• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very sad story

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
If only he'd had them on a lead. :(

"All Of A Sudden, I Heard A Horn": Man And Dogs Struck And Killed By
Train Monday
March 9, 2009
CityNews.ca Staff

A man and his two dogs are dead after they were hit by a train while walking
in Toronto's midtown.
It happened around 8am Monday on the CN railway tracks that run beside
Shaftsbury Avenue, near Yonge and St. Clair.

A 64-year-old man was walking his two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
off-leash when one of the dogs ran into the path of an oncoming train.

All three were hit when the man tried to rescue it. The man and the first
dog were killed instantly. The second had to be put down by police.

"I saw a guy scramble to grab [the dogs], and I thought there was plenty of
room and plenty of time, and all of a sudden I heard a horn," described
Susan Stock, who lives right across from the tracks and saw the tragedy
unfold...

Honestly, why do people walk their dogs off lead in urban areas?! It's so stupid, it's just asking for an accident to happen! I see people wandering around with dogs off lead all the time, and it drives me mad.

What a sad, horrible story.

Thanks Karlin for an excellent reminder about the basics of the basics. We can't change the facts of this tragedy, but we can all learn from it.

As a surgeon, I fix dogs who were not kept on a leash every day, and ended up hit by a car (truck, garbage truck, bus - you choose).

As we say in my world, it costs pennies to buy a leash, but how much suffering and how many thousands of pounds or dollars to repair the damage?

Dear reader, if you are interested in reading about excellent pet care, you are welcome to subscribe to my (free) newsletter, available from my web site.

Last week's topic was chubby puppies. This week's topic is pet insurance. We will soon talk about cancer in dogs, pain management and much more!

No scam, no pressure, no advertising, no strings attached. Oh, did I say it's free?

drphilzeltzman (doggie surgeon)
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Last edited:
This week's topic is pet insurance.
That should be of interest to a lot of members here...!

On leads and dogs -- I shudder every time I see people walking dogs off lead on city streets as no matter how well trained, there is always going to be at least one thing in that dog's world that will make it give chase or run off... and if that happens to be at the moment a car comes by, you've lost your dog or seriously injured her or him. And I do say "YOU"" because this is an entirely owner-managed risk that is so simple to control -- keep a dog on a lead anywhere there are roads and the possibility of traffic. What always depresses me is the occasional people who seem to think it is some kind of badge of their capability or some macho thing of having to publicly display their control by insisting on walking a dog off lead on roads as if this "proves" anything except they are willing to risk their dog's life. :(

The other thing I hate is people walking dogs on extendible leads on city streets -- with the dog running out and back, and traffic going past. The dog might as well not be on a lead. PLus even if you think you have control, these leads can pop out of the supposedly locked position too easily and also the clumsy handles pop out of an owner's hand so easily too -- even puppies can easily cause an owner to drop the lead completely if you are not totally concentrated on hanging on to it. I know -- I have been there, and will never use these again on city streets, and I have also seen dogs nearly hit by cars that ran out into the street on an Extensa lead. They are *great* for parks and safe open areas but not street walking!

oh my god thats so sad..I don't see any point in blaming the poor man now for having his dogs off the lead,of course it teaches us a valuable lesson, but he died trying to save his dog..my thoughts are with his family and friends..:(

The other thing I hate is people walking dogs on extendible leads on city streets -- with the dog running out and back, and traffic going past. The dog might as well not be on a lead. PLus even if you think you have control, these leads can pop out of the supposedly locked position too easily and also the clumsy handles pop out of an owner's hand so easily too -- even puppies can easily cause an owner to drop the lead completely if you are not totally concentrated on hanging on to it. I know -- I have been there, and will never use these again on city streets, and I have also seen dogs nearly hit by cars that ran out into the street on an Extensa lead. They are *great* for parks and safe open areas but not street walking![/quote]

I totally agree with Karlin. I have used Extensa leads in the past, and the amount of times I have dropped them or the catch gets unlocked or stuck. It’s a nightmare. Luckily I don’t have to walk my dogs in build up areas but I don’t use those leads anymore. They are an accident waiting to happen.

I saw someone the other day with their cavalier off lead & sniffing a lampost right next to a roundabout & a busy 60mph dual carrage way.
in the same area I've seen a tiny ruby pup being walked with no lead , can't have been more than 12 weeks old

Last week's topic was chubby puppies. This week's topic is pet insurance. We will soon talk about cancer in dogs, pain management and much more!

.drphilzeltzman.com[/URL]

I would have liked to read the chubby puppies one. I was looking at photo's of my 4 year old when he was a pup ( before I got him ) & he was like a little hippo ,lol

When im out walking my dogs I put collars and harnesses on. I use the collars for their tags. No matter how tight i've made the harnesses, they have all managed at one time or another to pull out of them. I bought the double lead thingy to walk 2 dogs and its common practice for me to hook the collar and harness now incase one fails. Although my family often makes fun of me for it, after reading this im glad I take that extra precaution. I would die a thousand deaths if I lost one of my dogs because of my negligence

Back