PDA

View Full Version : Video of Abbey's symptoms

linderbelle
13th March 2009, 02:28 AM
I took this video the week before she went in for her mri. This is what I showed to my new vet. You can view it at our blog:

http://abbeygeorgelinda.blogspot.com/

Its 6 mins long and too long and I apologize--took too much video of her licking her paws but it does show all the different things she did.

laram
13th March 2009, 11:39 AM
Poor baby! Yep, that's very similar to how Sammy was before starting gabapentin. Only difference is he'd lick his front paws rather than back paws and he always made contact with his chin or ear or even eyes :eek: when he scratched, so he did quite a bit of damage. The head rubbing thing especially was very similar. Very sad to see :(

Thanks for posting the video, it really is useful. It would also be really useful to see how Abbey is behaving now.

Best wishes for Abbey!

*Pauline*
13th March 2009, 12:00 PM
That's very interesting. In the last section, I am wondering if the air scratching is a sensation in the foot as she licks it after and in general she licks her feet a lot so must be feeling something wrong in her foot? I always thought airs scratching was always a sensation on the body. What do you think?

Thank you for posting this. :flwr:

linderbelle
13th March 2009, 12:46 PM
She licked her feet ALOT. Places on the carpet when we had carpet was like somebody had almost peed on the carpet. A few times at night woke up and thought she had peed in our bed but knew she wouldn't. Was still told allergies. Pauline that video was not shot at one time. Various times to show all her symptoms. The only one we didn't shoot was her on lead. Not sure on body vs feet. Apparently with her must be both and more. I'm trying to get the video moved to youtube--opened up a account there as the video is stopping and starting but bear with me as it takes time.

Excellent idea on the video of how she is doing. Thanks for mentioning that laram. Will do one tonight if hubby gets home before its dark. I'd be too scared to be videoing her outside etc. as I'm ready to grab her. That is such a great idea though--I think I will video her once a week. Why didn't I think of that--lol.

She's doing better every day and so are we.

linderbelle
13th March 2009, 12:50 PM
and yes it breaks my heart to watch the video. When I watched it last night I felt sick to my stomach. Goes back to her being diagnosed as allergies for so many years and she was in pain.

Charlifarley
15th March 2009, 11:32 AM
Linda, thanks for posting the video, at times I felt I could be watching my dog. He is undergoing immunotherapy for an allergy to house dust mite. I am really really hoping that is all that is going on for him, but I have to say, I seriously have my doubts. When he was younger I noticed him yelping and jumping up for no apparent reason, which I put down to a 'bad dream', but now I think it could have been due to pain, but there have been no signs of pain at all with him for at least two years.
Could I ask you, when you were told Abbey had allergies, were you told that it was something specific, like I was, or were you told it was a general thing? My vet is good, I have confidence in him, and I am happy to pursue the immunotherapy route for now, but if it doesn't work, then I will push for an MRI to rule out SM.

Hope Abbey stays on that road to recovery, keep well yourself too, you are so dedicated, my hat goes off to you :thmbsup:

MadPip
15th March 2009, 02:35 PM
Linda, thank you so much for posting that video. Although there are some really good descriptions of the signs and syymptoms of SM available, it really helps to see these videos of the poor little mites in action, so to speak. It gives us all a better idea what to look out for in our own precious darlings.

I hope Abbey recovers well, and you remember to take care of yourself as well as your precious little girl.

linderbelle
15th March 2009, 03:33 PM
Charli--sounds like yours has had allergy testing. Correct me if I'm wrong. Abbey had not had any allergy testing. I think in my blog I wrote that I had tested umpteen shampoos--umpteen different foods--even made their own food. Did that after finding Cavalier Talk. I don't like it when you say about the jumping and yelping--that doesn't sound like an allergy to me BUT I am not a doctor. Also, the methylprednisolone was masking Abbey's symptoms--not sure what drugs yours is on. I had faith in my vet too--for me that was the problem--had gone to her for 10 years and I'm sure this has gotten to her alot too. I have spoken to her since all this and she never even said to me "I'm sorry". I know everybody has told me not to blame your vet but in my boat the least she could have said are those two words.

