• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Am I the only one who didn't know what Bully sticks were made from?

LucyDog

Last night I was online searching for a good price on Bully sticks. The dogs love them and they are so gosh darn expensive. As I was searching I got to thinking, why in the world are these things so expensive? What are they made of? Well, I sure got a surprise when I typed "what are bully sticks made of" into my web browser.

A bully stick, or what it is also called, a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick, is 100% bull penis. Bull penis is the only ingredient of bully sticks.

I feel so naive...I had absolutely NO idea. My husband couldn't resist cracking a joke about the fact that they come in different lengths and sizes. Typical man! (I laughed I won't lie) But, seriously I will never look at a bully stick the same way again. I am an adult and I have given birth to two children who are male...so I am not easily grossed out...however I have to admit that I am a little grossed out that my pups have chewed on these things and then trotted over and licked me and my kids all over the face. They chew them on our bed for gosh sakes.

Anyway, I have certainly lost my innocence so to speak. Am I the only one on the board who didn't know this?

A bully stick is the ONLY treat my husband has respectfully asked our dogs don't get. Tendons, liver, lung, ears -- all fine, but not one pizzle.

AAAAK she chews them on my bed as well!!!!! I had no idea, I thought it was a tendon! At least lamb lung is honest!

Jen

Well they are called pizzle sticks in Europe, so blame prudish US marketers! :lol:

I buy them in France and just ask for Bully sticks - they understand in French. I'll have to ask what they are actually called here or the curiosity will kill me!

I'm looking at one now and I can't believe it. I mean the shape - I'd of thought it'd be bigger on a bull!

Jen and Ilsa

:badgrin:
Never heard of them til now ... thank God Pets at Home don't appear to sell them, or I might have bought one this afternoon :eek:

LOL You are so funny!! This certianly gave me the best chuckle I've had all day :lol::lol: I was just looking up bully sticks.. In the US, I find these ones to be pretty reasonable :)

www.bestbullysticks.com

Last edited:
I buy them in France and just ask for Bully sticks - they understand in French. I'll have to ask what they are actually called here or the curiosity will kill me!

I'm looking at one now and I can't believe it. I mean the shape - I'd of thought it'd be bigger on a bull!

Jen and Ilsa

I think they cut them up cause at the locale Farm and Fleet that have some really long ones.

I find this very hard to believe. I mean, how many bulls a day lose their penises to supply all of us?
Pam

I dont know if it was in a different post or another site, someone said i think bully sticks are the same as tripe sticks, i did put them right, di

I find this very hard to believe. I mean, how many bulls a day lose their penises to supply all of us?
Pam

First of all I don't think each bully stick is made out of one penis....lol. I mean I had horses and well trust me you could have made a whole lot of bully sticks out of one horse's penis and bulls are proportionately larger than horses. Keep in mind that they are not going around just killing bulls so they can make bully sticks...(I have this image in my head of these poor penis-less bulls wandering around the hills...lol). But, they are probably slaughtered anyway for other purposes (food, I would guess) and they are just utilizing every part of the animal. It is more "green" I suppose to use all of the animal than to just kill it for food or whatever and then just throw the other unused parts away. I don't know....I am not a vegan or vegetarian and don't have a problem with using animals for food as long as they treated humanely while they are alive and are slaughtered in a way that is the most humane possible for the animal and I prefer the idea that the entire animal is being used than just harvesting the best parts. Anyway, from what I have read it is true though that they are made from the bulls penis...probably also why they are so expensive.

Last edited:
Here is a link that explains how they are made:

http://www.bullysticks4dogs.com/

While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 30'' and any length between.

UUUUUggghhh! Presumably they won't be using that in their marketing campaign. Perhaps M&S could do their own version ... "this is no ordinary bully stick ..." :badgrin:

Ooookaay. My husband always commented that they stunk. Everytime I see Maddy chewing one I will have these awful pictures in my head.
Pam

Back