PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who didn't know what Bully sticks were made from?

LucyDog
26th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Last night I was online searching for a good price on Bully sticks. The dogs love them and they are so gosh darn expensive. As I was searching I got to thinking, why in the world are these things so expensive? What are they made of? Well, I sure got a surprise when I typed "what are bully sticks made of" into my web browser.

A bully stick, or what it is also called, a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick, is 100% bull penis. Bull penis is the only ingredient of bully sticks.

I feel so naive...I had absolutely NO idea. My husband couldn't resist cracking a joke about the fact that they come in different lengths and sizes. Typical man! (I laughed I won't lie) But, seriously I will never look at a bully stick the same way again. I am an adult and I have given birth to two children who are male...so I am not easily grossed out...however I have to admit that I am a little grossed out that my pups have chewed on these things and then trotted over and licked me and my kids all over the face. They chew them on our bed for gosh sakes.

Anyway, I have certainly lost my innocence so to speak. Am I the only one on the board who didn't know this?

WoodHaven
26th February 2009, 10:24 PM
A bully stick is the ONLY treat my husband has respectfully asked our dogs don't get. Tendons, liver, lung, ears -- all fine, but not one pizzle.

ilsamom
26th February 2009, 10:25 PM
AAAAK she chews them on my bed as well!!!!! I had no idea, I thought it was a tendon! At least lamb lung is honest!

Jen

Chuck
26th February 2009, 10:27 PM
that was good, needed a good laugh!!!! Thank you!

Karlin
26th February 2009, 10:37 PM
Well they are called pizzle sticks in Europe, so blame prudish US marketers! :lol:

ilsamom
26th February 2009, 10:50 PM
I buy them in France and just ask for Bully sticks - they understand in French. I'll have to ask what they are actually called here or the curiosity will kill me!

I'm looking at one now and I can't believe it. I mean the shape - I'd of thought it'd be bigger on a bull!

Jen and Ilsa

hwowen
26th February 2009, 11:12 PM
:badgrin:
Never heard of them til now ... thank God Pets at Home don't appear to sell them, or I might have bought one this afternoon :eek:

linderbelle
26th February 2009, 11:18 PM
omg how I need this laugh. I'm laughing so hard I almost peed my pants--lol.

arasara
26th February 2009, 11:31 PM
LOL You are so funny!! This certianly gave me the best chuckle I've had all day :lol::lol: I was just looking up bully sticks.. In the US, I find these ones to be pretty reasonable :)

www.bestbullysticks.com (http://www.bestbullysticks.com)

Melissa
27th February 2009, 12:04 AM
I buy them in France and just ask for Bully sticks - they understand in French. I'll have to ask what they are actually called here or the curiosity will kill me!

I'm looking at one now and I can't believe it. I mean the shape - I'd of thought it'd be bigger on a bull!

Jen and Ilsa

I think they cut them up cause at the locale Farm and Fleet that have some really long ones.

pinkpuppy
27th February 2009, 01:14 AM
Yes, I am a prude! I don't buy them anymore since another customer told me what they were made of:eek:

*Pauline*
27th February 2009, 01:55 AM
At least lamb lung is honest!

:lol:

gstahmer
27th February 2009, 09:10 PM
I had no idea! :eek:

Makes perfect sense now... but ewwwww.

Gretchen

PamH
1st March 2009, 05:23 PM
I find this very hard to believe. I mean, how many bulls a day lose their penises to supply all of us?
Pam

harleyfarley
1st March 2009, 06:55 PM
I dont know if it was in a different post or another site, someone said i think bully sticks are the same as tripe sticks, i did put them right, di

LucyDog
1st March 2009, 08:35 PM
I find this very hard to believe. I mean, how many bulls a day lose their penises to supply all of us?
Pam

First of all I don't think each bully stick is made out of one penis....lol. I mean I had horses and well trust me you could have made a whole lot of bully sticks out of one horse's penis and bulls are proportionately larger than horses. Keep in mind that they are not going around just killing bulls so they can make bully sticks...(I have this image in my head of these poor penis-less bulls wandering around the hills...lol). But, they are probably slaughtered anyway for other purposes (food, I would guess) and they are just utilizing every part of the animal. It is more "green" I suppose to use all of the animal than to just kill it for food or whatever and then just throw the other unused parts away. I don't know....I am not a vegan or vegetarian and don't have a problem with using animals for food as long as they treated humanely while they are alive and are slaughtered in a way that is the most humane possible for the animal and I prefer the idea that the entire animal is being used than just harvesting the best parts. Anyway, from what I have read it is true though that they are made from the bulls penis...probably also why they are so expensive.

LucyDog
1st March 2009, 08:38 PM
Here is a link that explains how they are made:

http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/

While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 30'' and any length between.

