• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello

Kat S

Hi all,

I am hoping to become a cavalier mum some time next year. I was given a link to the forums by Harley's mum so I can use the boards to get more of an insight into the breed.

I read that naming breeders is frowned upon but I would really like to know how I can check out the people whose puppy list I am on. I have no doubts myself but have been conned before and don't necessarily trust my own judgement 100%. Would it be alright to give a prefix and have people pm me with positive recommendations?

Aside from that, I look forward to readin the wealth of experience on this forum.

Definitely check out your breeder! Both of my Cavaliers were from a reputable breeder here. They both do have heart mumurs. Polka has had an enlarged heart and some sort of murmur since she was 2. She is now 13 1/2, so it didn't affect her way of life. Colleen who I have only had for 2 years, her murmur is worse. i know I have a long road ahead with her. So there isn't a guarantee that you will get a perfect puppy. But I knew what I was getting into, and I would still get another Cavalier from that same breeder. We also got them as older dogs. Just do your homework and talk to everyone you can.
ML Hirsch

Hi & Welcome. Right at the start of this board you will find lots of advice about choosing a breeder.

greetings and welcome, have you considered a rescue cav? for myself Peaches has brought so much happiness in my life i wouldnt change her for anything

Thank you for the welcomes.

Diddy - I did read that article before I posted any the breeder does tick most boxes although doesn't test for SM. I just wondered if there was a way of getting some sort of recommendation.

Ciren - Unfortunately most rescues won't give dogs to households with young children (my youngest is 5). Not for want of trying I assure you :)
Plus I was worried about inheriting a dog with potential health issues. I must admit I am new to cavaliers and much of what I know is what I've read.
I have no idea what sort of health checks are done on rescue cavaliers before they are homed or what sort of ages they are homed at.
Almost all the small dog rescues we have been in touch with have said they usually cater for the older dog who may not appreciate going into a home with young children.
I haven't been in touch with Cavalier breed rescue for these reasons...which is a shame really.

Back