• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jumped her Pen

SuzRN

Hi Vivi has to spend time in a expen 24 in tall when I am out, have a dog walker come in around 4-5 hrs for exercise and potty. Last night when Chelsea and I came back from agility she jumped to the top of the pen, looked like she could get over:eek: The dog walker said today when she came in Vivi started the normal barking then she saw her run toward her (not sure if jumped or climb)

13 weeks old.:eek:

Tonight I cam home to a quiet house and a puppy runnig towards me, pen empty. Tomorrow am going to swap pens with my walker about 30 or so taller pen, and she will spend the day in the bath with her litter box and puppy pad. Will see what works or will I have to put a lid on the pen.

It sounds like you have a jumper! :)

Just as a caution, be sure she is not wearing a collar when you are out -- if she is a climber and jumper she could have a sad accident if she is in a collar during the daytime as she could catch it. You can get a breakaway collar to be safe but also allow her to wear her tags for safety.

I think you will need at least a 36 and maybe a 48" pen.

Here's another thing you can consider:

http://www.chew-on-this.com/site/1266740/product/gc92424

Not cheap, but they make VERY strong fabric ex-pens. I got one for LUcky and Sparky. Unlike a tradition ex-pen, they can't put their feet on the wires and climb it like a ladder. You might find her less able to jump this.

Just something for you to consider. I ordered mine online. I think I probably went to a shopping comparison site to find the best price. :)

I had originally thought about a play pen type like the one posted. For now have swaped pens with my dog walker. About 30-32 in high, will see if that slows her down. Karlin thanks for the reminder about her colar, she is wearing a regular buckle one now I have a quick release I have been holding on to and will switch her to it today. Will keep u updated. Suzanne

Tomorrow am going to swap pens with my walker about 30 or so taller pen, and she will spend the day in the bath with her litter box and puppy pad. Will see what works or will I have to put a lid on the pen.

Sorry but do not agree with this at all. A dog need companionship.

Nanette

What I ment was the bath was the only safe place for her while I was out working, with someone coming to visit every few hours. This was temporary till I could get the taller pen set up back in the dining room with Chelsea and the cats. I definatly agree that they need companionship and this is the best I can do while working.
Now my neighbers have practically abandoned their dog in the yard with the house up for sale and moving out(so despirate attemted to climb the fence while I was out with my girls inthe early morning). Today I had planned to call the animal services to see what is the minimum requirement when they showed up and the dog seems to be gone with them. Vivi has made great strides with potty training, and just needs to get a little bigger to get the outer dog door open.

Bandit was jumping his baby gate until I changed to this type:

http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/G15/Center_Gateway_by_KidCo.html

The vertical bars keep him from being able to get traction with his back feet. I use one on the stairs and an extra wide one that seperates the kitchen from the rest of the house. They both have walk thru gates so I don't have to step over. (I broke ribs falling while stepping over a baby gate this past summer!)

Here are the breakaway collars I recommend:

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

thanks for all the ideas, for now have set up a taller pen and wrapped the favorite side to jump on in a sheet to make it slick. 2 days of success so far. May still go for the 'general pen' made of cloth as I do not have a place to put up gates except the laundry or bath. The break away collar i have is working well too. I really enjoy this site and all the help and ideas posted, check in every day. Thank you all so much.:)

Why don't you just use a large crate for your puppy? Lucy climbed out of the x-pen the first week I had her. So, I bought a dog crate for a 90lb dog and made that her temporary home. She still stays in her crate while I am out running errands and loves it. Her bed and her litter box fit in there and even as an adult she still has room to move around. I do use the x-pen for Charlie Brown but he doesn't seem to be a climber.

Since using the bigger pen we are doing ok. already have 4 crates, the largest is about 22 in tall. I am feeling confident that we will make it till she is house trained.(or I may just be having some wishful thinking) Can already make it out of one dog door, just a little small to make it out of the door dogs are supposed to be 30 lbs to use. Chelsea has already cracked/destroyed that door twice. Keeping fingers crossed:xfngr:

Back