PDA

View Full Version : Nomad temporary foster with docked tail!

chloe92us
5th March 2009, 06:41 PM
So I picked up a rescue reject last night. She had been adopted out to a woman about a month ago and was returned to us. She is the first Cavalier I've ever seen with a docked tail, and let me tell you, it is a shock to see at first!

Shivers
6th March 2009, 04:02 PM
I couldnt imagine a Cav with a docked tail. IMO their tail is one of their nicest features. Fingers crossed she gets a new permanent home soon

*Pauline*
6th March 2009, 06:09 PM
How's she settling in Trisha?

chloe92us
7th March 2009, 02:13 AM
Pauline, unfortunately this particular dog has been returned *twice* to the Cavalier rescue chapter where I volunteer. Once after 1 1/2 Years, and this last time after only a month.

So, I only had her for a few days until she could be moved to our coordinator who will be keeping her for a couple months to properly assess her temperament. Supposedly there have been a couple food/ toy aggression issues, OCD barking @ squirrels, and major pulling on the leash. Personally, I did not see anything too crazy while she was with me, but I'm sure the true colors come out after time. And actually, those are some of the same things that one of mine does, so maybe I think it's normal behavior! But nothing that could not be corrected with time IMHO.

I feel sorry for her honestly and it makes me frustrated because this last woman who returned her never gave her a chance. Poor thing, she's a real sweet dog too. :luv:

WoodHaven
7th March 2009, 02:55 AM
So I picked up a rescue reject last night. She had been adopted out to a woman about a month ago and was returned to us. She is the first Cavalier I've ever seen with a docked tail, and let me tell you, it is a shock to see at first!

If she has a truly docked tail-- short, it was probably injured and amputated, or a birth defect. Cavaliers that do have docked tails only have a bit taken off-- no more than a third if I remember the wording (It used to be in the English regs, but now it isn't allowed anyway). Here it is in the ACKCSC regs

Tail - Well set on, carried happily but never much above the level of the back, and in constant characteristic motion when the dog is in action. Docking is optional. If docked, no more than one third to be removed.

harleyfarley
7th March 2009, 02:08 PM
I agree with the lead pulling and squirrels, harley does this too, the rest sounds like bad habits or being in a strange place and she doesnt know her boundries i agree a bit of time and she would improve no end. Maybe the woman that had her should go to dog training.

Love my Cavaliers
7th March 2009, 03:13 PM
My brother has a mixed breed cavalier with a true docked tail. Her mom was a full-bred cavalier and her dad was a cavapoo (cavalier and poodle I believe). The breeder said she docked the tail so that they couldn't breed her or pass her off as a full-bred cavalier. She has the blenheim markings and is the same size as breed standard. Her fur isn't quite as long or as full, but she does have lovely feathering. Her face is close to a cavalier's - but not quite. Her nose is a little longer and she just doesn't have the cavalier eyes. It's just such a shame to see her non-existent tail next to my four who have such gorgeous, beautiful flags that wave so wonderfully all the time.

chloe92us
7th March 2009, 07:05 PM
Her tail is about 6" long, so there are feathers growing out of the end of it....but it's not as short as a cocker or poodle's would be. Regardless, it is strange looking but still always wagging!