PDA

View Full Version : Leo's MRI.........he's clear!!!!!

meljoy
3rd March 2009, 03:04 PM
The vet just called they MRI'd Leo this morning and did not find any syrinx!!!!

I am in tears.....the relief is unbelievable. The neurologist has no explanation for his screaming fit 2 weeks ago and can only guess he trod on something or pulled a muscle. The only thing they found was debrit in his right ear. I think he said PSOM?? That would account for his scratching although the vet said he has hardly scratched at all this last week.

Im picking him up at 4pm, they're going to show me the MRI then and go through it with me as I cant believe it.

I'll post more when Ive spoken to them.

Mel :jump:

Love my Cavaliers
3rd March 2009, 03:23 PM
Oh that's the best morning news to get! Congratulations! I have no experience with PSOM, but I know others on the board will give you lots of good advice.

Ciren
3rd March 2009, 03:28 PM
WOHO!!! Doggy treats all round!!

sins
3rd March 2009, 03:38 PM
I'm thrilled to bits for you,this is fantastic news.
After all the anguish you've been through this is wonderful.
Sins

Margaret C
3rd March 2009, 04:23 PM
Wonderful news.
I am so pleased for you and your family.

Margaret C

jld
3rd March 2009, 04:29 PM
HOORAY !!!!!! It is soooooooo wonderful to hear some GOOD news on this site. I am so very happy for you. Judy and Dixie:rah::rah::rah::rah:

*Pauline*
3rd March 2009, 04:47 PM
I am so happy for you. I think that lovely boy deserves a few new toys this week :jump::jump::jump::jump: Let us know what the neurologist says when you get over the shock. :hug:

jasperpaw
3rd March 2009, 04:59 PM
So pleased for you and your family, I bet you can`t wait to get him home now.

Brian M
3rd March 2009, 05:24 PM
Hi

HOORAY:jump:

What great News.:)

MadPip
3rd March 2009, 05:38 PM
What great news! :rah::rah::rah::rah::rah::rah:

Nicki
3rd March 2009, 05:40 PM
Fantastic news, that's great - really relieved for you especially after such a long haul :(

ppotterfield
3rd March 2009, 05:47 PM
Am so glad the MRI was negative for Syringomyelia. That is the best news! Please do ask the Vets about PSOM, however.

PSOM (Primary Secretory Otitis Media) is a disease of the middle ear and can only be diagnosed by MRI or CT Scan. Most often when a dog has it the middle ears need to be flushed and that has to be done under anesthetic. If you put "PSOM" in the search criteria, you will come up with several threads about it.

Our Buddy has been diagnosed with PSOM and had his ears flushed once, about 18 months ago. Before he had the surgery he had one episode of crying in pain which lasted about five to ten seconds and also had other episodes of single "yelps." They almost disappeared altogether but have started again. I am concerned that his middle ears may have filled up again, or that he has SM, and am discussing with his Vet at Ohio State where we go from here.

Again, so happy about the SM but check out the PSOM.

Phyllis

Nicki
3rd March 2009, 05:54 PM
More info about PSOM here

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/psom/psom.html

from Karlin's Cavalier SM infosite http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

ESSENTIAL reading for all Cavalier owners...

harleyfarley
3rd March 2009, 06:22 PM
hmmm, great news about leo, whats the treatment for psom then, Harley sometimes shakes his head, some days half a doz times others day not at all.

meljoy
3rd March 2009, 07:17 PM
HI
I GOT MY BOY HOME!!!!!

Im just back from Cambridge after seeing the neurologist. Im still in shock and cant believe how lucky I am to receive this news.
They went through the MRI with me showing me the scan and explaining it all. The only thing it did show was a "Chiari like malformation" of his skull but they have reasurred me that wouldnt necessarily cause him pain but it was something to watch and be aware of.

I have to keep a diary of anything I think he does is unusual, ie excess scratching and anymore episodes of pain. He hasnt scratched at all whilst with them apparently!!
They talked about the PSOM, which I will read up on. He said it involves a small op to correct and is successful, I need to educate myself on this now.

So there you have it. The longest diagnosis to be told all is ok. How lucky am I!
Thank you for all the support...its been wonderful. Pauline thanks for being the voice of reason when I was losing it. I cant wait to meet you and Dylan at some point.

Mel:jump:

Ruth M
3rd March 2009, 07:18 PM
I've had butterflies waiting for your news! I am so thrilled for you and Leo. :lotsaluv:

Phoebe
3rd March 2009, 07:28 PM
That is wonderful news, I'm so pleased for you, your relief must be overwhelming:p

HollyDolly
3rd March 2009, 07:35 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:mexwav:

Nanette

tilly
3rd March 2009, 07:39 PM
That is wonderful news to hear ... :thmbsup:

Sam

Jasperxxgabby
3rd March 2009, 07:41 PM
I've been keeping up to date with Leo's story and I am truly pleased that he is clear of SM :rah:. I hope you really spoil yourself - a nice meal, shopping spree etc - after all the worry :flwr::flwr::flwr: , but of course the best thing is Leo is home with you now :)

pippa
3rd March 2009, 08:04 PM
Oh I am so pleased..great news....treats are due, I think, and that includes you!

Nicki
3rd March 2009, 08:22 PM
hmmm, great news about leo, whats the treatment for psom then, Harley sometimes shakes his head, some days half a doz times others day not at all.

Some dogs have been prescribed the antibiotic Trimedoxine. Geoff Skerritt has been using this very successfully for PSOM, the dogs have a 3 week course.

There is also a surgery, but sometimes this has to be repeated a few times.

Claire L
3rd March 2009, 10:26 PM
:D :D:D Great news Mel :rah: Hope you can get the PSOM sorted now.

linderbelle
3rd March 2009, 11:42 PM
I'm happy for you Mel. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Glad to hear somebody had good luck.

brotymo
4th March 2009, 06:56 PM
super news! I know you must be so relieved!

meljoy
4th March 2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone.
Leo is still a little dazed today, from the anesthetic. Not his usual boisterous self but is lapping up the love and cuddles he's receiving.
We had the most lovely cuddle this morning with him on my lap snoring away. It was the loveliest snore ive ever heard!!

We're so glad to have him home. He's being spoilt rotten.

Mel:rah:

diddy
5th March 2009, 12:21 AM
Thats great news. Back home and snoozing happily on your lap! Time for treats all round:)

Karlin
5th March 2009, 12:33 PM
That's great news. :)

On what caused some of what you were seeing -- Did they say whether there was CHiari like malformation, degree of hind brain compression, dilated ventricles etc? The malformation alone has caused serious symptoms for some dogs and is generally treated with the same pain relief drugs. Also PSOM can cause severe symptoms for some dogs including severe pain -- if you continue to see possible symptoms, it would be wise perhaps to see someone who knows more about this condition and treatments (this involves draining the mucus out of the ear but often has to be repeated several times, under general anaesthesia).

I have a whole section on PSOM here with links to further information: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/psom/psom.html

I would recommend paying for the article linked there, and reading it and giving a copy to your vet and neurologist to see what might be done next or if anything should be followed through. If the pain was due to this and not a muscle problem then it will likely be repeated and you will have a starting point.

There's also a range of PSOM info at www.cavalierhealth.org :thmbsup:

meljoy
5th March 2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Karlin,
I dont intend to let this lie. I want to know what caused Leo's symptoms and what can be done to prevent it happening again. They said they doubted the malformation was the cause of the screaming fit. They seemed more focused on the ear problems.
I will read as much as I can so Im in a position to discuss my concerns when I take him for his check up next week.

mel