have an Up-country step in harness for Riley, my SM dog - it is similar to the one shown in Pauline's link. Several people do like the Puppia vests though. I've never tried one

jasperpaw
4th March 2009, 07:35 AM
Pauline if you don`t mind me asking where in the UK did you get Dylan`s harness from, I use a harness for Jasper because he pulls, this one looks really good because it is step in, the one I have is OK, but when I take it off Jasper hates it coming over his head.

Pam - mum to Jasper.