This is like a fresh wound for me so again I am not a doctor and don't want to veer you into thinking your dog has sm so I'm trying to be careful in what I write.

harleyfarley
15th March 2009, 03:50 PM
How is she now linda, what are the main benefits of the surgery. di

linderbelle
15th March 2009, 04:03 PM
She sleeps alot and I'm sure its the gabapentin. Before the surgery she was either sleeping or was in pain with the symptoms. She spends most of her time during the day in that playpen in the picture--I'm assuming you've been at "our" blog. She lets us know when she wants attention. She wags her tail and is happy when we talk to her. She's eating well. I think its really too early to make an assessment. We call the neurologist tomorrow to give a report. The last time we spoke he wanted us to call back on monday. On our last conversation he said he was very pleased at what we were reporting and we were reporting about the symptoms etc. I'll post tomorrow on what he says.

The reason we did the surgery are:

her age
symptoms for a long time and how miserable she was
the word "progression"--scared the hayull out of us on that one--waiting till she fell over --then what---put to sleep?
she had a seizure 2 weeks after getting her--sure she's been in pain all her life

Charlifarley
15th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Linda, I am so sorry if I have upset you with my questions, that was the last thing I wanted to do. :flwr: :flwr:
I am just trying to figure out if this immunotherapy is going to work, or if I am putting off the inevitable.
Take care,
Charlie

linderbelle
15th March 2009, 04:12 PM
Charli--you haven't upset me at all. What gave you the idea that you upset me???? I apologize if I wrote something that gave you that idea.

Charlifarley
15th March 2009, 04:32 PM
This is like a fresh wound for me so again.[/quote]

I felt a bit guilty when I read that.

Ok, so lets stop apologizing to each other so!:thmbsup:

Margaret C
17th March 2009, 12:06 AM
I think your video of symptoms will be so helpful. Thank you for doing this.

SM symptoms can sound so ordinary when you try & describe them. Seeing a little cavalier showing the extreme discomfort that can be caused speaks so much louder than words.
My old William rubs his body round the furniture just like Abbey.

I am reading your blog every day & keeping my fingers crossed for you and Abbey.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

linderbelle
17th March 2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Margaret. Thank you for your post. Means alot to me and the video already has done some good as you have seen on my blog. I look at the video now and think to myself how could I think her actions were allergies. Guess my mind still plays tricks on me as then I didn't know what I know now about sm and I guess I just thought she was itchy. *sigh* I'm not sure how much my daily posts are really helping at this point so debating on whether to start going on a monthly deal etc. I'm curious though when you say you go to it daily could you please give me input as to what you are looking for etc.

harleyfarley
17th March 2009, 02:51 PM
Linda, I dont think your realise just how much help you really are, even to people to myself whose dog (hopefully) isnt a sufferer, sometimes he rubs his head, like across the floor, and shakes his head some days quite a lot, and i think "is this sm, do i need to be concerned" seeing your video really has shown me what it would look like had he got sm, what were the earlist symptoms to show first. di

ilsamom
17th March 2009, 06:39 PM
Linda

I want you to know that I also check your blog almost every day.
I think about you and Abbey often and am concerned and interested about how you ladies are feeling, and hoping Abbey is improving and feeling well.
It is also a useful record for many like myself who are considering or awaiting the surgery to know what to expect and what is normal. I think you can help many people with your record and I hope you will continue. If every day is too difficult it's understandable, but many of us appreciate your updates when you feel up to it.

Thinking of you both

Jen and Ilsa

Margaret C
17th March 2009, 10:53 PM
Guess my mind still plays tricks on me as then I didn't know what I know now about sm and I guess I just thought she was itchy. *sigh* I'm not sure how much my daily posts are really helping at this point so debating on whether to start going on a monthly deal etc. I'm curious though when you say you go to it daily could you please give me input as to what you are looking for etc.

I certainly look back now & think how could I not know? I think that is the same for most of the owners of SM dogs.

Even now that SM is widely discussed, how do you believe the unbelievable? There is a lot of owners struggling with the same dilemma & your video will help them identify what they are seeing.

I visit your blog daily because I so want to know that it has been worthwhile for you, & that Abbey is okay and progressing well.

