PDA

View Full Version : Very Good News for Maggie

Maggles
13th March 2009, 09:51 AM
I wanted to share this story with everyone.

Maggie is our 1 year old tricolor. Since around the age of 7 months, she's been scratching her neck and ears a LOT, face-plowing without any obvious reason several times a day, and showing a few other frightening signs. She flycatches sometimes, and I'd even seen her air scratch (like pedaling a bicycle with a back paw) at least twice before. I was convinced that we would get an SM diagnosis.

When we brought Mags in to the vet, she was diagnosed with allergies. We knew from blood work that she's very allergic to grass and fleas. So we changed her flea medication, but... at less than a year old it's rare for atopic allergies to manifest. And so many on the board have had years of allergies as an incorrect diagnosis... with the encouragement of our dermatologist and after reading your stories, we found courage and motivation to get her tested and treated.

Today Maggie scanned completely clear of CM, SM and PSOM. She may develop problems later but we know that the severe scratching is not from a syrinx.

I just about fell off my chair when we got the news and it has still not sunk in.

Most of you know far more about this than I do, but in case this helps someone I wanted to add this: the only symptom of her allergy is a pink belly. It wasn't bright pink or anything - I assumed it was her normal skin color, but after a successful run of an antihistamine, it turned snowy white.

If you suspect SM - even if you are treating SM... check for a pink belly. Your cav could have an allergy which would make the SM symptoms worse and treatment seem less effective.

thanks very much for reading, blessings to all.
~lorna :paw:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-QohdEBh-oI/SRfphc8TJ-I/AAAAAAAGs90/6YkOO853nks/s720/IMG_8133.JPG

Jan Bell
13th March 2009, 10:51 AM
Lorna,

Thanks for this. All of us worry about our Cavaliers, and it's easy to imagine the worse, but so good to hear the times when it turns out to be all ok.

I think it is very important to know what SM symptoms are and be fully informed, but it is also important to remember not to jump to conclusions.

I love a story with a happy ending! And what a beautiful picuture - I hope she is reading Cavalier Talk.

Maggles
13th March 2009, 10:58 AM
She is!! It's a bit blurry but that's the main page of cavaliertalk. :D

Nicki
13th March 2009, 11:27 AM
Oh that's wonderful news - really pleased for you

:xfngr: that Maggie recovers completely with allergy treatment and never develops any SM problems.

*Pauline*
13th March 2009, 12:18 PM
What a fantastic result and with no CM I'd assume you can relax a bit about the future.

Ciren
13th March 2009, 12:30 PM
naw that picture is adorable! Peaches likes sleeping on my mouse mat as well :D i am glad to hear the good news tho :D

Margaret C
13th March 2009, 01:07 PM
What wonderful news. I am so pleased for you

What a beautiful photo of your little tricolour girl.

Margaret C

MadPip
13th March 2009, 01:26 PM
That is brilliant news. :thmbsup:

Can I ask what antihistamine Maggie had, and did it make her drowsy/ lethargic? I have an allergic dog, and piriton (chlorpheniramine) doesn't work for her. She was on Tavegil last summer which worked better, but not completely, and it really made her lethargic. So I'm on the lookout for any suggestions really before we hit this years allergy season.

meljoy
13th March 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi,
I know the relief you're feeling and Im so happy for you and your little one.

Mel:rah:

Jasperxxgabby
13th March 2009, 05:53 PM
Brilliant news :D.

A lovely pic of Maggie she is gorgeous.

Claire L
13th March 2009, 07:03 PM
:jump: Yay for a bit of GOOD NEWS for a change!!! :rah:

Maggie you are a little doll and I'm so glad that you are not showing any signs of SM :lotsaluv::hug:

Brian M
13th March 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi
And what great news for the two of you,I bet you will both have a nice peaceful worry free sleep tonight .It must be like a thousand birthdays rolled into one.:thmbsup::jump::jump::jump:

lorebringer
13th March 2009, 09:26 PM
That's great news:thmbsup:

The pic is great too!

Karlin
13th March 2009, 11:24 PM
That's excellent news! :) And a reminder that people should *always* thoroughly investigate all possible alternatives with their vet before ever assuming an SM diagnosis. My SM site lists a whole sequence of steps to go through (http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/diagnosing/isthissm.html) before asking for a referral to a neurologist. :thmbsup:

If this dog has a pedigree it would be important to send pedigree/registration info and the scan results to Dr Sarah Blott in the UK. Dr Clare Rusbridge may also be interested in it for research.