• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosie-Not Good News Its Patella A Problem

Brian M

Hi

Just back from the vets and poor little Rosie has to have an op on her back left leg ,her kneecap pops out ,so help and advice pls or point me in the right direction to read up.:(

This is a luxating patella -- do a search as there are lots of threads on this as well as a thread in the Library heath section including some previous threads about people's experience with the surgery -- she will need lots of crate rest in the weeks following but hopefully then all will be sorted. Did your vet tell you the grade?

I'm really sorry to hear that Brian.Poor girl must really be feeling it.
More to the point are you ok? It must have come as a bit of a shock.
Sins

Hi

No the vet did not mention the grade ,and not knowing anything only having vaguely heard the phrase I had no knowledge to ask ,poor Rosie was trembling so I was hardly listening just thinking about her.
Thank You.I will have a good search and read but its seems better hearing from people whose dogs may have unfortunately have been through this ,but Archie did say the operation will progress in severity depending on what they find ,they may try stitches or have to put a groove in the bone :confused: I think but not sure.

Poor little Roise :( - Ive read up lots about it on this site between the library and the general search function.
Do you know when she will have the surgery?

Hi Louise

Yes its next Wednesday ,but I think I will get the fabric crate out tonight and move her upstairs by my bed to keep her happier and of course me.:(

Poor Rosie, but I'm sure she will feel much better once she's had surgery. :flwr:
My first Cav - Lady - had to have both her back patellas done when she was just over a year old (which was just over 18 years ago:eek:). She would be running along and then they would both slip out and she just collapsed. After surgery she did really well and was able to run about with no problems.

your right, Id try to limit her activity as much as possible until she's done. The poor little pet - give her a big kiss from me :lotsaluv:

Poor Rosie. At least you know what the problem is, and it is something that can be dealt with surgically. Scary I know, but I'm sure she'll make a good recovery. I'll be sending all my positive thoughts your way for Wednesday.

Take care of yourself and little Rosie.:hug::hug:

What a worrying time you are having, but at least Rosie has been diagnosed & the surgery will soon put her to rights again :xfngr: Its just a horrible thing to have to go thro for you & her.
How is Poppy today, you must feel you are living at the vets!

So sorry to hear this, hopefully the surgery will sort things out for her and she'll be right as rain before you know it.

Poor little girl..sending her hugs from us.

aw, poor Rosie. It is terrible how many things are wrong with this precious breed. At least this one has a surgical fix! I hope it goes well.

Hi
Questions and answers again pls ,only just got in from L/pool and Lukes Shotokan and the girls always come with me so far have had no time to read anything but Poppy has had a couple of biscuits and a few treats so I think shes on the mend though we do have another vets appointment at 5.50.PM as a back stop so will see what develops over the next 20 hours.

Now advice on this pls while I was sitting in my car waiting for Luke for the last 2 1/2 hours I phoned Rosies breeder a nice lady from Barnsley she is also a Cav and a Charlie judge she performed three weeks ago in Reading and her comments were .If an L P happens which none of her Cavs has though she says its more common in Charlie's which she also breeds ,shows and judges she would have thought Rosie would have developed her problem generally between 9-12 months so she is late it occurring now with Rosie being 1 1/2 yrs and she also thinks that as there was no sign before and some vets are quick to refer to the knife in her opinion too quick she suggested I observe Rosie over the week - end and if shes fine to cancel the op .
I am now totally confused money is not a problem Rosie is all I want is the best for her and to not suffer what may be an unnecessary op .

What shall I do big help pls.:confused:

Thanks
Brian
ps she does lick and chew her back feet a lot

Sorry to hear about poor Rosie. Will be thinking of you next Wednesday. Meanwhile sending gentle cuddles to Rosie, a cuddle for Poppy (hope those antibiotics have done the trick for her).

Dear Brian, I'm so sorry. I've heard the operation where they make a groove in the bone has a high success rate. :hug:

Brian,

I am a surgeon in the US, so here are my thoughts:

. A medial patellar luxation is a very common problem. There is not really a specific age to diagnose it. This whole business about "being late" is just not accurate (with all due respect).
. You can read about it on my web site, so you can educate yourself (for free).
. The success rate with surgery is EXTREMELY HIGH.... in the right hands.
. It scares me that they're "gonna try sutures first." Again, with all due respect. I don't think that's appropriate. I would say that most patellar luxations would benefit from a tibial crest transposition. If they don't do that, you shouldn't go there. Deepening the groove and adding sutures if typically not enough.
. You seemed scared and confused because you're getting 50 different opinions. That's OK, there is no emergency situation here.
. So what would I suggest? That you seek a referral to a board-certified surgeon, and trust them.
. This is where it gets very confusing for our friends in the UK and Ireland. There, a "veterinary surgeon" is a vet.

. What I mean is, you should get a 2nd opinion from a SURGEON, ie someone who does surgery ONLY (for example, I fixed 4 patellas just in the past 2 weeks!). So, ideally, a board-certified surgeon, either ECVS or ACVS certified.

. There is no way to be confused, these are the only letters you should be looking for. There are plenty of board-certified surgeons around.

. ECVS = European College of Veterinary Surgeons
. ACVS = American College of Veterinary Surgeons

. As a conclusion, patella surgery is not hard to do. It's hard to do well.

And should you be remotely happy with my answer, then please "pay forward" by subscribing to my free newsletter :- )

Good luck and keep us posted.

drphilzeltzman (doggie surgeon in the US)
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Last edited:
Brian,
Please keep us posted on poor Rosie. My Bella also has Luxating Patellas on her hind legs. One is a grade 3, I think, which is where it pops out with just walking, and other activities, but its not slowing her down yet! The other is only a grade 1-2, it will pop out if she jumps off the couch or leaps for something, and can be manipulated by her vet. We have an orthopaedic surgeon that will be doing her surgery. We have to wait until I can get a full week off work to be able to keep her crated and short leash walks to potty. I am planning it in the next 2 months. She is very active and doesn't see to be in pain, so the vet said it was ok to wait for a bit. But not long enough for it to do further damage. I have been reading lots of info as well, but I hearing first hand, from members! Its very helpful!
Good luck! I do agree with the Dr. about finding a board certified surgeon to do it. If your going to pay that much for surgery, it needs to be done right the first time. My vet told me they do a few LP repairs a year, but that she would take her own dog to a surgeon! That was all I needed to hear! GIve hugs to Rosie from Bella and I !!! :flwr:

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about Rosie. Can't say I know much about LP but I did think that they were quite common in Cavaliers.

Seems that you have had some good advice above, so perhaps you could get a second opinion before proceeding with anything. On the bright side, it sounds like it is a solvable problem if you can get the right surgeon to operate, and no drastic hurry (although of course, none of us like to see our dogs in any discomfort).

Keep us posted, and will catch up with you later.

Best wishes,

Back