PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 Yo male~RSPCA Liverpool

Davy
23rd February 2009, 02:29 PM
Columbo (http://www.rspcaliverpoolbranch.co.uk/content/animalDetail.aspx)

RSPCA Liverpool (http://www.rspcaliverpoolbranch.co.uk/home.aspx)
(http://www.rspcaliverpoolbranch.co.uk/content/animalDetail.aspx)
not sure if full cavalier
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/dabbie_uk/rescue/IMGP3563200922395946.jpg

COLUMBO JAN 237

Columbo is a male Cavalier aged at around 1-2 years old who is deaf.

Columbo will require an owner who has some experience in owning deaf dogs.

Columbo is a very lively, friendly and playful lad who is great with other dogs and the staff here. He will require regular grooming to prevent his coat from becoming matted.

Columbo is not for the first time dog owner and should be ok to go with children aged 10+ yrs.

hwowen
23rd February 2009, 08:18 PM
Oh what a sweetheart! Do you think experience of teaching deaf humans will count because I have that in spades!!??

Davy
23rd February 2009, 08:39 PM
Well there are a few on here that have experience with deaf dogs and you can read up on the web about training.

http://www.deafdogs.org/

hwowen
23rd February 2009, 08:59 PM
Thankyou for the link Davy. The principles are very similar from what I have read so far (except we don't put leads on children!!) - ensuring you have their attention before signing; starting with highly motivational signs, speaking when you sign & using consistent signs throughout, maintaining physical contact (in this case a lead) in risky areas etc.
Our pupils also have additional educational needs as well as deafness, which makes it doubly challenging!
I can but ask them.

Mycavyangels
23rd February 2009, 09:20 PM
Awwww he is such a cutie:) Hope he finds a new home soon.
My dogs knows most of their tricks with sign signals

hwowen
23rd February 2009, 09:37 PM
If I didn't have work in the morning, I'd be straight up the A55 to see him tomorrow! (He's only an hour away!!!):luv:

Davy
23rd February 2009, 09:54 PM
Well you can always phone to see what they say?

Katelyn
23rd February 2009, 11:04 PM
aw..he looks like he deserves a good, caring home..:luv:

hwowen
23rd February 2009, 11:17 PM
I'll ring tomorrow. I wonder where he's been up until now?? Who wouldn't want HIM?:dogwlk:

Davy
23rd February 2009, 11:47 PM
Good Luck :):xfngr:

susie1983
24th February 2009, 09:34 AM
What a sweetie but alas my children are too young. Hope he finds a lovely new home

xx

hwowen
24th February 2009, 08:37 PM
Have phoned today and arranged a visit. Fingers crossed - will keep you posted!:xfngr:

Davy
24th February 2009, 09:05 PM
That great news :thmbsup:

:xfngr: for your visit

hwowen
28th February 2009, 08:35 PM
2 100+ mile round trip visits (we couldn't all get the same day off), some form filling and we have reserved him. He's a real live-wire, but doesn't bark outside, or in a confined room with the door closed and us & him inside! He's scruffy, and far from aesthetically perfect ... :badgrin: OH thinks I'm mad :rolleyes:
This chap clearly hasn't walked on a lead (pulls a lot, so needs a harness) or learned ANY commands at all, but I think he's trainable .... if we pass the homecheck, be prepared for LOTS of questions people! :dogwlk:
Have to say, especially if the shelter is far away from where you live, adopting is A LOT tougher than buying!! We all have to meet the dog, they would prefer our 6 VERY rural (practically housecats) to have upto date vacs .... (they are all chipped, insured, wormed & flead in any case but don't meet other cats, so no vacs for ages) and we don't know if our house & garden is good enough yet!
I KNOW they have to be sure they are picking the right home, but so sad when they reckon 1/3 of the dogs through their doors get put down :confused:

Davy
28th February 2009, 09:23 PM
Thats great news :)

Yes he does look a bit of a scruff in the photos but thats more to do with where he came from.

Once he has a good home were they know how to look after him he will be a stunner I'm sure.:thmbsup:

:xfngr: for your home visit

Katelyn
1st March 2009, 10:22 PM
good luck! he's a beautiful dog I cant wait to see him in a loving home

Brian M
1st March 2009, 10:27 PM
Hi hwowen

You are a STAR and you should be very very proud of yourself as its a wonderful thing you are doing in helping this little Cavalier who I now know will have a caring and loving home for his life:flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr:.
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU
Best Wishes

brian

hwowen
2nd March 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks Brian, Katelyn & Davy. Just hope we pass the homecheck. The only other issue is our vaccineless cats (which will cost £200 plus to jab them all if they insist on this!). We are so rural, and our cats so homeloving, it has never been an issue. The only cats they ever encounter are each other. I can only think to agree to do them over a reasonable period of time and send them the proof if they insist on them being vaccinated. I certainly cannot afford that AND the £100 plus adoption fee in the same month. I just hope he can come to us in the meantime.:xfngr: Helen

Davy
2nd March 2009, 07:03 PM
Well Columbo is listed as sold? (hate them using that word :mad:)

So is he yours now Helen?

