• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone know....

jgponder

how soon I can give a bath to a dog that has just been spayed? I picked up a rescue last night that has been in a mill and she smells just like urine. I was unsure just how long I should keep her dry. She was operated on 2 days ago.

Jane

My best guess would be not to bath her until her stitches are out, and the wound fully healed. So you'd probably be looking at a minimum of 7 - 10 days. Your vet should be able to advise you more acurately though.

Usually not for a while, till the wound heals. Id ring your vet. Surprised she wasn't bathed before the surgery though. On the other hand urine smells can be hard to get rid of if the dog has had to live with urine stains, unwashed, for ages, as is often the case with mill dogs. :(

YOu might be able to spot bath her in the sink with a squirt nozzle, keeping her stitches dry. When mine have been spayed the incision had to be closed and stitches out before I could get them wet. Seems like that was a bit over a week. You might freshen her up with one of those deodorant sprays.

I bet you could wet a wash cloth with mild shampoo and just do a wipe down on her feet and coat, except her belly. I know vinegar takes the smell out of everything, so maybe a vinegar and water mix for her feet, and feathering. Rinse with a clean wash cloth. Not too wet, just enough to dampen the hair. My girl was spayed last month, and my vet said no bath until sutures were gone and incision was closed and looked nice and pink. Good luck! Bless you for rescuing her!(y)

Back