I think you will find there is a lot of people rooting for you, your husband, & your little dog.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

Cathy Moon
18th March 2009, 12:30 AM
Yes, thanks for posting the video - it will help others.:thmbsup:

Geordie's symptoms are more subtle; I will try to get a video. It is helpful to see the variations in symptoms.

linderbelle
18th March 2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks all for caring. We put in a call to the neurologist this early evening but of course was too late for a call back. Hopefully he's in tomorrow and can call in the a.m. I will post in the blog when he calls. I know what you mean Harley--I'm watching Bentley too--probably have never mentioned that but seen a couple weird things and I'm terrified. I don't think I could go through this again without ending up in the funny farm.

stacy710
18th March 2009, 02:17 AM
I can't imagine how difficult this has to be for you. But the fact that you are going through this and are still able to do the video not only for your own reasons but to help others recognize or be aware of the symptoms is amazing to me. You and Abbey are in our thoughts. I hope she continues to improve. Hang in there!

linderbelle
19th March 2009, 10:28 AM
I was not prepared at all for her symptoms to be post-op so soon. I've talked to a handful of people that have been through this and never heard of it. I don't know if I'm overreacting or not but I've had about 13 hrs. of sleep in the past 3 days and I'm exhausted both emotionally and physically. Also, I hate even posting anymore as I feel like I'm such a downer--doesn't seem like anything to write positive. Going to be a long day. I've written on my blog but will write in here as cavalier talk holds a special place in my heart and always will as this is the site that helped me figure out that my baby did NOT have allergies and there was something else wrong with her. I talked to the neurologist yesterday and cried to the neurologist too. Taking her in there today so they can check her out and I have alot of concerns and questions right now and I'm scared.

Sorry sorry sorry for being such a downer.

nubus
19th March 2009, 10:42 AM
ohhh linderbella dont be so hard on yourself its people like you who care that makes this site so wonderfull it was your post that gave me the push to go and get my little girl the help she needed i thankyou for that you feel so down because you care so much and these babies need people like you and others on this site to make this condition more well known and understood keep strong thinking of you :lotsaluv:

Cathy Moon
19th March 2009, 10:47 PM
Also, I hate even posting anymore as I feel like I'm such a downer--doesn't seem like anything to write positive.
I remember feeling the same way with Charlie, in fact that is why I stopped writing on his blog. :( It was good to write about the positive things, but when he had bad days, it became difficult to write. In retrospect I wish I had finished the blog, even though his story ended several weeks later. I kept worrying that someone would take it the wrong way, and maybe base their decision on what I wrote about Charlie.

One of our members, 'Molly's mom' (Bev) has a lovely tricolor girl who had decompression surgery. Molly and Bev went through an extremely difficult and worrying time after surgery with Molly in pain. But finally Molly came through it, and we all rejoiced.

The thing is, no one can predict the future. I felt Molly's story has offered a lot of hope.

pippa
20th March 2009, 12:18 AM
Linda...just to let you know that you and Abbey are in my thoughts.

I am also following your blog for Abbey. Hope her check-up went ok today and you got some of your concerns and questions answered.

linderbelle
20th March 2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks Nubus. That makes me feel good about my post giving you the nudge also. I have received e-mails and comments in regards to the video and posts have helped a few and they know in their hearts their dogs have it after watching the video--just like I did the day on here watching a couple videos. I feel very good in that aspect that we are helping others.

Cathy--I have spoken to Bev on the phone and many many e-mails etc. She had forgotten about the beginning etc. and Bev has been a rock to me lets say.

In regards to the negative etc. I'm trying not to do that on this site. On my blog I will pour my heart out. Like somebody on a coment in my blog said that it wouldn't be a blog unless I did and that really hit me when this person said that.

Pippa thank you for caring. It means alot and I know I have gotten emotionally involved on some dogs in here so I know what that feels like also.

Thank you again everybody and I did write a little post on my blog this a.m. in regards to yesterday and will write more later but I'm feeling alot better.

jld
20th March 2009, 01:39 PM
Linda, just read your blog, and I am so glad you are feeling better. I will look forward to your next post. Hope you are getting some much-needed rest. Judy

Charlifarley
20th March 2009, 02:10 PM
Linda, I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. I hope you got a good nights sleep last night - everything always looks better after a decent sleep.

I just watched your new video of Abbey and one thing stood out to me...that little tail going like the clappers when she saw you, she might be in pain, but she knows who loves her and looks after her, thats for sure. Lucky girl.

If you read these posts and your blog again in a few weeks time I bet you will be able to see how much she has come on.
Charlie

linderbelle
20th March 2009, 07:34 PM
Yes I know that she knows we love her also. I just have to talk to her and she wags her tail. In that video when I watch it now it drives me nuts how many times I ask her if she wants to go outside--lol. She probably said to herself--awww shuddup mom I already answered that 3 times--lol. I was just trying to show how you talk to her and her tail wags--lol.