*Pauline*
2nd March 2009, 07:42 PM
I hope you have him Helen. You sound like you'd be good for him and I assume when you say you are very rural that you have planty of space for a white dog to get all nice and muddy! :thmbsup: I think he'll scrub up nicely. I always wondered what a white Cavalier would look like.

hwowen
2nd March 2009, 08:53 PM
Ooooh! So it does. I hate 'sold' as well - it's not ebay!
I guess that's because we've reserved him pending a homecheck.
Yes we do have PLENTY of fields and mud at our disposal, and I think he's going to be a big fan of dirt, leaves and puddles (have visions of him needing a daily bath!) I have already ordered the dog shampoo, an extending lead, and read Ceasar Millan from cover to cover. Hope I'm not tempting fate. :xfngr:
He does have a couple of brown patches on his back, but his lips and around his eyes are pale pink, so I think we will have to watch the sun (if we get any this year, and if he becomes ours)

Brian M
2nd March 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Helen

Keeping my fingers crossed for you ,it is a wonderful thing you are doing he does look a beauty ,I had two all white cats (down to one now since Tammi went away in Dec ) and they were total sun worshipers they would snooze all day in the sun and i never had any problems with their skin ,but thats not to say your Cavalier beauty wont so its best to keep an eye on him as I am sure you will ,not that we have a lot of sunny days though.:)
Best Wishes
Brian

Davy
2nd March 2009, 09:48 PM
Sounds like he may be coming your way :xfngr:

For training I think you be better off with this site

http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.uk/

than Ceasar Millan

hwowen
8th March 2009, 12:00 AM
Home check passed and all being well, we pick him up tomorrow :D:D:D
Many thanks to Davy for posting his photo in the first place, or we'd never have found him ... and who knows WHAT would have become of him, having been there a month already :eek:
Have harness, lead, extending lead, shampoo, food, treats, crate, bed, carry crate, puppy gate, chew toys .... yep, I think we've got everything - except a new name!!!:D

Davy
8th March 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm so glad :cool:

I was only looking at the site earlier and wondering if you had heard anything.

hwowen
8th March 2009, 12:52 AM
Will post some pics once we've had a bath ;) Will tackle the toothbrushing once we've got to know one another !!

*Pauline*
8th March 2009, 02:06 AM
Congratulations Helen, can't wait to see pictures and I've been trying to think up nice names. The Welsh name "Gwyn" means white which might suit him :)

sarahso
8th March 2009, 02:07 AM
ah well done you on your new addition!

cant wait to see photos!:)

Karlin
8th March 2009, 01:37 PM
Congrats :) -- this is great news!

-- but one BIG BIG plea -- please toss the Cesar Milan :eek: -- absolutely no way should anyone be using corrections and choke chains and his methods with a cavalier (or IMHO any other dog). I'd recommend reading instead some of Ian Dunbar's books (widely available on amazon.co.uk) and checking out his free training advice and videos at www.dogstardaily.com, as well as any of the trainer sites I've pinned at the top of the training section. Milan is very controversial and his training methods are punishment, not rewards based. :( That approach can simply crush a cavalier, a very gentle, biddable, easily motivated breed that should NEVER be jerked about and corrected by collars as many vets and neurologists will advise (due to risk of trachea collapse, disk problems and syringomyelia).

Aileen
8th March 2009, 05:24 PM
Must agree with Karlin about the training
please put loads of photos of him on when you have time
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Brian M
8th March 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi

Congratulations and well done, so pleased for you and your new addition ,you will have a lot of hard work ahead but from your posting I am sure you will more than cope and will have many years of happiness ahead for you all and your new Cav will reward you in tons of love for giving him a happy and secure future.

Big Thank You:)
and pics pls when
you can.:)

merlinsmum
8th March 2009, 09:09 PM
So pleased for you, I'm actually quite choked.... nearly tears here :)

harrysmum
9th March 2009, 01:45 AM
Its lovely to know that Columbo is going to a caring new owner, good luck with your new addition! :)

hwowen
9th March 2009, 01:23 PM
Well - one 2 hr car ride some - some barking but not much considering.
Drink and a 1/2 hr exploratory walk when we got home. Didn't seem to want the pedigree chum on offer, so maybe that needs a re-think...
He was a gentleman with the cats when introduced to them from the outside of their run. They in turn spat, hissed and ran to hide (very rude).
One LONG bath later and he was much happier, cleaner, and has had lots of cuddles. I have has to trim off the yuckier fur, but at least he's less yellow. He was no trouble at all & seemed to understand it was for his own good. Spent a couple of hours in his bed in front of the log burner yesterday evening, only 2ft away from us, but kept checking we were still there!
He's an absolute treasure. He slept like a log all night in a portable kennel in our bedroom (it zips up to keep him in), had another walk over the fields at 6.45am this morning. Seems clean in the house, goes back to his bed when I tell him to, and is learning that not barking gets tasty bits of roast chicken, but barking gets you ignored!!
He DOES bark when anything or anyone leaves the room, but the length of time spent barking is getting shorter, and we have now made tentative nose to nose contact with 2 of the 6 cats.
He is now sleeping in a huge crate in the kitchen (more for his sake than the cats!!) I hope to phase out the crate when everyone gets along. I will post some pictures of him later tonight.

