• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

note to self

Ciren

work on leave it command as Peaches WON'T recall when chasing pigeons.

she chased it all the way to the other side of the field. :sl*p:

Just remember it's 2 steps forward and one step backwards! You'll get there in the end.

Have you even thought of training Peaches to be a PAT dog (therapy dog), you seem to enjoy training so much.

i would love her to be my own therapy dog, but i can't find anywhere that would help her train for it. its a pain cause if i could take her with me everywhere it would mean less pressure on hubby and i would go out more.

on the up side she "seems" to be gettign the heel idea (finally)

I don't think you really train a PAT dog - when you realise you have a friendly but calm dog, you think about becoming a PAT volunteer! Having a dog you can take everywhere with you is mostly just a matter of doing it and teaching the dog to behave how you want. For example, showing it how to sit quietly at your side on the bus. 'Settle' is one of the most useful commands to get the dog lying quietly beside you, and it's easy to practise at home while you watch television or read a book in the evening. It's the dogs who only go on a train once a year who find it wildly exciting and behave badly. Oliver goes on at least one short train journey a month, settles down on the floor (after investigating the floor for dropped crisps or biscuits, of course - he is a Cavalier!), and loves all the fuss he gets from admiring strangers. And my younger rescue Aled just copies Oliver and has taken buses, trains and stations in his stride.

So just have a go!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

when i mean go everywhere with me, i really do mean everywhere. like a guide dog would.

you can get seizure alert dogs and a read a article about panic attack trained dog, but when i rang the charity they didn't train that anymore

Unfortunately in the UK there are a lot of places you can't take a dog unless it is a registered assistance dog wearing its proper jacket. I read that Endal's owner is training his new puppy himself, not through the charity that supplied Endal - it will be interesting to see whether he will in fact be able to take the new dog everywhere (but perhaps he's famous enough to get away with it!).

I always find the 'Assistance dogs only' notice a bit odd - the no dogs rule is supposed to be for hygiene reasons, but guide dogs have dirty paws and shed hair just like any other dog, so if they are allowed in restaurants and shops, why can't I take in my equally well-behaved Cavalier?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back