• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Alex's coat

jgponder

I have had my rescue for 10 months now. When we got him his coat was very thin @ 3yrs old. I have let it grow and now it is very thick and beautiful. My question is since he sheds all the time, is there a time of the year that it will get thinner again? I thought perhaps it was thicker because we have such cold weather here, but I hesitate to think how hot he will be this summer if his coat stays this thick.

Jane, mom to Alex, foster to Emma

Nope, pretty much stays thick. I have to use the furminator on him once in awhile. His coat is even thick in the heat of the summer in New England.

if you live somewhere that is hotter, ask your groomer to just thin his coat out. I do it with teddy during late spring before I try to go puppy cut, but I don't always do that. I would try the thinning out because it makes it nice at times to see the full coat.

My Cavaliers coat stays the same all year round. We shave her in the Summer because she is really fluffy and is uncomfortable in the heat (not that we get sweltering Summers in Ireland!). With the modern confort of central heating, quite a lot of dogs don't get the yearly shed (obviously a good few do also) so yours may not get the big molt in Spring. If you are concerned, maybe bring him to a groomer to have his coat clipped and/or thinned when the weather gets warm. :)

Maddie drops a lot of coat for summer - she ends up looking quite threadbare in places. :( Pippin has so far tended to keep his coat, and being B&T he can get hot. Last year we didn't have to clip him, but if we get a proper summer this year (to follow on from the proper winter we've had:p) we may have to consider it.

Back