Margaret C
20th March 2009, 10:38 PM
Dear Linda,

I'm still cheering you & Abbey on every day.

I really hope that the allergy treatment helps & you both get a good night's rest

Margaret C

linderbelle
17th April 2009, 12:43 AM
Somebody suggested that I should do a new video of Abbey so I just posted a new video at my blog today of Abbey today 6 weeks after her surgery. She's doing so well now and I'm sooo pleased. I'm almost afraid to say anything more. We've both certainly paid our dues. I think her head tilt is better but maybe I'm just dreaming. Hard to tell when you see her all the time. She's getting pretty much back to normal now. Her personality is coming out more and more and so nice to see. Our blog is at:

http://abbeygeorgelinda.blogspot

I can't thank all the people on here that have shown their support but it sure helped and was most appreciated. There are no words except to say Thank you which seems so small.

:thnku:

Sandrac
17th April 2009, 12:25 PM
Wow, what a difference, she certainly looks happy and no you are not dreaming the head tilt has virtually gone. Way to go Abbey:w**h**:

tupup
17th April 2009, 07:12 PM
the link wont work on mine im getting cannot display page-i'll go to where ive added your page to favs instead! comments to follow.....:)

Margaret C
17th April 2009, 10:30 PM
So nice to know you are both feeling so much better.

What a beautiful little girl she is.

Margaret C

*Pauline*
17th April 2009, 10:42 PM
Somebody suggested that I should do a new video of Abbey

That was me Linda, thank you so much. It made my day to see even the head tilt gone, astounding really. I really think this is encouraging to see and helpful for those who want the surgery done. I'm sure it has given some a bit of hope. I'm really happy for your family. :hug:

ilsamom
18th April 2009, 01:59 AM
She is beautiful and looks so happy and healthy in her video!!!!
It is encouraging for so many of us and I thank you for taking the time to share Abbey's progress.

Jen and Ilsa

linderbelle
18th April 2009, 02:00 AM
Its not gone all the time. Today I've been looking at her and its tilted. I guess its not always tilted. She is alot better though. I'm seeing things in her that I haven't seen in ages and I mean ages. Tonight the 3 other dogs were having quite a party and playing--even Winston my laziest ever shih tzu who usually watches Bentley and Chelsea play and thinks oh my gosh all that energy--lol. Well, Abbey started to get in the action and I immediately picked her up and she's on the other side of the gate--I can see her. Hate to do it to her as its like she's being punished but after all this time I'm not taking any chances. The neurologist said she could be back to herself now but I'm still taking precautions. Guess I'm still being overcautious--can't help it. I'm very very pleased at what I'm seeing at just 6 weeks though and hope it stays this way. One thing is that I do think she sticks her tongue out more than she used to but doc says no biggie--she has control of it which she does. Guess she likes it to hang out--lol.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and she's with me--still not sleeping with hubby--he's got the other dogs with him. I wake up and just massage her. Just feels very good to have her so much better and warms my heart as she's my baby. Amazing how much you can love these 4-legged guys. :p:p

tupup
18th April 2009, 08:46 PM
Hi im so pleased that Abbey is getting back to her old ways & even wanting to play, wow, that must be so good for you after all the terrible worry. youre bound to be cautious as yet & im sure she knows youre only looking out for her.
ive still not seen your new video as my flash player is playing up but im sure she just looks cuter with her tongue out, still its good that the doc says its not a problem

harleyfarley
19th April 2009, 12:52 PM
I cant seem to get the video to work linda, but am sooooooo pleased to hear she is much better, i have watched the previous video and it helps as i know what to lookout for and tells me that the little things he does at odd times is prob nothing to worry about. I know what you mean about loving them, ive been in bits about harleys hip so im with you on that one. I read all your posts with interest, and at least you are telling us all there is hope out there. di

harleyfarley
19th April 2009, 12:59 PM
Hey, it worked this time Linda, she is lovely, how old is abbey, she doesnt look very old and she is a sweetheart, di

linderbelle
19th April 2009, 02:25 PM
Glad it worked for you. She turned 5 in January. I'm very pleased at this point. She was pretty bad and in alot of pain--I know at this point its hard for me to tell what was allergies and what was sm but before the surgery the neurologist did say she was in alot of pain. Poor thing has probably suffered all her life. We're very optimistic at this point and positive. As you can read in my journal its been a roller coaster ride. Thanks Harley.