• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bathing and Winter

islewriter

When your lovely Cavaliers get dirty (daily in the undercarriage) - how do you clean them? and also to prevent cots/mats etc.

Given the winter and cold conditions - dirt is a daily event and especially with our frequency for rain. I was concerned not to bathe Kirra often - in case she catches a chill.

Any tips - would be greatly appreciated.

Two methods really - the first is a dog jumper from Equafleece. Because it is a jumper the only bits that get dirty are the feet and legs - and the jumper of course which is easily washable. :D

I "dunk" my two in the kitchen sink, using just plain warm water up to a depth approximately half-way up their legs. If they haven't had their jumpers on then I rinse their underneath at the same time. This is followed by a towel dry, which they enjoy, and then letting them finish drying naturally. When dry, they get combed through.

I think because I just use plain water it doesn't dry their skin out too much.(y) Maddie gets more proper baths than Pippin though because she likes to roll in noxious stuff.:yuk::yuk:

I stick Dylan in the bath and shower and shampoo paws and tummy, dry with a towel in the bath then wrap up like a baby in a fresh towel and cuddle for as long as he will let me!! A plastic apron helps or I get soaked too. We both love bath time.

You could try drying them with the hair dryer. We do this with our two after their bath, we leave them in the bath and dry them this way only because Sam does not like the hair dryer and he will run off if he can ha ha. Charlie loves it and will sit on your lap when you dry him.

Bandit and Lizzie get bathed weekly regardless of weather (I just keep them warm and don't let them outside until they are dry, but I don't blowdry their coat fully to prevent drying it or their skin out. I just dry them about 60% of the way on a mild temp. setting). Bandit actually gets his stomach and legs bathed daily, sometimes twice a day because he pees all over them and it stinks! I use Isle of Dogs no. 10 shampoo which is safe to use daily as it has essential oils (cold pressed evening primrose oil) and I've never had it dry their skin out or make them itchy or flaky. Other shampoos I've used left them itchy and flaky.

I use Isle of Dogs no. 10 shampoo which is safe to use daily as it has essential oils (cold pressed evening primrose oil) and I've never had it dry their skin out or make them itchy or flaky. Other shampoos I've used left them itchy and flaky.

I've found with Maddie - especially in summer when she's scratching due to pollen allergies - that the only shampoo she can tolerate is Johnson's baby shampoo. So I use this every time now on both of them. It leaves their coat so soft and silky, doesn't smell too strongly, I don't need to condition them, and it is a lot cheaper than some of the dog shampoos. :)

I've found with Maddie - especially in summer when she's scratching due to pollen allergies - that the only shampoo she can tolerate is Johnson's baby shampoo. So I use this every time now on both of them. It leaves their coat so soft and silky, doesn't smell too strongly, I don't need to condition them, and it is a lot cheaper than some of the dog shampoos. :)

I use baby shampoo on mine's faces to protect their eyes from the burning of soap. I did find when I used it all over that their coat was duller and they got flaky skin. Could be that the humidity here is lower and that is a factor, though. I have a dozen nearly full bottles of shampoo sitting around that I've used a few times and didn't like the results, so I will probably stick with this.

I almost hate to admit it, but I decided earlier this week to try the number 10 shampoo on my own hair for kicks. icon_whistlingMy hair is coarse and dry (naturally curly) and I use color on it (I am VERY prematurely gray) so a good conditioning shampoo is critical. Well, I must say, it worked AWESOME! I might just try it again from time to time when my hair is needing some good conditioning. :D

Thanks everyone :)

I really do appreciate all your wonderful advice and tips as does Kirra - as she likes to be a delightful Irish Princess - well at least outdoors anyways

Alas Kirra is not too keen on a hairdryer and escaped under my desk - and whilst I can negotiate down under the desk - coming out and back up again - is not an easy task - so Kirra wins..

She loves her nice warm and cozy towel - and sits waiting for her paws and undercarriage to be dried - albeit still dirty - those council workers should clean the pavements & roads more often :(

So I shall try out your wonderful advice & tips - and once again thanks all for taking the time to respond my enquiry.

We do love our CKCS -

Back