Katelyn
1st March 2009, 09:11 PM
:yuk: haha..hilarious!

hwowen
1st March 2009, 11:01 PM
UUUUUggghhh! Presumably they won't be using that in their marketing campaign. Perhaps M&S could do their own version ... "this is no ordinary bully stick ..." :badgrin:

PamH
2nd March 2009, 02:20 AM
Ooookaay. My husband always commented that they stunk. Everytime I see Maddy chewing one I will have these awful pictures in my head.
Pam

Mindysmom
2nd March 2009, 03:06 AM
Somehow that was more than I needed to know:eek:

Honestly I don't suppose it's any worse than eating any other part of an animal . I can honestly say I haven't seen them around here although I imagine they do sell them. I won't be making a special effort to look either.:rolleyes:

nicola
2nd March 2009, 07:03 PM
Never heard of them til now ... thank God Pets at Home don't appear to sell them, or I might have bought one this afternoon :eek:

You may well be able to get them at Pets At Home. They are called Pizzle sticks in the UK and apparently Lidl sell packs of them and you can get them online at zooplus. Must check at Pets At HOme

Aileen
2nd March 2009, 08:34 PM
pets at home do sell them
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

misty
2nd March 2009, 10:42 PM
We went on a camping weekend with some friends last autumn, and my friend brought some pizzle sticks for all the dogs.

Her 9 y/o son proudly announced that pizzle sticks were in fact bull's willies - it was sooooo funny :).

Margaret C
4th March 2009, 11:13 PM
Here is a link that explains how they are made:

http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/

While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 30'' and any length between.

I have only just caught up with this thread.
Now I knew what they were but I have to say that this really does give more information than I need.

I think we will stick with tripe sticks when my husband is not around, & veal sticks when he is ( not so smelly )

Margaret C

hwowen
4th March 2009, 11:35 PM
Ha ha ... can't believe this thread is still going!! (yes I can).
I shall examine the shelves more thoroughly in future ;)

mlhirsch
9th March 2009, 05:52 PM
I had never heard of a bully stick until I read this website. Wow! I am sheltered. so I went to our neighborhood pet store, and sure enough she tried to sell me one. At that time, I still didn't know what it was. Well, now I do! Phew! Glad i didn't buy one. I think my husband would have not eaten for days if he came home and Polka & Colleen were happily chewing....
megan

drphilzeltzman
12th March 2009, 04:32 AM
Well, even though I'm a vet, I had no clue. So I emailed the Co mentioned above. I will report back to the community when (of?) I hear from them!

drphilzeltzman reporting!
www.drphilzeltzman.com (http://www.drphilzeltzman.com)

hbmama
12th March 2009, 05:28 AM
I shared this information with Claire, and as you can see, she found it mildly interesting......
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/hbmama3/Puppiesincar003.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/hbmama3/Puppiesincar006.jpg

Oh, Yummy. :D

*Pauline*
12th March 2009, 02:17 PM
Dylan wants to play fetch with his :eek: NO WAY!!!!...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3349324824_94c6068c8e_b.jpg

...especially when it's gone all soggy and limp!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3348486881_89a6b3c739_b.jpg

Sandrac
12th March 2009, 02:35 PM
This whole thread is :jump:

Just love the pictures of Claire and Dylan.

Cinders loves her pizzle sticks, but Minnie is not so keen!

MadPip
12th March 2009, 03:07 PM
This whole thread is :jump:

Just love the pictures of Claire and Dylan.

:xctly: :mexwav:

(I've never noticed the Mexican wave before.)

drphilzeltzman
13th March 2009, 03:18 AM
OK, Dr Zeltzman reporting, as promised

This is what the company (mentionned above) replied to my naive question:

"A bully stick is made from the private of the bull."

I never doubted anybody here, but it is strange that Wikipedia claims it's made out of "tendon." So I wanted to see if there might be different sources.

Not at that company.

Oh, and in case you're not sure what a bull is ("A bully stick is made from the private of the bull‏"), they then kindly explain that a bull is a male cow!!!

drphilzeltzman

*Pauline*
13th March 2009, 09:02 AM
Oh, and in case you're not sure what a bull is ("A bully stick is made from the private of the bull‏"), they then kindly explain that a bull is a male cow!!!

Well...ask a silly question...:rolleyes: :lol:

barrca
16th March 2009, 06:01 AM
LOL this thread made my day. Everyone needs a good laugh now and again.
Thanks for that.

I knew what a bully stick was, and on rare occasions I will give them to mine, but I cant stand the smell or they would get them more often.

My pups favorite are flossies but due to Austin's lack of teeth they seldom get those either =(

Margaret C
16th March 2009, 05:31 PM
OK, Dr Zeltzman reporting, as promised

drphilzeltzman

Well, you live and learn!

Margaret C

LucyDog
19th March 2009, 08:42 PM
Well, even though I'm a vet, I had no clue. So I emailed the Co mentioned above. I will report back to the community when (of?) I hear from them!

drphilzeltzman reporting!

The vet didn't know either...now I don't feel so naive...:jmp2:

I can't believe I started this discussion....too funny.