Many thanks for the advice. The book I got doesn't say anything about the nasty collars etc ... more about dogs needing LOTS of exercise and a good pack leader! I will not be using any heavy handed methods with him. He's so eager to please, there's no need, and I think he's probably suffered enough already :(
The main issue with him is the PULLING!! I have him in a strong but soft rogz harness, and am trying to get him to walk with me rather than drag me! (I am only 5' 1") Usually by the end of the walk he gets better, but my butt hurts, my arms hurt, and I now realise how unfit I am! :badgrin:

*Pauline*
9th March 2009, 06:59 PM
Seriously can't wait to see pics! :snap::snap::snap:

I'd give the Pedigree Chum a miss, it's a really poor quality food. Chappie is a good soft food but dry food is better for his teeth. James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin would be the two dry foods I would personally recommend. He might just be too excited to eat tonight, don't worry. :)

So...what time will you be posting those pics? ;)

I've always been facinated with seeing what a white Cavalier looked like. Have you changed his name?

hwowen
9th March 2009, 08:47 PM
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1457

Phew - managed to add one!
Cesar dog food (and stolen cat food) went down better today!
As you can see - we aren't all white! WE have about 4 Blenheim patches. Are they stains around his eyes? I have a feeling they are. I wouldn't recommend the rspca as hairdressers - note the shaved chest and trimmed ears! Still - at least his new mummy loves him :lotsaluv:

shippers
9th March 2009, 08:49 PM
Just caught up with this thread. This little dog looks so sweet and is so lucky to have found a lovely new home. Congratulations to you :rah:. It's a great thing we have kind, caring people out there to rescue these little dogs. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos now. I'll log in later while I'm doing my night shift at work. Have to agree with pauline regarding the food. A high quality food such as James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin will work wonders on him and his coat.

hwowen
9th March 2009, 08:51 PM
Can only post one pic http://board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1456at a time! lol

shippers
9th March 2009, 08:51 PM
He looks so much more loved now he's home with you!! He's such a sweet little boy. Have you thought of a name yet?

hwowen
9th March 2009, 08:56 PM
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1458

Come back kitty! They're thinking of names for me .. Cookie? Jasper? Jaffa? What do YOU think?

hannahpanda
9th March 2009, 09:15 PM
aww hes gorgeous!
I like Jaffa and Jasper!

Aileen
9th March 2009, 09:45 PM
:luv:I like Cookie
--Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Davy
9th March 2009, 09:52 PM
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1457

Phew - managed to add one!
Cesar dog food (and stolen cat food) went down better today!
As you can see - we aren't all white! WE have about 4 Blenheim patches. Are they stains around his eyes? I have a feeling they are. I wouldn't recommend the rspca as hairdressers - note the shaved chest and trimmed ears! Still - at least his new mummy loves him :lotsaluv:

Ahh he looks so much better than his first photo.

Don't worry the hair will grow back soon enough then your have the fun of grooming.;)

Not sure if they are stains around the eyes, the only other dogs of hand I know with these eyes and colour markings are white boxers. Did a search for some photos and came up with this http://www.thewhitestuff.org/Whitestuffbabies/kieriboxermadsgorgeouswhitegirlkieri.html (http://www.thewhitestuff.org/Whitestuffbabies/kieriboxermadsgorgeouswhitegirlkieri.html)

As you can see the boxer has shorter hair but the affect still looks the same.

Jasperxxgabby
9th March 2009, 09:53 PM
Ahh bless him, he is adorable :lotsaluv:. I can't stop smiling knowing he's got a lovely home with you and your family :D. Congratulations :rah:.

Ps for some reason I think Cookie suits him, but then again I think Jasper would be a good choice also ;).

Brian M
9th March 2009, 10:10 PM
Hi again

He looks to me like a beautiful little Snowball ,he is a unique and very pretty CKC Spaniel.:)

Ejay
9th March 2009, 10:16 PM
He's just adorable, he definately looks so much happier in his new home!

Eira means snow in Welsh (said ayra) - it is generally used for females, but i don;t think it would matter if a boy used it!

Katelyn
9th March 2009, 11:01 PM
B`an is a nice name! (pronounced Bawn) it means white in Irish!

hwowen
11th March 2009, 12:03 AM
Think we're going with 'Jasper' (but sometimes 'Baby dog' when no-one's listening!) Thanks for all your suggestions :thmbsup:

tupup
20th March 2009, 09:54 PM
:Dim just catching up on this thread & im sooo pleased for you! congratulations he is just gorgeous,i love his blen patches! he looks better in each pic. i look forward to your updates, i bet he will thrive from now on having love& fun in your home!
p.s thank u for the reply to p.m, i see he is still on here so im just going to put a quick note on there x